• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this overtraining?

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have alot of time on my hands these days.

I've been doing this workout where one component of it is aiming to do 1000 pushups a day Mon/Wed/Fri in sets of 50, and then once I get there I'll start trying to do it in as few sets as possible.

Is doing 3000+ pushups a week inadvisable? Right now I can certainly see improvement, and want to keep going. In addition to this I want to work up to 100 pull ups on the same day and I also do some dips and back extensions. On the other days I work legs, go running/rucking, and do 1000 situps and other ab things.

Thanks in advance.

If your already use to working out, I wouldn't call it over training, but its not really proper training.

Doing 3000 pushups is great, but without an equal workout for your back you are promoting injury later on down the road.

Why don't you try some crossfit workouts if pushups/situps/pullups is your thing?

Heres some examples..

"Cindy"
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats (just air squats, below parallel no weight)
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can.

..some of the Crossfit monsters are on the north side of 30 rounds for this workout.. give it a try.

"Angie"
100 pullups
100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats
For time.. (perform these in order, no mixing up sets.)

I've seen sub 10 min times...

Also..

"Murph"
With a 20lb vest (body armour)
Run 1 mile
100 pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
Run 1 mile
For time.. (break down sets as needed, pullups, pushups, squats can be completed in any order and can mix)

Now theses are only a couple examples of some "weightless" workouts and this is not only what crossfit is but its a few specific ones that require less equipment.

Time is your best competition, try and beat it.

popnfresh said:
Hey guys,

So I have alot of time on my hands these days.

I've been doing this workout where one component of it is aiming to do 1000 pushups a day Mon/Wed/Fri in sets of 50, and then once I get there I'll start trying to do it in as few sets as possible.

Is doing 3000+ pushups a week inadvisable? Right now I can certainly see improvement, and want to keep going. In addition to this I want to work up to 100 pull ups on the same day and I also do some dips and back extensions. On the other days I work legs, go running/rucking, and do 1000 situps and other ab things.

Thanks in advance.

Although I think numbers like this are completely insane (For me anyway  ;D), they don't necessarily constitute overtraining until you reach the point where your ability to do the same numbers either gets harder or near impossible.  Track your workouts and results closely.  If it starts getting too hard to do something that used to be easy, start doing something else and stay away from this workout for awhile.

Sounds like you might as well go for the Guiness record while you're at it, seriously

http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/pushups.html

Then forget the pushups, get an 80lb ruck on your back, find a 3000ft hill, and graduate to doing some real 'infantry' fitness training!  ;D

I'm calling bullshit.

20 sets of 50 pushups? A guy in decent shape will max out at one set of 50 proper push ups. Genetic freaks rarely pass 80 pushups in a single set. You're either not doing them right, you're a freak of nature, or you're bullshitting. Which is it?

I'm also going to call bullshit on your 80lb smallpack weight. 80lbs is not the kind of weight you throw in a smallpack and have it be more comfortable then a ruck. I'll be that the issued smallpack will fall apart with 80lbs in it.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/76951.15.html

Some professional fighters do 1000 per day.  I'm not sure how spread out they are, or how many per set.
Not being in, or knowing anything about the small pack, I back out now.

A guy who does 1000 push ups a day - professional or not - does not need to come onto army.ca and ask how his training is going. He'd have been doing it for long enough to know where he stands in relation to the rest of the human population.

This thread reminds me of that scene in Anchorman when Will Farrell tries to impress Tara Ried as she's walking over to his office. He runs over and grabs a dumbell and starts curling: "one thousand and one, one thousand and two.... oh! I didn't see you walk in. I was busy working out... I like to stay in shape, ya know..."

Wonderbread said:
A guy who does 1000 push ups a day - professional or not - does not need to come onto army.ca and ask how his training is going. He'd have been doing it for long enough to know where he stands in relation to the rest of the human population.

This thread reminds me of that scene in Anchorman when Will Farrell tries to impress Tara Ried as she's walking over to his office. He runs over and grabs a dumbell and starts curling: "one thousand and one, one thousand and two.... oh! I didn't see you walk in. I was busy working out... I like to stay in shape, ya know..."

I'm not even sure where to start.

If you read my post, you will see I'm WORKING my way up to 20 sets of 50, I add about 100 a week so my body can ease into it, and obviously i spread the sets out a bit, morning and night. I was attempting to ask if doing so long term would result in joint/muscle problems. I am going to give my body a week with no pushups or pullups to heal and just focus on other areas LIKE RUCKING to be safe. I thought army.ca might be an appropriate place to ask, I'm sorry I offended you.

As for your comment about genetic freaks only being able to do 80 pushups, I've seen guys do 100+ on tests administered by the PSP staff...as for the small pack weight, I'm not even going to address that as I did in another thread. I don't think you ever replied.

Anyways thanks for all the sarcasm and doubt, it is appreciated.

If you read my post, you will see I'm WORKING my way up to 20 sets of 50, I add about 100 a week so my body can ease into it, and obviously i spread the sets out a bit, morning and night.

Seen.

I blame it on mondays.

Wonderbread said:

Tara Reid wasnt in Anchorman....:P

yikes, my mistake again.

It wasn't Tara Reid, it was the one who looks similar to Tara Reid - Christina Applegate.

33342669---christina_applegate.jpg

1019_tara_reid_reservation_road_04.jpg

Again, I'll blame it on a case of the grumpy mondays. :-\

Actually, to be acurate, Tara Reid looks like Christina Applegate, since CA is older.

Thanks for the cute pictures.

One last thing could anyone tell me what the best ways to do rope climbs are? Tie a rope to a big tree or something? I live in a residential area and was thinking of rucking it to the trails and finding a good tree. I kind of have to do it away from my family since my uncle died in a rope climbing accident back in the day.

Oh and for anyone interested I've stopped doing high sets of pushups/pullups for the week to relax my joints and at some point find my new maximum reps.

Thanks again all.

popnfresh said:
Thanks for the cute pictures.

One last thing could anyone tell me what the best ways to do rope climbs are? Tie a rope to a big tree or something? I live in a residential area and was thinking of rucking it to the trails and finding a good tree. I kind of have to do it away from my family since my uncle died in a rope climbing accident back in the day.

Oh and for anyone interested I've stopped doing high sets of pushups/pullups for the week to relax my joints and at some point find my new maximum reps.

Thanks again all.

Find a gym you can use that has ropes hanging from the roof, like a high school?

daftandbarmy said:
Find a gym you can use that has ropes hanging from the roof, like a high school?

They aren't too commonplace anymore, knowing this after going to school at one place, and working in another...

and have you seen kids these days?  :o

popnfresh said:
They aren't too commonplace anymore, knowing this after going to school at one place, and working in another...

and have you seen kids these days?  :o

Yes I have, and I get your drift.

OK, so I've done lotsa of rope climbing in my days and I can tell you it's a pain in the posterior. Unless you're training for a particular course where rope climbing tests are mandatory (e.g., the Royal Marines Commando Course) I would strongly recommend a climbing gym as an excellent alternative. You don't even need to 'rope up', just boulder around a few feet off the floor. You could even do some real rock climbing if you want fun and exercise at the same time. And the last time I was at Squamish, two weeks ago, there were about a zillion little climbing hotties there as well - all of whom seemed to be able to climb at least three grades higher than me without breaking a sweat. Wonderful motivation for you young bucks - merely humiliating for old farts like me.

Climb on, dude.

Wonderbread said:
I'm calling bullshit.

20 sets of 50 pushups? A guy in decent shape will max out at one set of 50 proper push ups. Genetic freaks rarely pass 80 pushups in a single set. You're either not doing them right, you're a freak of nature, or you're bullshitting. Which is it?

I'm also going to call bullshit on your 80lb smallpack weight. 80lbs is not the kind of weight you throw in a smallpack and have it be more comfortable then a ruck. I'll be that the issued smallpack will fall apart with 80lbs in it.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/76951.15.html

Wonderbread, I used to do over 120 pushups in one set, in fact I don't remember me ever being completely exhausted and quitting after 120 was just from sheer boredome.  I was either 19 or 20 yo in the navy.  Mind you I was doing 27-29 chinups as well, and I aint no genetic freak.  So it is very much possible for young ambitious fellow to do over 100.  How much doing them right is right? Those aren't very complicated moves.

weiss said:
Wonderbread, I used to do over 120 pushups in one set, in fact I don't remember me ever being completely exhausted and quitting after 120 was just from sheer boredome.   I was either 19 or 20 yo in the navy.  Mind you I was doing 27-29 chinups as well, and I aint no genetic freak.  So it is very much possible for young ambitious fellow to do over 100.  How much doing them right is right? Those aren't very complicated moves.
Man your pullups are killer. I've been lifting for a few years with free weights. Pushups are pretty easy to me but pullups..I can't even do one. Thankfully a member on this site sent me some advice. :cheers:

Oh just an update since this got dredged up.

I did my pushup program for about a month and a half, and now my single set max is about 20 pushups higher then it was before. I've taken a break from it for now just to give my body rest and am focusing more on pullups and chinups. I've been doing some pullups with a 25lb dumbell between my legs and it's quite challenging and fun. Volume seems to be key on most of these types of movements...

AlphaQup said:
Man your pullups are killer. I've been lifting for a few years with free weights. Pushups are pretty easy to me but pullups..I can't even do one. Thankfully a member on this site sent me some advice. :cheers:
Would you kindly forward that advice? I could sure use it.

Back