• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is it possible to be accepted to the CAF with undiagnosed depression?

Folks, can we stay on topic? OP had a genuine question and came back with a followup.

. . . undiagnosed seasonal depression, and I currently take St. John's Wort every winter.
LogO, NWO, or HCA. Would any of those trades be affected?

The specific trades don't matter as it is the nature of the duties that precludes use of St. John's Wort, but incidentally at least one of those occupations could require duties in that environment at a later time in career.

However, you should be aware that you will be required to inform the recruiting medical staff of your "undiagnosed" depression and self-medication. Do I think it will be a major issue that would disqualify you from enrolment? Probably not, but I'm not doing recruit medicals so my opinion doesn't really matter. You may be asked to provide additional information concerning your SAD/mental health including an opinion from your civilian physician. And before you ask the question "why, I didn't see a doctor about it" - doesn't matter, you're the one who presents with a situation outside the baseline, it's up to you to provide any information that recruiting medical authorities might need to make a decision.

Also, be aware that if you are enrolled, supplements are prohibited during basic training.

While I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist, is addressing and resolving the cause of your depression an option? If you can get to the point of no longer requiring supplements, the issue becomes moot.

While I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist, is addressing and resolving the cause of your depression an option? If you can get to the point of no longer requiring supplements, the issue becomes moot.

Well it's seasonal, so the only way to resolve it would be to move to an area with a lot of sunlight/no winter. Which I don't think would be realistically possible - I can't imagine the military would deploy me to only warm or tropical areas when, for instance, their operational needs are elsewhere.

However, I'm still able to function without St. John's Wort (I've only started taking them two years ago despite it affecting me for as long as I can remember). The difference is I'd feel more negative emotions/have a negative mindset, and to an extent more aggressive/willing to fight (which might be good in a combat situation, though I can also imagine how it might be counterproductive).

Well it's seasonal, so the only way to resolve it would be to move to an area with a lot of sunlight/no winter. Which I don't think would be realistically possible - I can't imagine the military would deploy me to only warm or tropical areas when, for instance, their operational needs are elsewhere.

However, I'm still able to function without St. John's Wort (I've only started taking them two years ago despite it affecting me for as long as I can remember). The difference is I'd feel more negative emotions/have a negative mindset, and to an extent more aggressive/willing to fight (which might be good in a combat situation, though I can also imagine how it might be counterproductive).

In my time in uniform I have spent weeks in bunkers, and other cramped, dark and airless places. This is an inevitable feature of military service, regardless of your trade.

The aggressiveness thing is definitely not an asset either, believe me. I mean, really, we only want you to turn into a fantaical killer when we need you to be, not of your own volition ;)

The difference is I'd feel more negative emotions/have a negative mindset, and to an extent more aggressive/willing to fight (which might be good in a combat situation, though I can also imagine how it might be counterproductive).

If you deploy somewhere and don't have access to this stuff it sounds like you'd be a liability to yourself and others.

If not taking this leaves you with negative emotions and thoughts you should see a psychologist or psychiatrist before joining the military.

Back