• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IODP 1.1 (Phase III) Winter vs. Summer serials

ryanghg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for information on the differences between doing Phase III during the winter and summer. After speaking to officers who have done one or the other, I have come up with some positives and negatives on both sides. I would appreciate any input and advice!

Given the opportunity, would you choose one over the other?

On another note, would anyone have additional information on the changes that have been made to the course? I understand that the field portions of the course will now all be done together. I have also heard that reservists are no longer able to complete the course in mods... is there truth to this statement?

Thanks!

Here's the ground truth:
The difference between the summer and winter (autumn, actually) serials of IODP 1.1 are this:
It's colder in the autumn
There's less daylight in the autumn

(Yes, we ran winter serials, but they are logistically and administratively not worth the effort.  If at all possible, we, the Infantry School, will avoid conducting them)

Given the opportunity, I would choose neither, truth be told.  >:D 

OK, changes to the course.  The content has NOT changed one bit from last summer.  The method in which that content is delivered has changed.

Right now, the course is 13 weeks long, and is no longer conducted in modules.  (Having said that, the course will be able to be delivered in some sort of modularised form for the 2% of reservists who need to do it in this method.  Having said that, of course, the Commanding Officer of the units are the ones who make that decision, not the candidate.  As stated, 98% of reservists show up and do the course in its entirety in one go.)

A snapshot of the course sees it going like this:
Weapons (hold, aim and fire platoon weapons, which as of 01 January 2012 will be the GPMG (light and SF roles) and the SRAAW (M))
FFQ
Theory of Operations (offense, defence, patrolling)
Offensive Battleschool (7-ish days)
Offensive confirmation ex (10-ish days)
Defensive Battleschool (5-ish days)
Defensive confirmation ex (8-ish days)

I'm here to tell you, with some authority, that if you plan on becoming an infantry officer in the Primary Reserve, it behooves you to conduct the course in one go.  One unwritten "check" on the course is the confirmation of your ability to "tough it out" for 13 weeks.  It's a long haul, but in the end, it's a good course that really tests you: physically, psychologically and emotionally.

I hope that this helps.

interesting that they moved FFQ to the front of the course... any reason for this?

Stymiest said:
interesting that they moved FFQ to the front of the course... any reason for this?
Yes, it was deliberate, and not just to end the course on a "high note" (eg: final attack with bells and whistles.  And arty sims, etc).  As stated, the candidates (who are essentially recruits, save for the CFRs and UTPNCMs) learn how to hold, aim and fire the Pl Sp Wpns, and even then, it's a glorified intro.  Immediately following that, they learn FFQ which, so it's hoped, they will better understand the effects of the weapons.  For example, during the weapons, they learn the max ranges of say the GPMG of 1800 metres.  That's fine for employment; however, once they do FFQ, for the same weapon, they better understand how far the bullets travel, and have a greater understanding for the "why" of such things as the 50 mil safety angle, even in war.

Thanks for your informative reply Technoviking. Much appreciated.

When did they get rid of patrolling (or, more likely, where did they move it)?  My best memories were the 26 straight patrols over 10 days and watching people drool on their FMP as they tried to stay awake for orders....

Patrolling is mixed in with the offensive operations.  So, attacks by day, patrols by night, rinse and repeat.  :)

Infanteer said:
When did they get rid of patrolling (or, more likely, where did they move it)?  My best memories were the 26 straight patrols over 10 days and watching people drool on their FMP as they tried to stay awake for orders....
*insert full body shudder*
Patrolling mod = Satan's playground

I did a winter Phase III and it sucked, only thing that was good about it was that the weather c*cked us so the instructors didn't have to... as much.

Technoviking said:
Given the opportunity, I would choose neither, truth be told.  >:D 

Are you saying you prefer the spring then for the course?  ;)  And why is that?

Infanteer said:

HA!

Better was the people drooling on their FMPs trying to stay awake while they GAVE their orders.

Back