• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Reserve officer moving to a loc w/o a unit

Lanyon

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was hoping someone on here might be able to shine some light on a situation i'm going to have to deal with in the near future.  I'm a qualified reserve infantry platoon commander (completed IODP1.1 in December 2011) serving with a unit in an urban center in Ontario.

However, in the next few months, I'm going to be moving back out west to my home town in northwest BC that does not have a unit, per se. They do have a Ranger detachment though (is that even correct terminology?).  I would like to continue to serve with the forces after my move, and I'm curious as to what kind of opportunity there is, if any, for a qualified Lt in a Ranger det like that.  How would I go about inquiring into this?  Failing that (remaining an officer) I suppose I could always bump down to NCM to serve with the Rangers there.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lanyon said:
Hi there,

I was hoping someone on here might be able to shine some light on a situation i'm going to have to deal with in the near future.  I'm a qualified reserve infantry platoon commander (completed IODP1.1 in December 2011) serving with a unit in an urban center in Ontario.

However, in the next few months, I'm going to be moving back out west to my home town in northwest BC that does not have a unit, per se. They do have a Ranger detachment though (is that even correct terminology?).  I would like to continue to serve with the forces after my move, and I'm curious as to what kind of opportunity there is, if any, for a qualified Lt in a Ranger det like that.  How would I go about inquiring into this?  Failing that (remaining an officer) I suppose I could always bump down to NCM to serve with the Rangers there.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.
Not on the Officer side, but we recently had this situation come up with an infantry Cpl that wanted to parade with the Rangers here in Ontario.  He is an OPP Officer that is posted to the NorthWest.  Basically it was requested by his Chain of Comd at his unit that he be able to parade with the Rangers at the closest Ranger patrol to him.  We had no issue with it so that is what he is doing.  Since Rangers are Class A soldiers it's just a matter of signing a pay sheet and parading during the trg that takes place.  Not every Ranger Patrol Group operates the same way, so you will have to look into this to make sure you don't go NES if the trg the Rangers do isn't spread out too much (since Rangers don't have to parade every 30 days like other PRes members do.)

Contact info for 4CRPG: HQ- 1-877-299-8811, BC Coy- 1-800-847-7964
Website: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/4crpg/hq/contents_en.asp

Thanks, I'll look into that.  The only problem I potentially see with that situation compared to mine, though, is that out in BC I'd be in a completely different area (LFWA) from my current unit here in Ontario (LFCA).

Lanyon said:
Thanks, I'll look into that.  The only problem I potentially see with that situation compared to mine, though, is that out in BC I'd be in a completely different area (LFWA) from my current unit here in Ontario (LFCA).
Go through your chain of comd and see what can be done.  It's not out of the question as it's similar to being attached posted to another unit.  The example I gave was a Cpl from the LSSR based in Thunder Bay (an LFWA unit) and the Rangers in Ontario (3CRPG) fall under LFCA.

I'm potentially facing a very similar unit. My RSM has had extensive invovlement with the rangers in the past, and has offered to set me up working with them should it become necessary. There's nothing rpecluding it from happening.

Note that NES isn't just 30 days without parading; that 30 day period must, if recollection serves, have had 3 scheduled periods of duty. If they simply don't have anything going for a 60 day stretch, my understanding of NES is that can't sink you.

Failing the Rangers, it has happened before that people can be attached posted to Cadet corps/squadrons from the PRes (not as coats members). Not as cool as the Rangers but a possibility as well if that doesn't work out for you.

Brihard said:
Note that NES isn't just 30 days without parading; that 30 day period must, if recollection serves, have had 3 scheduled periods of duty.

Correct:  Mil Pers Instruction 20-04 para 3.12 a states, in part: ."... a Res F member shall be declared NES when their unauthorized absence from duty has exceeded 30 days, during which time no fewer than three duty periods were conducted by the unit."

Haggis said:
Correct:  Mil Pers Instruction 20-04 para 3.12 a states, in part: ."... a Res F member shall be declared NES when their unauthorized absence from duty has exceeded 30 days, during which time no fewer than three duty periods were conducted by the unit."

Interesting....  This, then, begs the question: what are the regs for determining NES status when a conducting unit does have fewer than 3 duty periods in 30 days?

Is it that you can't be placed on NES because the unit is not parading regularly, like June/July every year?

I know the Ranger Patrol commander in Terrace and can link you up if you want. I know they'd to be keen to have an Infantry qualified person around that neck of the woods.

Edited to add: I know you're heading to the NE, but they are a pretty tight community up there despite the geography.

Ralph said:
Is it that you can't be placed on NES because the unit is not parading regularly, like June/July every year?

True.  Also, note the words "unauthorized absence".  For example your employer is a shift working organization.  You're on the afternoon shift (1600 - 0000) for a month and you cannot parade.  You tell your chain of command that you're on the afternoon shift for the month (I usually just photocpy the shift schedule) and, voila - authorized absence!!

Back