• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If you haven't been to Afghanistan shut up.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I mean I was on a MSVS course and we had a transport guy (MSE op) from Pet talking about all the tango's he ghosted

It somewhat saddens me to say, but I believe I know the gentleman you are talking about.

Hurricane said:
It somewhat saddens me to say, but I believe I know the gentleman you are talking about.

I wonder if it's the same guy who showed us all of his pictures from Afghanistan when he was supposed to be teaching us convoy drills.  ::)

That's over an hour of my life I'll never get back.......  >:(

2ndChoiceName said:
but from what I'm reading here, now I feel like kind of a D-Bag. Would that fall under the "If you haven't been to Afghanistan shut up." mentality?

If your peers are talking about what it's like in Afghanistan whilst having not actually been there then it's a justified comment (in my opinion).
The context I originally meant was when soldiers themselves use having deployed to Afghanistan/Iraq in arguments that don't have anything to do with the role they played overseas. 

I see the having been to Afghanistan/having not been to Afghanistan as starting to develop a wedge between some soldiers.
For example, soldiers using whether or not an NCO/Officer has been to Afghanistan as a measure of their leadership abilities.  Leaders have deployed who were idiots and being overseas hasn't seemed to given them any great insight- yet some people still foster a stigma about it.
It's also puts a stigma on soldiers who haven't been there too. I've seen it really weight on guys shoulders that they "missed" Afghanistan.  I see the "If you haven't been there, shut up" attitude even if said in jest driving an unhealthy wedge between troops.

Hurricane said:
Pretty embarrassing isn't it.

ObedientiaZelum said:
It's also puts a stigma on soldiers who haven't been there too. I've seen it really weight on guys shoulders that they "missed" Afghanistan. 

Not just Afghanistan - deployments in general.  My whole career was spent in Canada and I definitely notice what you're speaking of.

ObedientiaZelum said:
It's also puts a stigma on soldiers who haven't been there too. I've seen it really weight on guys shoulders that they "missed" Afghanistan.  I see the "If you haven't been there, shut up" attitude even if said in jest driving an unhealthy wedge between troops.
Pretty embarrassing isn't it.

There's those that "missed" it, but I know some who "avoided" it. In those cases, I don't mind the wedge.

Jungle said:
There's those that "missed" it, but I know some who "avoided" it. In those cases, I don't mind the wedge.

I also knew a few that "extended" their  stay in non-deployable positions, and when they were finally posted back to battalion chose to take their release rather than deploy.

Then there are those who feel that the way things were done in Afghanistan/deployment are the only way to do things.  That's when the appropriate response would be, "This isn't Afghanistan, so shut up!".  ;)

Four pages of rehash from previous topics.

Everyone seems somewhat in agreement.

Do we really need to make it five pages?

recceguy said:
Four pages of rehash from previous topics.

Everyone seems somewhat in agreement.

Do we really need to make it five pages?

I agree.  However, I wanted to break the  page mark with this post.

I had an uncle that like watching MASH, does that give me street cred?

dileas

tess

John Tescione said:
.....does that give me street cred?
From what I've read here, cred (and knowledge of all things tactical/strategic) comes only from being an ex-RCR Cpl with one Afghan tour. 

...so, like, shut up OK.  ;)

...besides, your cred is sitting in the War Museum  ;D

Journeyman said:
From what I've read here, cred (and knowledge of all things tactical/strategic) comes only from being an ex-RCR Cpl with one Afghan tour. 

...so, like, shut up OK.  ;)

...besides, your cred is sitting in the War Museum  ;D

Love having words put in my mouth. I really hate using the ignore function, as in my view it is an extreme. Heck, even Redeye, whom I disagree with fundamentally on almost every issue isn't on my ignore, because once in a while he says something that makes me think. You, on the other hand, are just a useless troll. You never add anything useful to discussions and you're generally just an idiot. Congratulations on being the first, and probably only, person I will add to my ignore list.

...and not a tear was shed.

[...and yes, you clicked on it to check despite the <ignore>  ;)  ]

...and a wedge is the simplest tool known to man
Obviously very applicable for this discussion

Petard said:
...and a wedge wedgee is the simplest tool known to man
Obviously very applicable for this discussion

TFTFY  ;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
41792_114208948625965_9589_n.jpg

And it doesn't matter what you are arguing about or discussing,  as long as you've been to Afghanistan or Iraq you probably know more. People just don't understand, man.

Considering freedom of speech and all that, they can keep it.
I think the picture sucks the big haughty one because it completely disregards any and all support troops.

It should read: If you've been to or supported Iraq/Afghanistan then join in and Speak Up. 
(it just might entice conversation) ;D

What's the difference between this and "you haven't earned your cap badge yet, so shut up"?

Because I've seen that for the littlest things.

RDJP said:
What's the difference between this and "you haven't earned your cap badge yet, so shut up"?

Because I've seen that for the littlest things.

Because using the "Shuddup" shut down in that situation, is appropriate.

dileas

tess

Re: If you haven't been to Afghanistan shut up.
« Reply #81 on: Today at 08:13:19 »

Quote from: Journeyman on Today at 07:52:44

Until you've been to Meaford.....    :warstory:

Meaford?  That's nothing.  This one time in Farnham...

Try Aldershot. :nod:

Back