• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If the LAV's A'Rockin....

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Gotta love those Access to Information requests...

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/060611/n061133A.html

Canadian soldiers going through military-issued condoms at skyrocketing rate
ALEXANDER PANETTA, Canadian Press, 11 Jun 06

''OTTAWA (CP) - Internal military documents suggest Canadian soldiers really are getting a lot more action these days.

The troops are being supplied with condoms at what appears to be a staggering pace, with documents suggesting a 12-fold increase from just four years ago.

The military has dispensed just under 300,000 publicly paid prophylactics in each of the last two years, say figures obtained under the Access to Information Act.

"We hand them out like Kleenex," said one military official. "(The soldiers) just walk into the dispensary and claim them. We don't ask questions."

The troops are fighting terrorists in Afghanistan and helping to protect a fragile democracy. They're training on bases at home to prepare for their perilous mission.

And in each of the last two years, they've used about $40,000 worth of lubricated, non-lubricated and non-latex female condoms, all paid for by the government.

Military brass do not keep track of where the condoms are distributed, so it's impossible to know how many are being used in Afghanistan or elsewhere.

At home and abroad, the Canadian Forces have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when soldiers request condoms at military dispensaries.

The policy dates to the First World War, and the military says it saves taxpayers money by keeping the troops out of the infirmary.

"Certainly the time spent to diagnose and treat (a sexually transmitted) disease, the time lost to duty . . . are costs to the service," said Maj. Jim Anderson of the military health services group.

"Part of the role of the Canadian Forces health service is to keep Canadian Forces members healthy so they can do their job."

Use of military-issued condoms has risen drastically since 2002 but the demand has ebbed and flowed over a longer period.

In 1999, soldiers used 295,200 condoms supplied by National Defence. By 2002, the number had fallen to 25,355 condoms and the figures have increased steadily over the four years since. Military officials had no explanation for the fluctuation.

The good news for Canadian taxpayers is they're getting lots more bang for their buck.

The cost of condoms distributed in 1999 was over $100,000 - or more than 30 cents for each prophylactic. The cost the last two years has dropped by almost two-thirds, to about $40,000 or 13 cents a condom.

Military spokespeople could not explain the drop in price or whether some change in accounting practice could help explain the dramatic increase in use.

Sex between soldiers on the Kandahar air base in Afghanistan - where 2,300 Canadian troops are deployed - is strictly forbidden and could result in disciplinary action.

But the military supplies soldiers with condoms there, too. It cannot say whether any are being used illicitly on the base, or whether they're all being used during authorized leaves of absence.

"I can't comment on what the usage might be," Anderson said. "Our (role) isn't to be judgmental. It's to keep people safe.

"If two soldiers decide to break the rules, that's their decision. But if they're going to break the rules I would rather they do it safely, rather than compound the administrative problem with a medical problem."

Journalists in Afghanistan have heard from soldiers about on-base sexual relationships and have seen other evidence.

Soldiers often used visual cues on bases meant to indicate "Do not disturb."

At the now-closed Camp Julien base, a white T-shirt draped on the back of a light armoured vehicle was a signal not to disturb the lovemaking inside.

Journalists returning from Canada's new base in Kandahar say there's less visual evidence to suggest the practice has continued there.

"We have a non-fraternization policy on international missions," said Lt.-Col. Rita Lepage.

"(It applies to) interpreters who are in our employ, journalists who are embedded. It's a non-fraternization policy that's very extensive."

-

A quick look at condom purchases by the Canadian Forces for free distribution to soldiers, as calculated by the Department of National Defence.

-1998: 219,312 condoms. Cost: $59,168

-1999: 295,200 condoms. Cost: $100,483

-2000: 158,991 condoms. Cost: $52,621

-2001: 84,684 condoms. Cost: $28,438

-2002: 25,355 condoms. Cost: $5,324

-2003: 173,769 condoms. Cost: $24,958

-2004: 285,751 condoms. Cost: $41,113

-2005-March 2006: 306,522 condoms. Cost: $39,541 ''

As most know on this site....they are used to keep equipment (read muzzles) clean. That dust blowing around gets in everywhere...a condom is perfect. Works for other equipment too!!  (No NOT that equipment!! ;D)

Funny, then, how either:

1)  the PR communicators didn't mention that as a possible option; or

2)  some PR communicators did, but the reporter didn't write about it.

milnewstbay said:
Funny, then, how either:

1)  the PR communicators didn't mention that as a possible option; or

2)  some PR communicators did, but the reporter didn't write about it.

Why would they....if that was the story...it wouldn't be a story ;)

Why offer a clear indication of a valid (i.e., non-sexual) uses, especially ones that most readers won't think of themselves, when you can leave the whole question of how they're being used open to interpretative?  Effective journalism, vice objective reporting, lends itself well to having the reader jump to conclusions.

It used to SOP to stick a box of them in the winter warfare tent group.  Arctic turnips took a little finesse to pull off, but it sure beat unbagging at minus-holy-crap degrees to go outside for a leak.

-2004: 285,751 condoms. Cost: $41,113

-2005-March 2006: 306,522 condoms. Cost: $39,541

Either their getting a discount on rubbers at th 300,000 mark or we've switched to an economy brand.

I think some twit reporter hasn't got anything else better to do with their time. Perhaps they should examine the other uses for them - survival kits, medical kits (other than for passing out for getting lucky) and on weapons and such.

MM

sounds like someone was trying to hit on a troop and was rebuffed, to me.

As others have indicated, the uses for comdoms, aside from sexual, are numerous, in the Army.

See this is why I love this site.

Education.. Education. I had no idea the various uses for Condoms other then the usual. I was a little surprised by the article and the distribution of condoms in Afghanistan but now I realize they have hmm lots of practical uses.

But on the other side of the coin, I am pretty sure the the Lav does rock every now and then. I have heard stories not sure of the truth of them.

Thanks

FWIW - I always thought that is what the bunkers where for at Julien  :P  or so I heard...  ;D

LAV's layout is so impractical for that sort of activity

Yup, I am sure there are lots of stories out there about traditional uses of condoms (Maybe I should say use of them in the role originally designed for ;D) but I wish this reporter had reported on it happening in civvy life as well.

People sleep with each other in hospitals, banks, police, fire and ambulance stations, drilling rig camps, forestry depots, banks, gas stations - blah, blah, blah.

I got more "action" Fighting Fires in Kelowna than I ever got overseas with the CF...

Considering there are approximately 100,000 people (~60K Regulars, ~25K Reserves, and a wide variety of cadets and civvies) in  the greater defence community who draw on "condom central", maybe the journalist should have asked why more aren't being purchased and, in theory, used?  Sensational journalism.   :threat:

Infidel-6 said:
I got more "action" Fighting Fires in Kelowna than I ever got overseas with the CF...

And I was given rubbers by the medics there. Gave them away but they were still given to me...

Infidel-6 said:
FWIW - I always thought that is what the bunkers where for at Julien  :P  or so I heard...  ;D

Nah, that just adds to the thrill of trying to be inventive. :D

I'm all for inventive -- but combat loaded with how they left the LAV's ready to go -- I can't see it being a feasible activity -- unless your plasticman and she's a gymnist/yoga instructor.

Infidel-6 said:

Not that long ago, I had Nancy in the guts of a Type 1 Phase 2 gun car. There she was in the comd's seat, myself in the gunners. Blue flag flying, and she had that turret spinning around, and gun going up and down. She read off the turret opening and closing drilss, and I monkey'd with the 25mm, cycling it, calling out the drills. In that turret, there is barely enough room to fart, and when the beast is laden, even in the back not enough room to barley move. Too me honest, I did not even think about christening the beast that day, but humm, what about the ambo, or a an empty Type 2 PC?????? That will be another mission in the planning!

Cheers,

Wes

Gunner said:
Considering there are approximately 100,000 people (~60K Regulars, ~25K Reserves, and a wide variety of cadets and civvies) in  the greater defence community who draw on "condom central", maybe the journalist should have asked why more aren't being purchased and, in theory, used?  Sensational journalism.  :threat:

+1

Moreover, in theatre, condoms can be obtained prior to going on leave... Makes perfect sense to me.  Typical asinine reporting, making something out of nothing.

Infidel-6 said:
I'm all for inventive -- but combat loaded with how they left the LAV's ready to go -- I can't see it being a feasible activity -- unless your plasticman and she's a gymnist/yoga instructor.

One could only hope :D

Back