• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I think this is the reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

army

Inactive
Reaction score
I think this is the reference

Posted by Michael A. Dorosh from Canada on April 20, 1999 at 19:42:26:

In Reply to: When Is A Soldier Not A Soldier? posted by Rob Clarke on April 20, 1999 at 10:38:51:

Interesting thread.

This is from Granatstein, The Generals, ISBN 0-7737-2739-6, P. 265, material quoted from J.A. Roberts, The Canadian Summer: The Memoirs of James Alan Roberts Toronto, 1981

Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks was one of the finest officers in the British army, with a magnificent record of service and personal gallantry. here was a man who really led, a general who talked to everyone, down to the simplest private soldier. he called his officers ‘Joe,‘ ‘Peter,‘ ‘Reggie,‘ ‘Mike,‘ or whatever. I was ‘Jim‘ before we crawled back to the Queen‘s Own patrol. By his personal qualities of leadership he brought out a respect and an affection which made better soldiers of his officers and men. Why, I wondered, rather guiltily, were our senior officers not of the same personality and we were supposed to be Canadians, less stiff and formal than the British. Our own army commander was a good soldier, a very nice man personally, and, I am sure, a man loyal to his troops as a whole. But his personality was not that of a leader of men. He addressed his officers as ‘Smith,‘ ‘Jones,‘ and ‘Roberts.‘ So did Guy Simonds.

I think that passage says a lot. In my regiment, the sergeant I would follow without question is known, off the parade square, as "Denny". Yet in the field, or otherwise on duty, when he gives an order, the reply is "Yes, Sergeant," and the order is obeyed. That is called respect.

Respect is earned, not demanded. Denny earned my respect, just as General Horrocks earned the respect of General Roberts.

Check out CFP 1311 para 403 - you have the card in your wallet, no doubt. The principles of leadership include leading by example, pursuing self-improvement and knowing your soldiers. But you can‘t blindly follow the wallet card. Read between the lines.

Check out the German Army‘s relationship between officers and men, and look at how well they fought, even when it was clear WWII was lost. German soldiers often revered their officers, yet they still obeyed orders and were a professional and effective organization.

I‘m not sure what you mean by picking and choosing, but surely all aspects of life even military life are like that? Have you ever jaywalked or not come to a complete stop at a Stop sign? Did society crumble? Hardly. Do I respect Sergeant R any less because he lets me call him "Denny" on occasion. I really don‘t think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back