• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I ♥ mortars (from: Combat Support Company?)

ProPatria Mike

Inactive
Reaction score
Did somebody say mortars? Ahhh, the good ole days..... 1 RCR, Mortar Platoon, Stonehenge, England, 1984

Pro Patria. 

Stonehenge-mortars.jpg

Now THAT is high speed Mortar Pr0n!!!!!!!!!!!

Worm RuleZ!

Damn straight it's cheating (unless those are "mortar gloves").  But, then again, it's probably to keep the "sticky" from the "sticky buns" from getting on the bombs ;D

Hmmmm.... After my time, I'm afraid, I can tell cause they are not using C1's.... But I like the picture.... :) I can remember it being so damn cold and the mission long enough that gloves were necessary to prevent accidents...

More mortamen, lads. Recognize anybody?

MortarPl-80s.jpg

Now that this has a cool thread name, all I can say is:

Worm RuleZ!

ProPatria Mike said:
Did somebody say mortars? Ahhh, the good ole days..... 1 RCR, Mortar Platoon, Stonehenge, England, 1984

I may be wrong, but do I see some Highland Fusiliers in there? (White hackles)

By chance does anyone know who they are? (as the pic is well before my time... I was 5 then)

The White Hackles could have been from 4 RCR, which would have been still wearing the white hackles in the time frame of the photo, perhaps, although I don't think that they did the mortar thing...

Heard that Mortars may be making a come back in the Bn's (as well as Pnrs.)  I guess the guns are too wrapped up with their 777 to care about them.  Anyone have any info on that?

von Garvin said:
The White Hackles could have been from 4 RCR, which would have been still wearing the white hackles in the time frame of the photo, perhaps, although I don't think that they did the mortar thing...

4 RCR wore white hackles with berets... I'm pretty sure the Fusiliers are the only regiment in Canada that wear white hackles on Balmorals (Tam o shanters).

Also, at one point, our Kitchener garison had a mortar platoon.  We still have mortar platoon signs and pics hanging up in the JRs mess.

The picture was taken during a ACE Mobile gun shoot in England when Mortar Platoon, en masse, joined 2RCHA, en mass, for a month long NATO shoot. We staged in the south then, after being issued with British  war reserve land rovers (I think this aspect was a segment of the exercise), we moved to the north to a base along to Scot border. Maybe this will help you out with the cockle.

armyca1.jpg

I learned something today: the HF of C (now known as the RHF of C) had a mortar platoon.  New respect :D

that's probably where they came from then.

RHFC_piper said:
4 RCR wore white hackles with berets... I'm pretty sure the FPiperusiliers are the only regiment in Canada that wear white hackles on Balmorals (Tam o shanters).

Also, at one point, our Kitchener garison had a mortar platoon.  We still have mortar platoon signs and pics hanging up in the JRs mess.
RHFC Piper:
You are quite correct in your post.

Rick

RHFC_piper said:
I may be wrong, but do I see some Highland Fusiliers in there? (White hackles)

By chance does anyone know who they are? (as the pic is well before my time... I was 5 then)

Yup those are RHFC, well technically the Royal prefix wasn't around then. Don't recognize any of them, but do recognize the guy kneeling on the extreme right in the front rank from 3RCR Mortar Pl circa 1980. Incidentaly that year 3RCR had seven reserve augmetees (incluiding moi) in the Mortar Pl all of us Highlanders, 3 HFCs, 3 Seaforths ( both of who had formed Mortar Pls back then) and some misplaced 48th who must have stumbled through the course.

bick said:
Heard that Mortars may be making a come back in the Bn's (as well as Pnrs.)  I guess the guns are too wrapped up with their 777 to care about them.  Anyone have any info on that?

I don't think the guns will want to give up the ones they got, but I do agree the Bn's should have their Mortar Pl's back. As I have heard more than once from ex-031 mortarmen since the handover as a residual responsibility to the Artillery: "The CO did like to keep that resource (mortars) in his hip pocket, kind of hard to do when it's in someone elses".

As a former Fire Controller, I can tell you the difference betweent the FOO's and the MFC's and why, I believe, it is essential that the bns maintain their own capabilities.

The hatbadge.

Mortarmen are all to aware that their responsibility lies to the battalion and our brothers in arms wherein the guns are used by anybody in theatre and targets are decided on by task force priorioties instead of battalion needs.

Back