• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get 404s

MakethemfallRN

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, so I've getting mixed answers for how to get my 404s. Some people have told me that I only need to do DLN courses and/or Army Driver Wheel. What do I need to just get my 404 license.

Note: I do not have a civilian drivers license, however I will be getting my G1 in a few weeks.

Ok, so I've getting mixed answers for how to get my 404s. Some people have told me that I only need to do DLN courses and/or Army Driver Wheel. What do I need to just get my 404 license.

Note: I do not have a civilian drivers license, however I will be getting my G1 in a few weeks.
Driver wheel will give you 404's on a specific vehicle, milcot for example. To get civi pattern 404's you need either a G licence or driver wheel. You still have to pass a driving test on each vehicle. You should not go on driver wheel if you don't already know how to drive.

404s for civilian pattern vehicles (commonly referred to as "blue fleet") only requires you to do the DLN course and present your certificate + civilian issued drivers license to base transport. You will be given a temporary paper 404, your photo will be taken, and a long time after you will get your permanent 404.

A road test/ safe backing test is not required for civilian pattern vehicles.

If you want to add any "green" vehicles (including milcots for some reason) then you need to take driver wheeled.

404s for civilian pattern vehicles (commonly referred to as "blue fleet") only requires you to do the DLN course and present your certificate + civilian issued drivers license to base transport. You will be given a temporary paper 404, your photo will be taken, and a long time after you will get your permanent 404.

A road test/ safe backing test is not required for civilian pattern vehicles.

If you want to add any "green" vehicles (including milcots for some reason) then you need to take driver wheeled.
There may be differences by province, because that is not how it is done in Ontario. A road test is required for each different category of civi pattern.

Since before my time it varied province to province as to what was allowed.
From 87-2004 you where still required to take Driver Wheeled before operating any CF vehicle - Civy license or not - however some provinces you where not allowed to drive on a road in a CF vehicle (base use only) if you didn't have a civilian license.

Oddly I taught a FMC Driver Wheeled (back when FMC was a thing) and some of the other Driver Instructors didn't have civilian licenses - but where allowed to off base instruct but not drive (things that made you go hmm).

There may be differences by province, because that is not how it is done in Ontario. A road test is required for each different category of civi pattern.
Some units tended to fudge that - but it's on the Driver Examiner and (if different) Transport NCO if that backfires.
We had a guy back into a telephone pole in a 15 pax van in Petawawa getting stuff for the unit canteen - and it was unpleasant for many when it popped up that he was never tested on that.

Safe Backing used to be a yearly refresher - non vehicle specific, same with Dangerous Goods.

Back