• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How much time away from home do pilots, ACSOs, and Air Control Officers spend?

Koldness

Inactive
Reaction score
How much time away from home do Pilots, ACSOs, and Aerospace Control Officers spend?

After receiving their wings, how much choice do new pilots and ACSO's have in choosing what aircraft they serve in?

If forced to serve on a ship (serving on the Sea King), how much time at sea do pilots and ACSO's spend (excluding deployments)?

(The reason I ask is I have a wife and 3 young kids and I don't want to miss too much of their lives being away all the time.)

I've heard different time lengths from different people regarding pilots/ACSO's serving on a ship. Excluding deployments, some say 100 days per year, some say no more than 200 days per year, and another has said 300+ days per year. And the recruiting centre simply tells me "it depends" without giving me any numbers.

Anyone have any clearer answers? Thank you kindly!

It all depends on what unit or command you are with. Being away and deploying is all part of the CF lifestyle. If you are on a base like Trenton you could be very busy depending on your unit. If you are in a SAR Unit you will have stand by time with lots of quick calls coming up while you are on call. If you are in a transport squadron you will be flying things in and out of required areas. You are going to have trips where you are gone 2 days to 6 months maybe more.

Back