• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How is military life as infantry?

Khloe13

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Folks!
I joinned the CAF in 2008 at 17y old but i left for personal reasons after my QMB ( not sure what it is called in english). QMB is the basic military qualification that you do in ELRFC school saint-jean-sur- le richelieu. Its the french term.

Since a while i am thinking about to join back the CAF as regular infantry but i wonder how is it after the course/infantry trainning? How is it after the trainning ?what a typical day as infantry look like?? I cant find anything about how it is when you are qualified?
Is it as strict than when we were a recruit??? Do you still have inspection and all ?? Do you have most of your week ends? Are you always outside the base?? Sleeping always outside? What is a typical infantry day!? Thanks!

I wanna know if infantry is right for me.
Thank you!

It's difficult to say exactly what a typical day in the infantry is like because you could be tasked with doing any number of things.

Monday you could be at a range all day out in the rain, and have to find an emergency babysitter because someone decides the range will run late and you won't be around to pick up your kids.
Tuesday you could be moving office furniture all day for a unit whose troops are too important or too busy to move their own stuff.
Wednesday you're searching vehicles and lockers for a missing radio. Then in the afternoon practice typing knots.
Thursday is first aid refresher training in the morning then other training in the afternoon.
Friday you're into work early (maybe have to find a babysitter again) because you're doing a 15KM run since you didn't donate $20 to the united way breakfast.

You could be put on a 2-6 week course at your unit which may or may not have field time.

You could be ordered to go anywhere in Canada for a summer tasking for a few months (or at anytime of the year really)

You will routinely go to the field for exercises and training. Sometimes a few days, sometimes weeks or a month.

You will go out to Wainwright for 1-3 months almost every year.

You'll probably get to go on tours, there is a good chance the 6 month tour will basically be what you did in Wainwright.

It's not as strict as your basic training (QMB). You won't get inspections like you did in basic training. You'll get most of your weekends unless your in the field. You're not outside most of the time.

Honestly I can't imagine being a 32-33 year old private in the infantry (by the time you join and pass training) would be very fun. Being a female it will be even more physically challenging. Being older you'll get treated a bit better than 17 & 18 year olds but they're still going to be your peers and social group at work. I would imagine you will have to redo your QMB course.

If you're willing to consider some other trades there's lots of other trades that might be more enjoyable to a 31 year old private. If you're still interested in the infantry go for it and if you don't like it you can request to change trades.

It's difficult to say exactly what a typical day in the infantry is like because you could be tasked with doing any number of things.

Monday you could be at a range all day out in the rain, and have to find an emergency babysitter because someone decides the range will run late and you won't be around to pick up your kids.
Tuesday you could be moving office furniture all day for a unit whose troops are too important or too busy to move their own stuff.
Wednesday you're searching vehicles and lockers for a missing radio. Then in the afternoon practice typing knots.
Thursday is first aid refresher training in the morning then other training in the afternoon.
Friday you're into work early (maybe have to find a babysitter again) because you're doing a 15KM run since you didn't donate $20 to the united way breakfast.

You could be put on a 2-6 week course at your unit which may or may not have field time.

You could be ordered to go anywhere in Canada for a summer tasking for a few months (or at anytime of the year really)

You will routinely go to the field for exercises and training. Sometimes a few days, sometimes weeks or a month.

You'll probably get to go on tours, there is a good chance the 6 month tour will basically be what you did in Wainwright.

It's not as strict as your basic training (QMB). You won't get inspections like you did in basic training. You'll get most of your weekends unless your in the field. You're not outside most of the time.

Honestly I can't imagine being a 32-33 year old private in the infantry (by the time you join and pass training) would be very fun. Being a female it will be even more physically challenging. Being older you'll get treated a bit better than 17 & 18 year olds but they're still going to be your peers and social group at work. I would imagine you will have to redo your QMB course.

If you're willing to consider some other trades there's lots of other trades that might be more enjoyable to a 31 year old private. If you're still interested in the infantry go for it and if you don't like it you can request to change trades.

My second career option is intelligence operator but i was always been interested in infantry. I just prefer to ask the questions now because changing trades later … can take a while. Wouldnt like being on pat platoon for months 😅. Thank you very much!

Not to be a party pooper but what’s your release item? Perhaps not unsurmountable but could be the first hurdle you encounter.

The truth hurts ;)

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

In the Infantry it's not a matter of if you'll get hurt, but when. Do Infantry stuff long enough and everyone gets hurt. Infantry life is hard on the body. Get into really good shape before you start training. It's not a guarantee you that you won't get hurt, but it reduces the chance.

Not to be a party pooper but what’s your release item? Perhaps not unsurmountable but could be the first hurdle you encounter.
I kinda forgot but it was a honorable release. 4C i think. It was volontury.

Why not? Cant think about doing anything else honestly. I did alot jobs since i left ( car mechanics , animals tech , carpenters) and i always have the CAF in my mind. I joinned the CAF at 17y old because it was my goal since i was 12y old. I had to leave while i was waiting for my infantry course for a personal reason ☹️ . 3 months after i left and was filled with regrets. i reapplied again but than they changed the highschool prerequirement. It passed from 9 grades to 10 … so i got refused 🤦🏼‍♀️ was demoralised. I had to go back to school .. which i did later 🙃

In the Infantry it's not a matter of if you'll get hurt, but when. Do Infantry stuff long enough and everyone gets hurt. Infantry life is hard on the body. Get into really good shape before you start training. It's not a guarantee you that you won't get hurt, but it reduces the chance.

I concur. You will suffer some injuries. Hopefully they are minor.

Knees, ankles, shoulders and back all take a beating

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck! I am wanting to join the infantry as well, but on the reserves side.

I hope it is everything you hoped for and I hope the path ahead enlightens you, humbles you! We're similar. It's been a dream of mine since a young age as well!

Some truths here; more than a few exaggerations. There’s going to be a lot of your days spend showing up at 0800, doing Pt till 0900, coming back at 10 then going for lunch from 1130-1300. Maybe some training in the afternoon but my guys are gone pretty consistently at like 1500-1530 ish.

I have yet to ever move some other units furniture around for them; but I have done a fair bit of beautification projects around the Battalion. Not big deal people should take pride in their buildings. Maybe guys were being randomly told to find baby sitting day of, personally never seen it, but we can usually get guys a few days notice / cut them around their family commitments, infact we all but have to. To be totally honest that “sample week” sounds like a collection of the worst days of someone’s career all mixed together.

@Khloe13 ive had new Ptes show up that were in their late 20s / early 30s, they get on just fine. Probably be a little different than if you 18-24 like the rest of them but it’s hardly like a social pariah thing. And yeah there’s a different treatment when you’re a bit older for sure. At least in my company.

Some truths here; more than a few exaggerations.
Not a single exaggeration.

I have yet to ever move some other units furniture around for them;
1 RCR just had this task 2-3 weeks ago.

but we can usually get guys a few days notice / cut them around their family commitments, infact we all but have to.
That's going to vary by units and CoC. I've been brought out of the field to do halloween with my kids and brought back out the next day. Also had a hard time getting time off work when my wife had a miscarriage. I've seen lots of "family care plan" calls when we were forced to work early or late, often last minute.

To be totally honest that “sample week” sounds like a collection of the worst days of someone’s career all mixed together.
Some weeks are better than others. Some weeks are smooth and great, others can be daily shit shows.

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck! I am wanting to join the infantry as well, but on the reserves side.

I hope it is everything you hoped for and I hope the path ahead enlightens you, humbles you! We're similar. It's been a dream of mine since a young age as well!
There are a lot of awesome opportunities for infantry reservists. If deploying overseas is your thing there is a good chance you'll have more oppertunities to deploy than your regular force counter parts. I've even seen a reservist put on a basic sniper course, though it's not very common.

Not a single exaggeration.

Really? That was every single week? You did mash up all the bad days jnto one? You’ve spent more weeks doing that then weeks spent doing very little? Because I know guys in just about every Bn and our work situations aren’t that different.
That's going to vary by units and CoC. I've been brought out of the field to do halloween with my kids and brought back out the next day. Also had a hard time getting time off work when my wife had a miscarriage. I've seen lots of "family care plan" calls when we were forced to work early or late, often last minute.

I can honestly say I’ve never seen guys kept late at random when they were the primary care giver. That’s over more than a decade. Also you specified last minute random tasks staying late or coming early. I understand the frustration of that family situation and I’m sympathetic to where you’re coming from. Clearly we’ve had wildly different experiences, I assume that because you’re a Royal.

There are a lot of awesome opportunities for infantry reservists. If deploying overseas is your thing there is a good chance you'll have more oppertunities to deploy than your regular force counter parts. I've even seen a reservist put on a basic sniper course, though it's not very common.
Just objectively not true. There’s 25 percent manning for reservists on deployment. Do that math. I’d love to have seen the justification for putting a reservist on basic sniper and how that cell took it lol.

Do you know if its easy to be reservist full time or it is not very common ?

Edit: when you apply as reservist, can u apply for a full times position or you start part time?

Do you know if its easy to be reservist full time or it is not very common ?

Edit: when you apply as reservist, can u apply for a full times position or you start part time?
There are full time contracts as class B reservists that exist.

Depends on your location and the availability of jobs for reservists, I did 15 years or so of full time of class B jobs. Not all infantry related (some were) but still paraded and went on exercise with my unit despite working full time in another capacity.

It’s a little harder at first but once qualified (even better as a Cpl) then opportunities open up.

Really? That was every single week? You did mash up all the bad days jnto one?
There seems to be some comprehension and context issues again my friend. Go back and read my post. Notice I say "you could be tasked with doing any number of things". You'll notice I didn't say "you will do this every week". Then I give some examples of things "you could" be doing during the week. Yes that's a bad week, but people coming into infantry battalions should be prepared for bad weeks.

I can honestly say I’ve never seen guys kept late at random when they were the primary care giver. That’s over more than a decade. Also you specified last minute random tasks staying late or coming early. I understand the frustration of that family situation and I’m sympathetic to where you’re coming from. Clearly we’ve had wildly different experiences, I assume that because you’re a Royal.
You assume correctly. The good news is times are changing and units are getting better at helping members support their families. The old "family care plan!" seems less and less abused. It still happens. I was on course in Gagetown with some of your brethren not too long ago and I've heard some pretty wild battalion stories. The cowboys and royals aren't all that dissimilar in some facets.

Back