• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Halifax Rifles returned to Order of Battle?

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Worthington said in the paper today that there is a petition afoot to get the Halifax Rifles reinstated - a proposal has gone forth to create a 20 man recce unit at a cost of 750,000 (annually?)

Currently NS is the only province without an armoured regiment (according to Worthy).

Anyone closer to the action have any news on this? The Halifax Rifles are third oldest Regiment in Canada and have had two Prime Ministers in their ranks through the years. Sounds like a neat idea.

MacKay also announced that one of Canada's oldest reserve units will be returned to active duty for the first time since being stood down in 1965.

The Halifax Rifles will begin recruiting up to 100 members and will likely be used in a reconnaissance or light infantry role.

© 2008 CTVGlobemedia  All Rights Reserved.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080905/mackay_arctic_080905/20080905?hub=Canada

Man this is fantastic,

Finally a governement on the right trach, God I love elections!

dileas

tess

Is this 100 positions in addition to other planned increases to the Reserves, or just the allocation of 100 positions to a new unit vice expanding existing ones?

Now would they return to the order of battle in the position they where reduced to nil strength or would start at the bottom of the list?

No news release on CF web page as of this posting, so I'm guessing this came out of follow-up questioning at the Halifax news conference  - shared with the usual disclaimer....

From the Canadian Press
Defence minister Peter MacKay says the military will establish a permanent army reserve in Canada's North.  Although MacKay is releasing few details, he says the unit will be established in Yellowknife as part of an increased military presence to protect Canada's Arctic sovereignty.  He says the unit will work with the Canadian Rangers in covering the "sparsely populated and geographically rugged region."  The Rangers are a largely aboriginal group of reservists considered the military's eyes and ears in the North.  MacKay also announced that one of Canada's oldest reserve units will be returned to active duty for the first time since being stood down in 1965.  The Halifax Rifles will begin recruiting up to 100 members and will likely be used in a reconnaissance or light infantry role.

Quickie open source list o' hits...

Army.ca profile
http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/The_Halifax_Rifles_(RCAC)

What appears to be an unofficial page on the Halifax Rifles (RCAC)
http://www.geocities.com/rifles23/

The cap badge (from The Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges of Canada)
iv485_20010031_badge_halifa.jpg

Older regalia (from williamscully.ca)
23rd_Army_Tank_Regiment_The_Halifax_Rifles.jpg

Nice.  So units which have successfully maintained their numbers will not be punished for it with a forced loss of positions to recreate a unit.  I guess it'll be a "light infantry" unit then because I suspect the Armour Corps won't want to redistribute its fleet of vehicles to support another unit with kit.

NFLD Sapper said:
Now would they return to the order of battle in the position they where reduced to nil strength or would start at the bottom of the list?

It depends. 

If there were "struck from the order of battle" then they would be a new unit at the bottom of the list. 

If they were "reduced to nil strength" but not struck from the order of battle, they would remain where they were.

But there's always the factor of political influence, so, watch and shoot.

Backgrounder
The Halifax Rifles
BG - 08.021 - September 5, 2008

The Halifax Rifles was established as a unit in 1860. Members of this historic regiment proudly served Canada both at home and abroad, with many overseas campaigns and battle honours. As the 63rd Battalion, the unit also saw active service in Canada during the North West Rebellion of 1865. Many prominent Canadians served in the unit, including two Canadian Prime Ministers, The Hon Joseph Howe, (and three other Nova Scotia Premiers), as well as countless political and business leaders in the local community.

In 1965, as part of a major reorganization of the Militia, the Halifax Rifles was made inactive and placed on the Supplementary Order of Battle. Former serving members of the unit have remained active in the military community through their membership in the Halifax Rifles Armoury Association.

In September 2008, The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, announced the reactivation of the Halifax Rifles.

News Release
Government of Canada Announces Reserve Units in Nova Scotia and Northwest Territories
NR-08.063 - September 5, 2008

HALIFAX – The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, announced today the return to service of the historic Halifax Rifles, and the creation of a new Army Reserve unit in Yellowknife.

“I’m proud to announce that one of Canada’s oldest regiments - the Halifax Rifles - will see a return to service with the Reserve Army with Land Forces Atlantic Area,” said Minister MacKay. “This new unit will lend direct support to the domestic operations commitments of the existing Reserve forces in the Halifax area”. The Halifax Rifles will be either a reconnaissance or an infantry unit.

In addition, the CF is creating a new Company-sized sub-unit to be assigned to one of Land Force Western Area’s existing Reserve Force Infantry Battalions in Yellowknife. Military leaders are currently mapping out the proposed mission and tasks for the new Yellowknife sub-unit which will enhance Canada’s ability to operate in the North.

“The Army is expanding its Reserve footprint across the North by establishing a permanent land force reserve unit presence in this increasingly important region of the country,” said Minister MacKay.

“Given our operational tempo abroad, it is prudent planning to enhance our ability to protect and support Canadians at home should the need arise,” added LFAA Commander, Brigadier-General Dave Neasmith

OK, this is probably a very stupid question given the name of the regiment, but will they actually be based in Halifax? Is there enough of a recruiting base to do so without boning the PLF? Are they going to maybe set up the new regiment in Dartmouth or Bedford so as to widen the recruiting base a bit and save some people a commute? Or will they stand it up as a second reserve Armoured regiment in 36 CBG?

I don't see any obvious gaps in the 36 CBG ORBAT, so this is a curious move. I would have thought that simply increasing the authorized strength of existing units would have been suitable; maybe another platoon each authorized for PLF, WNSR, and the NSH. Add more effective strength without having to add a new battalion staff and orderly room.

Oh well. I'm sure someone's thought it through. At the end of the day it's still good news.

Uh- can't help but notice the title of the thread.

"CF to revive Halifax Rifles as new Arctic Reserve unit."

If I understand correctly, the two announcements are separate from one another. Somehow I don't see the Halifax Rifles being re-established in Yellowknife.  ;D

Curiously, CBC has picked up on the Halifax Rifles announcement, yet not a whit about the new unit in the North. I'd have thought that would have been what people would take more notice of.

"In addition, the CF is creating a new Company-sized sub-unit to be assigned to one of Land Force Western Area’s existing Reserve Force Infantry Battalions in Yellowknife. Military leaders are currently mapping out the proposed mission and tasks for the new Yellowknife sub-unit which will enhance Canada’s ability to operate in the North."

The Loyal Eddies most likely.

This is something that the Halifax Rifles have been fighting a long time for.  Can't see them being an infantry unit - not much use having 2 of them in Halifax. More likely Recon.

The recruiting base is a good point.  You already have Air Reserve in Shearwater, Stone Frigate at the Dockyards, Service Bn, Med Pl, Arty, Pl Fus, Int Coy, Band, Comms, Brigade and Area HQ. Don't think I missed anyone.

NFLD Sapper said:
Backgrounder
The Halifax Rifles
BG - 08.021 - September 5, 2008

News Release
Government of Canada Announces Reserve Units in Nova Scotia and Northwest Territories
NR-08.063 - September 5, 2008

HALIFAX – The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, announced today  the creation of a new Army Reserve unit in Yellowknife.

In addition, the CF is creating a new Company-sized sub-unit to be assigned to one of Land Force Western Area’s existing Reserve Force Infantry Battalions in Yellowknife. Military leaders are currently mapping out the proposed mission and tasks for the new Yellowknife sub-unit which will enhance Canada’s ability to operate in the North.

“The Army is expanding its Reserve footprint across the North by establishing a permanent land force reserve unit presence in this increasingly important region of the country,” said Minister MacKay.

“Given our operational tempo abroad, it is prudent planning to enhance our ability to protect and support Canadians at home should the need arise,” added LFAA Commander, Brigadier-General Dave Neasmith

Which existing infantry unit is up there? perhaps the media misquoted and meant that a existing unit down south will have sub unit created in Yellowknife?

I am pleased about the Yellowknife part, but would want to see new resources to man and maintain each unit.

The Supplementary Order of Battle was a new animal created in 1965 as a third option for those existing Militia regiments that were now found to be redundant after the 1964 Suttie Commission.

Previously a regiment found to be surplus to the establishment had the option of either amalgamating with another unit or being removed from the order of battle.  Both options were permanent in that an amalgamated regiment would, in theory, not separate in the future nor would a removed regiment be replaced on the OB.

The SOB was created to put redundant regiments into a state of suspended animation rather than suffer the fate of permanent removal.  A regiment on the SOB was no longer active but not permanently gone.  They were waiting patiently for that day when they could be re-activated again.  A forty-three year wait for The Halifax Rifles.

As it relates to an arctic militia unit, The Yukon Regiment (RHQ in Whitehorse) was placed on the SOB in June of 1968.  It was formed in 1962 by redesignating the existing Whitehorse based militia sub-unit, C Squadron of the 19th Alberta Dragoons.

In 1968 the practice of placing regular force units into the SOB began creating a situation whereby The Canadian Guards, suspended but not removed, could re-appear on the existing OB.

Dan.

Brihard said:
Uh- can't help but notice the title of the thread.

"CF to revive Halifax Rifles as new Arctic Reserve unit."

If I understand correctly, the two announcements are separate from one another. Somehow I don't see the Halifax Rifles being re-established in Yellowknife.  ;D

Curiously, CBC has picked up on the Halifax Rifles announcement, yet not a whit about the new unit in the North. I'd have thought that would have been what people would take more notice of.

My mistake - too quick read of the MSM.  I stand chastised....

If we are putting a Infantry reserve unit north of 60 and as we're already reactiviating one old unit from the supplementary order of battle, then why not a second?

The Yukon Regiment
Yukon_Regt_1.jpg

Very nice looking cap badge.Having more troops closer to the arctic has to be a good thing.

Brihard said:
Oh well. I'm sure someone's thought it through. At the end of the day it's still good news.

I suspect there's still a lot of staff work to be done on these initiatives.

Now here's a question:  With about 18 000 people in Whitehorse, how big a unit can the community sustain?

(Edited for the same reason as my earlier post)

Dataperson

Don't get me going on the historic and perhaps primary role of the militia as a device optimized for the application of patronage, nothing more and very little else. That isn't quite true as the local unit was an outlet for community-spirited mens' desire to contribute, sort of an early service club, albeit with funny clothes.

I know there are exceptions to the rule. However the belief in the militia myth and years of telling one another in the mess how the untrained volunteer was a natural soldier, and much better than the regulars, allowed successive Canadian governments to spend the bare minimum on defence. Even that tiny widow's mite was generally spent unwisely and inefficiently. The result were some disasters and near disasters (Ridgeway in the Fenian invasion of 1866 and most of the battles of the Northwest Rebellion) and an organization that was rated by a senior British general circa 1913 as the worst military force in the Empire.

Everybody, I apologize for my rant. I am going to have a beer or several in honour of our fallen comrades.

Back