• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grognards of the world: UNITE

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I'm tucked away, safely in (or near) CFB Gagetown.  I've played war games since about 1983 when I was first introduced to Squad Leader by my friend.  I am looking for persons to play, face to face, ANY of the following games:
Squad Leader (up to Cross of Iron): This is NOT ASL
Assault (including Boots and Saddles, Bundeswehr and Chieftain)
Team Yankee
Up Front (including Banzai)
GDW's Third World War (including Battle for Germany, Arctic Front and Southern Front)
Fire in the East (OK, so I'm a sucker for punishment!)
Battle for Moscow
Great Patriotic War
Russian Campaign (3rd Edition, not the newly released 4th edition)

Well, I think that's it.  Just found this part of the army.ca forum, so I hope this post is On Topic
Cheers

Hauptmann

vonGarvin said:
So, I'm tucked away, safely in (or near) CFB Gagetown.  I've played war games since about 1983 when I was first introduced to Squad Leader by my friend.  I am looking for persons to play, face to face, ANY of the following games:
Squad Leader (up to Cross of Iron): This is NOT ASL
Assault (including Boots and Saddles, Bundeswehr and Chieftain)
Team Yankee
Up Front (including Banzai)
GDW's Third World War (including Battle for Germany, Arctic Front and Southern Front)
Fire in the East (OK, so I'm a sucker for punishment!)
Battle for Moscow
Great Patriotic War
Russian Campaign (3rd Edition, not the newly released 4th edition)

Well, I think that's it.  Just found this part of the army.ca forum, so I hope this post is On Topic
Cheers

Hauptmann

You can play SL on line face to face using Virtual Squad Leader (go to www.vassalengine.org) - if you have a computer and internet access, that is.  VSL (the ASL version is VASL) is a java-based set of maps and coutners.  You still need the scenario cards and rules from the games themselves.  There may be VASSAL versions of the other games you mention - you can play by email or live using the VASSAL server.  I've played VASL before and it is great at connecting guys across continents. I definitely recommend it to you if you are itching for old-fashioned boardgame play but have no one in the immediate vicinity.

Michael Dorosh said:
You can play SL on line face to face using Virtual Squad Leader (go to www.vassalengine.org) - if you have a computer and internet access, that is.  VSL (the ASL version is VASL) is a java-based set of maps and coutners.  You still need the scenario cards and rules from the games themselves.  There may be VASSAL versions of the other games you mention - you can play by email or live using the VASSAL server.  I've played VASL before and it is great at connecting guys across continents. I definitely recommend it to you if you are itching for old-fashioned boardgame play but have no one in the immediate vicinity.
Hi Michael
I have MANY games under my belt using VSL.  I also have the third world war on VASSAL along with The Russian Campaign.  Still, nothing like a good old fashioned face to face matchup :D
But thank you very much for replying!

David

Drop into Red Lion Hobbies.  It's run by the sons of guy who owns Red Lion Tattoos and they deal mostly with WH, WH40K but might be able to put you in touch with some other gamers.  It's on the way to Geary/Haneytown.  Go past forestry and under the highway, take your first right.  It's signed and is located in the garage of a fairly large house.

Once again, very much a WH based group, but here's a gaming group in SJ that may help you out.
http://www.impossible-realities.net/

Ammo Tech 90:
Thanks very much!  May just go peek in there today at that hobby place.  I've passed it hundreds of times, just never gone in.  Thanks again!
:salute:

Well, went by the Red Lion's hobby place.  The do a lot of the tabletop "Mech war" (or something called that: can't remember the proper term), as well as some other stuff.  Very interesting, but unfortunately, not what I was looking for :(

So, the offer stands: anyone near Gagetown interested in face to face wargaming a la Squad Leader, Assault, or the like?  Heck, even Axis and Allies is a fun diversion (so long as beer is involved) :D

Hauptmann

VG the odds of my ever going voluntarily back to gagetown again are slim to none, but I'll keep it in mind. Works both ways, although I can think of better ways to kill an evening in Toronto 8)

Back