• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Graduating 26 Apr... Hooray

LeonTheNeon

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, it isn't over, but it is over.  Finished Farnham today.  Everybody in our platoon passed, and we only had 4 retests out of 38, so not too bad.  I'm looking forward to graduation.  I know that I've accompished something that I can be proud of for my entire life.  And I know that my military service will be something that I can be proud of too. 

Thanks to everybody on this site for all of your assistance during the recruiting process.  :salute:  I'm looking forward to working with you, and contributing to this site as my TI increases.

(EDIT)

Now that I'm more awake I'll include some of my Farnham memories and thoughts:

- The predeployment section attacks were a blast.  Running up and down the field thinking "Up, she sees me, Down, Up, she sees me, Down".
- During EX Vimy, I got 1 "kill" and 1 possible 1 "wounded" (it is impossible to say if I hit him or not because the entire section was firing at him, but he was shooting/looking at me so I like to think he was reacting to my fire)
- Being "killed" by a chemical gas attack.  What happened was I heard a pop and a guy screaming, so I thought we'd been spotted and was under fire, so I ducked behind the mound of dirt I was behind.  I popped my head back up to observe, and I see this wall of yellow gas coming at me.  I go for my gas mask, but too late the assessing sargeant declared me dead.  Doh!
- During my task, I was to build a secure compound from 0000 to 0400.  The section did great (tip of the hat to 1 Section) and got the fence up very quickly and put it exactly where I wanted it.  Later in the task, I ran right into my own fence.  During the task debrief the assessing PO and I laughed for probably a good minute about it.  Both running into the fence and having a laugh about it at 0400 will stick with me for long time.
- Overall I want to send a big kudos to the FED platoon.  They do a great job, and their work makes the experience a lot more fun.  When I did IAP in 2003 the tasks were much more boring, mainly because nothing ever happened.  You went on site, raised a tent, went back to camp.  Having an OPFOR really makes a difference.
- Every meal time, trying to decide whether I wanted to get 20 more minutes of sleep or go shovel an IMP down my throat.
- Speaking of IMPs, I may be the only person in the universe that thinks this way, but I actually like the instant mashed potatoes, the trick is not to put the water up to the line, it is too much, about 2/3rds of the way up to the line + salt + pepper makes for some good eating.
- Every rest time trying to decide if making the effort to pull out the sleeping bag was worth it for 1.5 hours of sleep.  Except for the last night, I decided it wasn't and slept on my towel, with my combat jacket and fleece as a blanket.
- Looking up at the sliver of a moon and a field of stars and thinking about my wonderful supportive wife and kids
- Water ... must drink more water, my god it is hard to stay hydrated but so important.  I had to have drink 15 liters of last week, probably more, but at least that because I refilled my 2l canister at least 4 times, and my 1l canteen several times as well.
- Freezing in the tower (darn wind)
- Freezing at the main gate (darn wind)
- Freezing in general for the first couple of days (darn wind)
- Marching back to Farnham base on Friday morning and feeling a lot of pride

That's all I can remember for the moment.  Looking forward to doing the drill practice this week so I can look sharp for the family and of course the big day on Thursday!

LeonTheNeon said:
Well, it isn't over, but it is over.  Finished Farnham today.  Everybody in our platoon passed, and we only had 4 retests out of 38, so not too bad.  I'm looking forward to graduation.  I know that I've accompished something that I can be proud of for my entire life.  And I know that my military service will be something that I can be proud of too. 

Thanks to everybody on this site for all of your assistance during the recruiting process.  :salute:  I'm looking forward to working with you, and contributing to this site as my TI increases.

Good luck on CAP! 

Back