• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Go figure!- McCallum Will Not Hire More Soldiers- Article

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
From the National Post.
McCallum will not hire more soldiers
OTTAWA - John McCallum, the Defence Minister, has rebuffed calls for a dramatic increase in the size of Canada's military and says the army must become a modern rapid-reaction force without a significant boost to its existing 20,000 troops.

The full article.

http://www.nationalpost.com/home/story.html?id=C88E507E-60A0-4016-9B13-625C22BEE366

McCallum will not hire more soldiers
‘The army has a picture of a body, and the old army has a tiny little head and a huge body‘: Brains better than brawn

Sheldon Alberts, Deputy Ottawa Bureau Chief
National Post

Monday, May 26, 2003

CREDIT: Kevin Frayer, The Canadian Press

There may be fewer Canadian soldiers than 10 years ago but today‘s forces are smarter and better equipped, Defence Minister John McCallum says.

ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA - John McCallum, the Defence Minister, has rebuffed calls for a dramatic increase in the size of Canada‘s military and says the army must become a modern rapid-reaction force without a significant boost to its existing 20,000 troops.

Despite persistent calls for Ottawa to relieve troop burnout by adding thousands more soldiers to Canada‘s army, Mr. McCallum says he has not been convinced of the need for a major expansion of the current force.

"There is no doubt about the strain on the people, and that is a major concern," Mr. McCallum said in an interview on the eve of today‘s first anniversary of his appointment as Defence Minister.

"But if you replace the old kind of equipment with the modern kind of equipment, you need fewer people. And so some people will be freed up to do other things in the military, in the army. In that sense, you won‘t necessarily have a larger number of people. If you have the same number of people in a reformed army -- where you have more brain compared with brawn -- effectively you do have more resources."

Canada‘s armed forces, and the army in particular, were hit hard by a decade-long decline in military budgets as the Liberal government fought to eliminate the federal deficit.

The country‘s military force dropped from 88,000 in 1989 to just 61,000 today. Of those, only 52,000 are considered fully trained, effective personnel.

The army‘s ranks had fallen to 20,179 as of March, and the chief of land forces said this spring that Canada is barely capable of fielding a brigade-size force of 3,000 soldiers on overseas missions.

The Opposition Canadian Alliance issued a defence policy statement this month calling on the government to restore the size of Canada‘s regular force to at least 80,000. But Mr. McCallum, who has embraced the concept of "transformation" within the military, said the army‘s problems are better addressed by updating battlefield technology and replacing Cold War-era equipment like the Leopard tanks, purchased from Germany in the 1970s.

He is considering purchasing lighter and more mobile direct-fire weaponry like the Stryker, an eight-wheeled vehicle being introduced into the U.S. military.

Recruitment of new personnel will focus more on attracting soldiers with skilled trades and medical qualifications -- areas where the army has struggled to retain experienced people. "The ratio of brain to brawn is increasing. The army has a picture of a body, and the old army has a tiny little head and huge body," Mr. McCallum said. "The new army has a much bigger head and a smaller body."

Deborah Grey, a Canadian Alliance defence critic, accused Mr. McCallum of taking half measures. She said the army needs a complete overhaul if it is to survive as a combat-capable force.

"Shame on this government that they even talk about serious systemic changes in the military," Ms. Grey said. "They are going to try and slap a new coat of paint on this, and put one more piece of equipment in, and think the whole thing is transformed."

Ottawa is adding $1.6-billion in new funding to the military over the next two years. Mr. McCallum has identified the army as the branch in greatest need of financial assistance, so a larger portion of the new funds will be spent on the land force as opposed to the air force and navy.

The decision to forego the purchase of new long-range military transport planes will allow money to be spent on more pressing equipment needs, he said.

"I have gone away from the old tradition where every group is treated more or less equally. We can‘t afford to do that," he said. "We have to make strategic choices. I have said we are not going to do strategic airlift. That frees up some number of billions of dollars for other things."

Canada is set to deploy 1,800 troops to Afghanistan in August. Mr. McCallum said outdated equipment like the Leopard tanks would be of little use. The Minister said he wants to "get moving" on the purchase of wheeled direct-fire vehicles, but could not provide a timeline or expected cost.

salberts@nationalpost.com

© Copyright 2003 National Post

Anybody on this board actually feeling "smarter and better equipped"?

Yeah I read this earlier today...does this mean they won‘t take my application??? That would be a mistake I think.

Awwwww, the warm fuzzy feeling of mealy-mouthed Liberal spin.
Kinda reminds me of the feeling you get when you piss down your leg after falling drunkly into the soft, fluffy snowbank outside the pub. Not that I do it *that* often...

Well, I guess I should thank McCallum for providing the final tip of the scales as to whether I‘m going to stay with the Canadian military after completing university.

I‘m not one for profanity...

If he thinks we need more "head" then body, then he can blow us.
:mad:

Considering Canada may make tech changes to the military, I read this article from Stratfor. It suggests one way the Americans are in one region and will it have any influence/bearing/?? on Canadian military evolution? There‘s a password on the article so I posted it below.

USFK Upgrade Aims Beyond Korea
Jun 02, 2003
www.stratfor.com

Summary

U.S. and South Korean defense officials have announced an $11 billion, three-year force enhancement program for U.S. forces stationed in South Korea. The upgrades include supplying the U.S. 7th Air Force with JDAMS, replacing older anti-missile systems and attack helicopters, rotating through Stryker Brigade Combat Teams, storing equipment for one heavy armored brigade on ships off the Korean coast and deploying UAVs. And while the timing of the announcement sends an obvious message to North Korea, the restructuring serves other goals as well.

Analysis

At a joint news conference June 1, South Korean and U.S. defense officials announced an $11 billion, three-year plan to significantly enhance U.S. forces deployed on the peninsula. The plan, discussed by United States Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Gen. Leon J. LaPorte and South Korean Defense Minister Cho Young Kil, includes upgrading anti-missile systems, bombs and helicopters, deploying UAVs and new Stryker Brigade Combat Teams and prepositioning equipment for a heavy armored brigade on ships off the Korean coast.

The timing of the announcement is intended to send signals not only to North Korea -- which recently has renewed its claim of developing nuclear weapons -- but to South Korea, which currently is engaged in negotiations over the future constitution and deployment of U.S. forces. The shift in USFK force structure also represents the broader changes in U.S. deployments planned around the region, and will serve to make the eventual use of USFK forces outside the Korean peninsula a reality.

Among the planned force enhancements are the replacement of older U.S. attack helicopters with AH-64D Apache Longbows and the replacement of much of the U.S. 7th Air Force‘s gravity bombs with Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs) precision-guided bombs. Washington also plans to deploy Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) anti-missile systems to complement the existing PAC-2 systems, and to send unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) with reconnaissance and strike capabilities to the peninsula.

In addition, the U.S. military will rotate the new Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (SBCT) through South Korea and pre-position the equipment for one heavy armored brigade on ships off the Korean coast. The SBCT would see initial deployment in Korea this year. The "upgrades in capabilities demonstrate [the] firm U.S. commitment to the longstanding South Korea-United States alliance," LaPorte was quoted as telling Cho during a May 29 meeting.

The announcement undoubtedly will elicit cries of consternation from Pyongyang, which will view the restructured forces as preparation for an invasion of the North. And Washington is well aware of the signal this sends to North Korea‘s leadership, in spite of assurances that the changing structure has nothing to do with the current nuclear standoff.

But the change also plays into Washington‘s negotiations with South Korea regarding the deployment and basing structure of the USFK. U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz, speaking in Seoul on June 1, called on South Korea to enlarge its own defense budget, given Washington‘s significant economic outlay to enhance forces in Korea. And Washington and Seoul will conduct the next round of the Future of the Alliance Policy Initiative on June 4 and 5.

During this meeting, officials from Washington will explain how the SBCT deployment in South Korea will allow the United States to withdraw its forward-deployed troops south of the Han River without weakening the defense capabilities or commitment of U.S. troops to the protection of South Korea. In fact, Washington is likely to argue that by moving the troops farther south, they would remain outside much of the initial wave of North Korean artillery and rockets should Pyongyang launch a strike against South Korea. Given the more maneuverable nature of the SBCT, U.S. forces then could push north in a rapid counterattack, rather than spend time -- as under the current war plan -- regrouping south of the Han before striking north.

But there is one more aspect of the current restructuring not mentioned publicly by Washington: the ability to free up troops in Korea to deploy elsewhere in the region. By creating a swifter, lighter force in South Korea that relies on technology rather than sheer numbers, and by encouraging South Korea to take a stronger role in its own defense -- particularly along the DMZ -- Washington can create an opening for forces stationed in Korea to respond to emergencies throughout the region.

This fits in with the broader strategic realignment of U.S. forces in the Asia Pacific region, which eventually will rely on fewer large basing agreements and instead will create a network of smaller bases, supply depots and staging areas -- from Korea and Japan to the Philippines, Australia and Singapore -- to respond more rapidly to crises in the region. And for Washington, the ability to move some of the 37,000 troops from Korea to other areas without reducing the deterrent or response capabilities of the USFK will represent a significant step in creating a force structure more attuned to changing world conditions and leaving behind Cold War-style deployments -- not only in Asia but Europe as well.

Me thinks he is back on the sauce, heavily . Keep making press releases like that and he will get to be a member of the coffee club very soon.

The better equipmnt hmmmm. I would love to see some of it. Last Ex we had to scrounge blanks from various sources, just so the troops in our unit would have one Mag each.

Rant is finished .... this kind of cr@p is frustrating to even read, never mind having to swallow it.

Talk about making guys feel abandonned. They are gonna cut people or at least not be overly concerned with increasing the ranks for the sake of new gadgets.

albiet the upgraded tools are much need, I still say they need to be willing to accept more people if people come.

I mean, what about us guys who didn‘t do great in school but still want to succeed? If the military can‘t take us, and we don‘t have a platform for success, we will just end up as welfare cases. Another drain on the economic system of Canada. At least in the forces we contribute in some small way.

The fact is, he just doesn‘t give a f*ck about us, his interest is only in making Canada‘s military look better. Less people deployed means less likely chances of casualties. Upgraded and newer equipement means less accidents (IE: new copter replacements for seakings). New equipment means less hours spent fixing thus less costly in the long term.

McCallum hasn‘t a f*cking clue, his idea has merrit on the surface, but some honest skepticism and deeper look into the topic really reveals how full of sh*t that as$ is.

Hmph. I guess now isnt a good time for me to be looking into joinging :(

Does all this mean we are going to replace our vietnam-war era switchboards? (I‘m not exaggerating, some of the switchboards we use came out in the early sixties)

Back