• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Affairs broke rules by promoting executive who slapped, yelled at staff, watchdog says

Where? That's crazy!
Some Provinces had already done away with it, but it wasn't until 2004 that the Federal Government got rid of it. I'm sure most boards had policies against it. I actually left a private school right before they introduced corporal punishment in the early 2000's when it was still legal.

Edit: it appears that it actually was a Supreme Court decision that ruled that teachers could not use corporal punishment as a corrective measure, but parents still could.

When did the military get rid of corporal punishment? . . .

Punishment back then, as now, was part of the military justice process. Corporal punishment was specifically the lash or flogging. That was eliminated with the Army Act of 1881. However, if by "corporal punishment" you mean could NCOs physically discipline subordinates like schoolboys getting the strap, or more specifically punching, pushing, kicking, striking or hitting with a "stick, ugly, privates, for the beating of" (i.e. drill cane or pace stick) that was probably never "legally" allowed in the Canadian military or naval forces though likely was condoned or turned a blind eye to some extent. But such antics would not have been widespread in the 20th century.

Though there were some exceptions in the 1881 Army Act to permit the flogging of natives.

It was 100% not allowed in 2001 when I joined... I feel like someone told you a story to justify their poor leadership skills.

Anyone who misses the "good old days" when physical size/strength/fighting skill determined who was "right" is missing the picture. That crap lead to issues, that lead us to where we are now.
Concur completely, although I joined more than 2 decades before you, and received "hands on counselling" for the first time from a Maj in the 80s, and certainly witnessed some "alternate dispute resolution" amongst troops in the mid 90s....

Concur completely, although I joined more than 2 decades before you, and received "hands on counselling" for the first time from a Maj in the 80s, and certainly witnessed some "alternate dispute resolution" amongst troops in the mid 90s....
Bill P - a big WO with huge mitts said to me one day "you can go in front of the OC or you can take my punishment" as he held up one of those ham sized fists. I thought to myself "here it comes">

I was prepared to take it. The punishment ? "OK Seggie three extra duties starting Friday."

In the 60's, it was not uncommon for four or five of us to get the strap on a regular basis at school.
and in the 70's. The strap you knew was coming, but the pointer across the knuckles or the chalk brush in the head hurt more because you didn't see it coming.

In the 60's, it was not uncommon for four or five of us to get the strap on a regular basis at school.
So often that the Collage Avenue Principal didn't even have to call my parents anymore,....they gave blanket permission. In Grade 5 I was actually in a cardboard box "area" so I could hear, but not see anyone. Today they'd just shoot me full of some drug, and by the time I was an adult, I'd just be another space cowboy staring straight ahead.

So often that the Collage Avenue Principal didn't even have to call my parents anymore,....they gave blanket permission. In Grade 5 I was actually in a cardboard box "area" so I could hear, but not see anyone. Today they'd just shoot me full of some drug, and by the time I was an adult, I'd just be another space cowboy staring straight ahead.

Yeah... I'd be the guy on the left.... ;)

one flew over the cuckoos nest GIF

Rewarding successful leadership practises the GoC way since 1932 ;)

Global Affairs broke rules by promoting executive who slapped, yelled at staff, watchdog says​

Report finds Global Affairs promoted Latifa Belmahdi after finding she breached code of conduct

Public Sector Integrity Commissioner Joe Friday says Global Affairs Canada committed gross mismanagement by not addressing an executive's inappropriate behaviour and then promoting her, "giving employees the impression that they condoned her behaviour."

The federal government's integrity watchdog has concluded that Global Affairs Canada committed gross mismanagement by failing to keep employees safe from an executive who slapped, pushed and yelled at staff.

A damning new report says Global Affairs conducted its own internal investigation five years ago and found executive Latifa Belmahdi breached its code of conduct.

Despite that finding, the department didn't monitor Belmahdi or stop her from continuing to mistreat staff and make inappropriate comments, the report says.

Instead, the department promoted Belmahdi in 2018 to a higher leadership role.

Public Sector Integrity Commissioner of Canada Joe Friday called the promotion a "serious error" and a "matter of significant importance."

Rewarding successful leadership practises the GoC way since 1932 ;)

Global Affairs broke rules by promoting executive who slapped, yelled at staff, watchdog says​

Report finds Global Affairs promoted Latifa Belmahdi after finding she breached code of conduct

Public Sector Integrity Commissioner Joe Friday says Global Affairs Canada committed gross mismanagement by not addressing an executive's inappropriate behaviour and then promoting her, "giving employees the impression that they condoned her behaviour."

The federal government's integrity watchdog has concluded that Global Affairs Canada committed gross mismanagement by failing to keep employees safe from an executive who slapped, pushed and yelled at staff.

A damning new report says Global Affairs conducted its own internal investigation five years ago and found executive Latifa Belmahdi breached its code of conduct.

Despite that finding, the department didn't monitor Belmahdi or stop her from continuing to mistreat staff and make inappropriate comments, the report says.

Instead, the department promoted Belmahdi in 2018 to a higher leadership role.

Public Sector Integrity Commissioner of Canada Joe Friday called the promotion a "serious error" and a "matter of significant importance."

If she was a General, she'd be fired, with her face all over the evening news...

Ditto min the 1950s ... but teachers did not to advise, much less seek permission from parents.

One of my best teachers (Miss Musgrave (Latin and Math) 1958/59/60) used her long, thin 'pointer' on a very, very regular basis to help with conjugating verbs and understanding differentials.

Back in the day, you didn't want the school to call the parents. Most often that simply meant you got punished twice.

I suppose we all have our stories from that era. We had a geography teacher would could wield a mean wooden yard stick, and a history teacher who had the uncanny ability to be facing the board writing and simultaneously wheel around and fire the chalk at you (the big ones) and actually hit you 9 times out of ten.

There was a dude in one of my middle schools that had a very short fuse, was a marksman with a chalk brush...and managed to smoke a kid with the yellow plastic plug off the end of his pointer stick when he slammed it down on his desk. His name funnily enough was Popoff...

On topic, what is Minister Joly going to do about this violent, toxic workplace ‘leader’?

Ultimately, ministers are accountable for their departments - but ministers cannot be involved in hiring/firing decisions of the public service (other than for their own exempt staff). They have senior public servants (deputy ministers) responsible for that.

The PM announced today that the Deputy Minister at GAC is retiring, with a replacement named effective next Monday. One has to wonder whether the Clerk (most senior member of the public service) whispered something into the ear of the outgoing DM.

Original appointment:

Back