• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Remius said:
It did.  At the beginning but when they saw the public at large didn't care they moved away from it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/trudeau-blackface-discussion-online-1.5306563

"The public at large didn't care"

I think 'Left wing people on Twitter and Facebook didn't seem to care' would be more accurate, according to that article.

It was world news and a big joke about the woke feminist president getting egg on his face, again. I think our media likes to tell is what we think is big news and what's not.

Jarnhamar said:
"The public at large didn't care"

I think 'Left wing people on Twitter and Facebook didn't seem to care' would be more accurate, according to that article.

It was world news and a big joke about the woke feminist president getting egg on his face, again. I think our media likes to tell is what we think is big news and what's not.

That was true, I was traveling in business a lot at the time and saw it globally...HOWEVER...people outside of Canada are eligible to vote in an election, so...  True=/=relevant 

Remius said:
It did.  At the beginning but when they saw the public at large didn't care they moved away from it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/trudeau-blackface-discussion-online-1.5306563

A big difference the LPC vs the CPC this past election was getting in front of issues.  Trudeau stepped up and apologised quickly.  Scheer went into hiding, avoided questions or didn't answer them and only after days did he ever address them.  If you want to keep something I n the media just avoid the questions and look like you are hiding something.

I think you under represent just how much effort the media has made to shape public opinion for the LPC, and how successful it was.  Granted , they've reported on negative things about the LPC and Trudeau, but only because they absolutely had to, and then they quickly moved to something else.  If the CPC or PPC leader had been embroiled in any of the same scandals as Trudeau, it would be round the clock attacks until that person was completely destroyed.  Many people employed in the media were fighting for their financial survival, both the CPC and PPC would have reduced their funding to one extent or another.  As long as the LPC keep tossing hundreds of millions at the media, and the CPC suggest they will defund, the media coverage will be comparatively biased.  The average citizen just catches a 10 second headline then back to kids, hockey, work, etc... this is a huge advantage for the LPC with the media largely on their side. 

Remius said:

A big difference the LPC vs the CPC this past election was getting in front of issues.  Trudeau stepped up and apologised quickly.  Scheer went into hiding, avoided questions or didn't answer them and only after days did he ever address them.  If you want to keep something I n the media just avoid the questions and look like you are hiding something.
Canadians tend to be a forgiving people.

Its why Scheer and his non apology befuddled me.

PuckChaser said:
, we have people supporting someone to be the Prime Minister of our country who wore blackface on multiple occasions.

People like,

President Barack Obama endorses Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau
https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/10/16/barack-obama-justin-trudeau-endorsement/

Martin Luther King's son says he would vote for Trudeau despite pipeline and blackface
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/martin-luther-king-iii-says-he-would-vote-for-trudeau-despite-pipeline-and-blackface
The oldest son and oldest living child of civil rights leaders Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King.

Raptors boss Masai Ujiri backs Trudeau
https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/10/16/a-presidential-endorsement-raptors-boss-masai-ujiri-backs-trudeau/219505
Nigerian professional basketball executive and former player who is the president of basketball operations of the Toronto Raptors in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Rhetorical question: Any similar endorsements for Mr. Scheer?

Perhaps next time the CPC will heed this advice,

Journeyman said:
Especially any CPC leader who won't look the more extreme right elements of the party straight in the eye and say, "STFU; that isn't who we are."  Waffling by saying "I won't open that can of worms.... but hey, if any back benchers want to, who am I to critique" lost him a bunch of credibility.

Or, perhaps not.

I may have to nuance my views on blackface now... I live in a native predominate town... halloween was last night...

It was amazing the number of kids who had darkened faces in order to fit with their costumes...

Yes, most these kids are part native to a degree. So maybe cause they are it is ok? Any rate maybe I am just old now? Maybe this is why the blackface issue has no traction... it is my first year seeing this.. the white kids didn't touch it though... maybe people up here just do not care and it is only bad when right wing, white adults do it?

I was just amazed. My daughter's girl friend was the first to come over and I know for a fact their is not a malicious bone in that family anywhere, great folks, great neighbors and great Canadian's. Maybe the issue has evolved past what it used to be and I missed it.

Anyone else experience this or just me? Because if it is country wide.. maybe I am holding wrong views and will have to ponder if it is still ignorant to do or not.
Abdullah

Remius said:
... the public at large who voted didn't care enough for it to change their vote ...
Another refinement on that ...

Remius said:
At the beginning but when they saw the public at large didn't care they moved away from it.

Interesting,

Trudeau 'blackface' discussion surged online and then waned after 3 days, report finds

: most of the blackface-related tweets coming from Conservative partisan accounts, for example, were only seen by other Conservative partisans, the report found.

"Among partisan Twitter users, Conservatives are driving the conversation about the controversy," the report found. "The blackface-related hashtags are disproportionately populated by right-leaning partisans who are largely speaking among themselves."

Jarnhamar said:
Almost like Trudeau can do no wrong among a majority Liberals eh?

I just know what I read in the article posted by Remius.

AbdullahD said:
I may have to nuance my views on blackface now... I live in a native predominate town... halloween was last night...

It was amazing the number of kids who had darkened faces in order to fit with their costumes...

Yes, most these kids are part native to a degree. So maybe cause they are it is ok? Any rate maybe I am just old now? Maybe this is why the blackface issue has no traction... it is my first year seeing this.. the white kids didn't touch it though... maybe people up here just do not care and it is only bad when right wing, white adults do it?

I was just amazed. My daughter's girl friend was the first to come over and I know for a fact their is not a malicious bone in that family anywhere, great folks, great neighbors and great Canadian's. Maybe the issue has evolved past what it used to be and I missed it.

Anyone else experience this or just me? Because if it is country wide.. maybe I am holding wrong views and will have to ponder if it is still ignorant to do or not.
Abdullah

Fortunately, most normal people don't care about that stuff and just want to have fun. It's the 'Perpetually Outraged' who feed off of the angst to draw attention to themselves.

And most of them are in big cities where they can share their feigned grief more easily.

daftandbarmy said:
Fortunately, most normal people don't care about that stuff and just want to have fun. It's the 'Perpetually Outraged' who feed off of the angst to draw attention to themselves.

And most of them are in big cities online forums that feed their confirmation biases where they can share their feigned grief more easily.

Just sayin'

People, especially conservative supporters, got too wound up over "blackface".

The business with the music/dancing (younger years) was tasteless, yes.  The later dress-up for the party - not at all.  Did everyone forget Trudeau was a drama teacher, and that people who do drama tend to dress a role as well as they can?

"Blackface" is the black-and-red big-"lip" caricature.  Darkening (or lightening) a skin tone is not blackface.  Dressing up, as long as it is done to mimic rather than mock, is not derogatory, even if done light-heartedly.

daftandbarmy said:

And most of them are in big cities where they can share their feigned grief more easily.

So, are saying that Trudeau (before he became a politician) was just one of the normal people?

"Granted , they've reported on negative things about the LPC and Trudeau, but only because they absolutely had to, and then they quickly moved to something else."

The opening reporting on Trudeau and the government's missteps was genuine enough.  Persistence does seem to lack.  But some study would be needed to bear that perception out.  A comparison of the Duffy business to the SNC-Lavalin business (two examples, there are more) would be interesting, to determine whether:
1) The media lets matters drop if the public generally shows no interest.
2) The media keeps at it or drops it depending on which partisans are interested or disinterested.
3) The media is persistent on important scandals regardless whether the public seems disinterested.

Brad Sallows said:

When it get's to which side gets "too wound up over blackface" I think the political persuasion of who is wearing the blackface dictates which side get's "too wound up".

:cheers:

Brad Sallows said:
"Blackface" is the black-and-red big-"lip" caricature.  Darkening (or lightening) a skin tone is not blackface.  Dressing up, as long as it is done to mimic rather than mock, is not derogatory, even if done light-heartedly.

People will understand you're dressed up as Aladdin without blackface. People don't need you to be in blackface when you're singing "Day-O".

If Andrew Scheer dressed up that way multiple times over a few years from high schooler into adulthood (while being employed as a teacher), the media would still be talking about it. Justin Trudeau doing something racist doesn't fit the narrative, so it doesn't get the airtime. Duffy incident got the airtime because it fit the "big bad crony capitalist Tory" narrative.

PuckChaser said:
People will understand you're dressed up as Aladdin without blackface.

Or if it's Aladdin dressed like an African-American.

origin.png

Brad Sallows said:

Maybe. We may have to get used to it,

Trudeau 'blackface' discussion surged online and then waned after 3 days, report finds

: most of the blackface-related tweets coming from Conservative partisan accounts, for example, were only seen by other Conservative partisans, the report found.

"Among partisan Twitter users, Conservatives are driving the conversation about the controversy," the report found. "The blackface-related hashtags are disproportionately populated by right-leaning partisans who are largely speaking among themselves."

The only reason why Canadians voted Liberal party, they are racism. They prefer a teacher from British Colombia instead of the French citizen from Quebec named Thomas Joseph Mulcair. This story of blackface is related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back