• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

>I suppose it depends on whether it’s reasonable to surmise that someone’s current beliefs and attitudes no longer mirror what they used to show.

It is, unless he's manifestly still exhibiting the same behaviour or looks an awful lot like someone just hiding it.  Pretty much every old acquaintance I meet up with after absences covering a few years is not quite the same person.  5 years after high school grad, people had matured.  5 years after uni grad, people had matured more.  5 or 10 years into their post-education life, people had matured even more.  Etc. Etc.  Now, I suppose heading out of middle age, people are supposed to become more curmudgeonly and narrow-minded, but I'm not there yet so can't say whether that's true.

Remius said:
Scheer created a precedent by saying as long as his people apologized for past posts and comments he was ok keeping them.

That's true, but I would argue that some transgressions defy absolution.

So Eric Grenier’s poll tracker has the LPC ahead for the first time since Feb.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Still tight.  But if Andrew Scheer has another bad debate or week we could see the LPC increase the gap.

To add to my post about the LPC leading in the polls, Don Martin expresses exactly what I’m feeling about Scheer.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/don-martin-suddenly-scheer-is-on-trial-by-fire-1.4624576

At least, to his credit, Scheer genuinely looks like his conscience is bothering him over this.

Trudeau? Not so much remorse in that one....

The NDP has a similar problem.

I suppose after the last election the strong leadership contenders looked at the LPC, figured it was in for at least two terms, and decided not to audition for the role of caretaker - let someone else take that bullet.  Then it turns out Trudeau and the LPC are vulnerable after one term.  Oops.

Brad Sallows said:
The NDP has a similar problem.

I suppose after the last election the strong leadership contenders looked at the LPC, figured it was in for at least two terms, and decided not to audition for the role of caretaker - let someone else take that bullet.  Then it turns out Trudeau and the LPC are vulnerable after one term.  Oops.

For sure. Though I find Singh to actually be one of the better performers of this campaign.  But I guess expectations were set low.  The problem is he waited too long to show that side of himself. 

Remius said:
To add to my post about the LPC leading in the polls, Don Martin expresses exactly what I’m feeling about Scheer.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/don-martin-suddenly-scheer-is-on-trial-by-fire-1.4624576

At this point I just hope they can be held to a minority. Let the CPC take the winter to do some serious introspection and for Scheer to exit the leadership in an orderly manner, and then let Raitt, Ambrose, or MacKay take over, roll up their sleeves and get working on cleanup. Hopefully some time in 2022 or so an opportune time arrives to trigger an election.

Brihard said:
At this point I just hope they can be held to a minority. Let the CPC take the winter to do some serious introspection and for Scheer to exit the leadership in an orderly manner, and then let Raitt, Ambrose, or MacKay take over, roll up their sleeves and get working on cleanup. Hopefully some time in 2022 or so an opportune time arrives to trigger an election.
I think even if it is a minority Liberal government although I hope they can win a majority, the NDP will prop them up if necessary.  The NDP will not do anything that could give the Cons a chance so it will go the full four years in my opinion.

Brihard said:
At this point I just hope they can be held to a minority.

I think you should hope big and see them get the treatment they got in the Ontario election :)

I know the rallying cry is that Scheer is booooooooring. Maybe that's what we need. He's got 15 years of experience as politician and what's his biggest sins? Fudging a resume about insurance at 24 and not renouncing his US citizenship until it was convenient for him now.

Trudeau's past and present speak for themselves. If he gets the Liberals re-elected, even as a minority, it's showing Trudeau that he can behave however he wants and not be accountable.

Scheer is severely underwhelming.  My compelling reason to vote CPC right now is that the CPC's idea of fiscal policy is probably the best fit with the (apparently fiscally conservative) departmental regulars, which makes the CPC the best hedge against the imminent recession people keep talking about.  It won't be Harper and Flaherty, but I expect it would be better than the PM's puppeteers and Morneau, and much better than watching a LPC minority negotiate "stimulus spending" with NDP backers.

Jarnhamar said:
If he gets the Liberals re-elected, even as a minority, it's showing Trudeau that he can behave however he wants and not be accountable.

Who could support a leader like that?

Jarnhamar said:
I know the rallying cry is that Scheer is booooooooring.

To be honest boring is fine.  But he’s ineffective.  He waffles under pressure.  And quite likely will not be able to beat a PM who has had more embarrassing scandals than any in recent history. 

I’ll take a LPC minority that will be short lived (I honestly don’t think Trudeau can hold any type of coalition for very long) to allow someone better to replace Scheer.

Even on a fiscal front, there is very little difference between the CPC and LPC right now as far as their platforms are concerned. 

My vote will likely go to who I prefer in my riding.  And right now the incumbent CPC is not the most likeable. Another staffer who became a career politician.

Remius said:
To be honest boring is fine.  But he’s ineffective.  He waffles under pressure.  And quite likely will not be able to beat a PM who has had more embarrassing scandals than any in recent history. 

I’ll take a LPC minority that will be short lived (I honestly don’t think Trudeau can hold any type of coalition for very long) to allow someone better to replace Scheer.

Even on a fiscal front, there is very little difference between the CPC and LPC right now as far as their platforms are concerned. 

My vote will likely go to who I prefer in my riding.  And right now the incumbent CPC is not the most likeable. Another staffer who became a career politician.

That's my problem too. I'm going to have to choke back a lot of bile. The alternative is unthinkable.

:brickwall:

There appears to be something of a fire developing on Twitter vis-a-vis the LPC and an injunction against the Globe and Mail.  :pop:

between Kinsella, Marieka Walsh at the Globe, another unidentified source who was a litigant and party to a confidential settlement agreement, and some documents the Post Millennial has in its possession: there is a Non disclosure agreement that has certain terms including obtaining an injunction in the case of imminent breach by a party thereto.

It seems a certain person sent gliders a garment too far.

Just a reminder:  Twitter aflutter =/= truth or the whole story - remember it was also aflutter about this, too  ;)
Cloud Cover said:
between Kinsella, Marieka Walsh at the Globe, another unidentified source who was a litigant and party to a confidential settlement agreement, and some documents the Post Millennial has in its possession: there is a Non disclosure agreement that has certain terms including obtaining an injunction in the case of imminent breach by a party thereto.
I haven't seen The Post Millenial say they have docs (their site or Twitter feed) - where's that popping up?

Walsh says JT said later that he didn't sign a non-disclosure agreement*, and the former headmaster sent CTV News the attached statement as well.

:pop:

* - A bit of an experiment:  try reading that sentence six different ways, each time emphasizing a different word.

Attachments

• EGD4T3HWkAAN9wx.jpg large.jpg
    EGD4T3HWkAAN9wx.jpg large.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 102
Remius said:
To be honest boring is fine.  But he’s ineffective.  He waffles under pressure.
I haven't seen any videos or sound bites of that but maybe you're right. Do any examples come to mind?

I'm thinking of Trudeau when someone asked him about plastic water bottles. Not much pressure there.

https://youtu.be/_sBxAvxr9fo

He's a drama teacher that excells at memorizing lines.
And quite likely will not be able to beat a PM who has had more embarrassing scandals than any in recent history.

Yup. I had no idea who he was before the Conservative elected him. I wish it was Ambrose in that seat instead.

Back