• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Fishbone Jones said:
If he gets in again, they'll be lots more people living in tents.

And they won't be camping on the taxpayers dime.

Actually, they will. Where do you think social service costs come from?

“But Trudeau’s proposal to spend $150 million a year on “bursaries” for 75,000 low-income families to spend four days annually in a provincial or national park...”

- taking a page out of Strength Through Joy.

Remius said:
Same.  They will not be getting a majority.  A minority situation keeps them a bit more honest but only because they have no choice.

Unfortunately at this point we are far from being able to rule out a majority. It’s well within the margin of error for seat projections.

Imagine what the CAF, the Police forces and Canada in general would look like if we stopped letting figures in positions of authority get away disgusting behavior.

Yea but he was young and we all do stupid things when we're young.
Yea but he didn't know any better.
Yea but it was 20 years ago.
Yea but it wasn't really illegal.
Yea but he feels really bad and said sorry.

Brihard said:
Unfortunately at this point we are far from being able to rule out a majority. It’s well within the margin of error for seat projections.

I agree that a Liberal majority is easily possible but I still think that the Conservative vote is probably being undersold and the vote split on the left has to help the Conservatives. I can see any close Liberal wins from the last election going Conservative this time

No chief of police, senior officer, senior civil servant, “c” level occupant of any political, institutional, and probably even publicly traded corporation would get away with it.

Jarnhamar said:
Imagine what the CAF, the Police forces and Canada in general would look like if we stopped letting figures in positions of authority get away disgusting behavior.

Brown-face / Black-face is bad behavior.

How about resumes?
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSKy-sR7ka84I_JPRvLFWthkndEHw%3A1569962576663&ei=ULqTXYuZKPCIggejnqSoAw&q=scheer+resume&oq=scheer+resume&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..55519...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.5bVrcU7O5-I&ved=0ahUKEwiLgcWt9vvkAhVwhOAKHSMPCTUQ4dUDCAo#spf=1569962635669

mariomike said:
Brown-face / Black-face is bad behavior.

How about resumes?
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSKy-sR7ka84I_JPRvLFWthkndEHw%3A1569962576663&ei=ULqTXYuZKPCIggejnqSoAw&q=scheer+resume&oq=scheer+resume&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..55519...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.5bVrcU7O5-I&ved=0ahUKEwiLgcWt9vvkAhVwhOAKHSMPCTUQ4dUDCAo#spf=1569962635669

Grasping at straws buddy. Not even the nice thick McDicks milkshake straws either  ;)

Do you know what Trudeau was doing around the same time? Groping women at parties then apologizing when he found out they were somebodies and not nobodies.

Is groping women bad behavior too?

Jarnhamar said:
Grasping at straws buddy.

Guess so, buddy. Are you ok with Mr. Scheer and his resume?

mariomike said:
Guess so, buddy. Are you ok with Mr. Scheer and his resume?

Okay with? I think it was a dumb thing to do. Maybe he fudged it, maybe he flat out lied about it.

Compared to the shit Trudeau has done? Light years apart.

Brian Lilley puts trudeau in a nutshell.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-should-choose-truth-for-a-change?fbclid=IwAR3batoDgAEser75voFlORs448YZ5UxAHXhGJfRwYEi5YHGkTT8KLDwElv0

LILLEY: Trudeau should choose truth for a change

Even in Montreal, Justin Trudeau couldn’t help but campaign against Ontario’s premier.

The PM was announcing a new plan to plant 2 billion trees over the next 10 years when he took his latest shot at Doug Ford.

“Doug Ford tried to ax tree planting in Ontario. A shortsighted decision not just for our environment but for the hundreds of seasonal jobs that it puts at risk,” Trudeau said.

The Liberal leader was in Montreal to join the climate march that was mostly denouncing him and his government for not doing enough and denouncing his purchase of the Trans Mountain Pipeline.

Trudeau’s answer to them is that his government will plant trees, and Conservatives, like Doug Ford, hate trees. Except that’s not true.

Like much of what Trudeau has been saying about Ford as he crosses Canada campaigning against Ontario’s premier, the tree claim is twisted like an old root bursting out of the ground.

Ontario did drop their 50 million tree program, first started in 2007, but they did so because it wasn’t planting enough trees. It averaged about 2.5 million trees a year and had not met the goals that were set when it was established and was not cost-effective.

By comparison, Ontario’s forestry industry plants 68 million trees a year without government subsidy.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of attacking your opponent, or actually, not even your opponent. Doug Ford’s name won’t appear on a single ballot this election but from coast to coast, Justin Trudeau is campaigning against the Ontario premier.

“Are you not misleading voters by campaigning against somebody who isn’t even on the ballot and has different policies than Mr. Scheer?” Trudeau was asked by CTV reporter Glen McGregor on Thursday.

Trudeau’s response was to mislead anyone watching by attacking Ford and claiming those same policies belong to Andrew Scheer.

“You know who misled voters? Doug Ford said he was for the people and turned around and cut services for everyone while cutting taxes for the wealthiest,” Trudeau said.

I asked his campaign to name the tax cuts for the wealthiest that they keep mentioning at every turn because I couldn’t find these big tax cuts in any Ontario government document like say, the budget.

“Doug Ford eliminated a surtax on the highest earning Ontarians. He also cut estate taxes, further benefiting the wealthiest 1%,” said Trudeau spokesperson Eleanore Catenaro.

I looked up this supposed surtax cut, it doesn’t exist. The tax rates in Ontario under Doug Ford are the same as they were under former Liberal premier Kathleen Wynne.

All that happened is that Ford cancelled a tax hike that Wynne had proposed but not implemented.

As for estate taxes, the biggest tax cut there is eliminated a $250 fee for anyone settling the estate of a deceased loved one valued at less than $50,000. Is that how we now define the 1%?

Justin Trudeau has spent a lot of time talking about positive politics and against the politics of fear. He’s spoken out against politicians who distort the truth to make their point and he even passed legislation to try to deal with misinformation being spread during elections.

Yet at stop after stop, he tells outright lies about his opponents. He doesn’t just torque or twist the truth to make him look better than his opponents — he lies.

I’ve been around politics long enough to know that this isn’t just a problem with Trudeau or the Liberal Party alone. But for him to continually preach that we can’t campaign on fear and that facts matter is a bit rich.

I’d like to start hearing the truth from Justin Trudeau but given how he has reacted to SNC-Lavalin, blackface and other problems he’s faced, I won’t be holding my breath

Remius said:
If he loses he's done.  If he wins a minority he'll be hanging by a thread and might not run in the next one.  Depends on who is waiting in the wings on both sides.

Agreed. Liberals eat their own.

Retired AF Guy said:
Agreed. Liberals eat their own.

Liberals, like any party, reward forward movement. Stop moving the party forward? See ya. The sun rises and sets on political leaders of any stripe. One of the two contender parties is likely gonna be looking for a new boss before the year is out.

How can anyone even remotely want a guy (Scheer) with next to zero experience working in the real world to be our leader.? He has no idea what it's like in real life.  Trudeau had a privileged upbringing but he shouldn't be faulted because of that.  He at least had several jobs before going into politics and please nobody tell me being an art teacher isn't a real job.  You don't need to be a bricklayer or Truck driver to have been a hard worker.

stellarpanther said:
He has no idea what it's like in real life. 

Probably going to be a lot of back and forth over who is most, or least, qualified.

As far as I can tell, to get into politics in this country, one must be a Canadian citizen ( don't have to be born here ), over the age of 18, and have a pulse.

There is yet hope...

https://election.ctvnews.ca/the-greta-effect-nanos-survey-suggests-young-voters-turning-on-trudeau-1.4616701

The Greta effect? Nanos survey suggests young voters turning on Trudeau

Ryan Flanagan CTVNews.ca Writer

Published Monday, September 30, 2019 10:29AM EDT

<snip>

TORONTO - Support for Justin Trudeau among young voters appears to have plummeted in the wake of the Liberal leader’s meeting with teenage environmental activist Greta Thunberg and the release of his party’s platform.

Polling data from Nanos Research shows that the proportion of voters aged 18 to 29 who cite Trudeau as their preferred prime minister fell from nearly 35 per cent to a little more than 24 per cent within 24 hours.

<snip>

Combining all age groups, the gap between Trudeau’s personal popularity and Scheer’s is now the smallest it has been since the campaign began.

Nanos registered support for Trudeau as preferred prime minister as 28.26 per cent, compared to 27.99 per cent for Scheer. Another 18 per cent of voters are undecided on this score.

<snip>

https://o.canada.com/news/politics/election-2019/john-ivison-poll-shows-more-people-are-starting-to-believe-scheer-really-could-become-pm/wcm/30c30d35-8511-4933-83b7-7ff964fcee8c

John Ivison: Poll shows more people are starting to believe Scheer really could become PM

Scheer is rolling out policy likely to find favour with people not as disposed as Trudeau to using Canadian taxpayers’ money to save the world

John Ivison October 1, 2019

<snip>

Alberta premier Jason Kenney introduced him from the back of a pick-up truck in Edmonton last Saturday and one comment in particular resonated with the crowd. “This is a prime minister we will never have to be embarrassed about. He won’t be apologizing all the time,” Kenney said.

Scheer’s strategy has been to focus on the concerns of people who might vote Conservative and leave the Liberals, NDP and Greens to fight over issues like climate change. The calculation was made that more votes would be gained campaigning against the carbon tax than would be lost.

Fortunately for the Conservatives, affordability concerns are clear and present for the more than half of Canadians who live paycheque to paycheque. A new poll by BDO Canada suggests 53 per cent of Canadians have little disposable income, 57 per cent are carrying credit card debt and 38 per cent of 35-54 year olds have no retirement savings.

<snip>

But he is rolling out policy on a daily basis that is likely to find favour with people living paycheque to paycheque who may not be as disposed as Justin Trudeau to using Canadian taxpayers’ money to save the world.

<snip>

And, yes, "jobs" - with a student review:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/malcolm-trudeaus-yearbook-tells-a-bigger-story

MALCOLM: Trudeau's yearbook tells a bigger story

Candice Malcolm September 30, 2019

Flipping through the pages of the 2000 and 2001 West Point Grey Academy (WPGA) yearbooks, we see a different side of our progressive prime minister.

The shocking image of Justin Trudeau with painted black skin and a large white turban shows that, as the 29-year-old celebrity son of a former Prime Minister, Trudeau was hardly a serious person, let alone a mature role model or teacher.

The cringe-worthy blackface photo at the Arabian Nights gala fundraiser is just one example. Trudeau’s photo is featured over and over again in the yearbook, smiling and hanging out - looking more like a teenage student than a teacher in his late twenties.

A former student tells me that during Trudeau’s short stint at WPGA, he was the back-up drama teacher, a yearbook instructor, coach of the ultimate frisbee team and he taught French to children in the junior school. Oh, and he helped the school raise hundreds of thousands of dollars through its gala fundraising dinners.

Another student tells me, “he was nice and floated around … not a great teacher though.”

Trudeau’s photo appears no less than a dozen times in each yearbook - more than most students at the small elite private school in the West side of Vancouver.

The only photo that shows Trudeau actually teaching came in the 2000 yearbook, where Trudeau can be seen wearing a traditional Scottish Highlander outfit - a white puffy shirt, knee-high socks and a kilt - reading to children with the caption: “Mr. Trudeau loves teaching French to kindergarten students.”

Trudeau has said that he was a math teacher, but there is no mention of Trudeau teaching it at WPGA. The page featuring the school’s Mathcounts competition team lists all the teachers involved. Trudeau’s name is not included.

Trudeau is featured very prominently, however, on the school’s ultimate frisbee team page, with three different photos showing Trudeau in wild outfits — hugging and roughhousing with the students. His various costumes included black and white face paint, a big black afro wig, a kilt and a large Mickey Mouse hat.

The team was called the “MadHatters,” and the yearbook includes a poem about the team that describes Trudeau as “a loud-mouthed maniac.”

<snip>

Photographs at link.

>Are you ok with Mr. Scheer and his resume?

Too funny.  I've seen a lot of resumes.  Resume padding (and lying) is about as small a beer as we've ever been asked to criticize in a potential prime minister.

http://angusreid.org/election-2019-swing-ridings/

Tight race throwback: In 2015’s closest ridings CPC makes gains, Liberals decline, NDP deflates

October 1, 2019 – With just three weeks until the 43rd Canadian federal election, all eyes are on the leaders as they ready for the official debates on October 7 and 10. The attention of the party campaigns, however, is likely zeroed in on competitive ridings across the country. Every vote is important in what appears to be a close contest.

The latest study from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute examines the 67 closest ridings (20% of all ridings) from the 2015 election. Each was decided by five percentage points or fewer four years ago. By identifying these ridings and sampling exclusively within them, trends emerge that have positive and negative implications for each of the parties.

Overall, among these 67 ridings, the Liberal Party finished with a 9-point advantage in the 2015 election results. Currently, however, the Conservatives now lead vote intention in these ridings by six points.

For the Conservative Party, a marked shift overall, and significant gains in Western Canadian ridings, point to a closer national contest this time around. That said, neither the CPC nor the Liberals can yet claim the upper hand in closely contested Ontario ridings.

For the Liberals, support levels in 20 Quebec swing ridings remain close to that of four years ago, dropping slightly from 29 to 24 per cent. Notably, however, the Bloc Quebecois hold a small lead within these districts, and the CPC are now more competitive, up seven points from 2015.

The trouble for the New Democratic Party is not concentrated in one region, as its support has dwindled most everywhere when it comes to tight 2015 ridings, but the negative trend is most prominent in Quebec. In 2015, the NDP garnered 29 per cent of the vote in the most competitive ridings within that province; the party’s vote intention is now close to just one-third of that.

More Key Findings:

The Liberal Party won 33 ridings by five or fewer points in 2015, garnering 41 per cent of the aggregate vote in those districts. Current vote intention in these same ridings finds Liberal support down to 31 points, with the CPC garnering 35 per cent of the vote, up from the 30 per cent it received last election

Importantly, the Liberals defeated the Conservatives by five or fewer points in 20 electoral districts in 2015, with an aggregate vote advantage of just three points overall. The Conservatives now lead vote intention in these 20 ridings by a massive 15 points

In Western Canada, 17 ridings made for close races in 2015. Eight are currently held by the Liberals, five by the NDP and four by the CPC. The CPC advantage was one point in 2015 in these 17 ridings and now stands at 21 points

<snip>

Brad Sallows said:
I've seen a lot of resumes.

Congratulations.

All I know about resumes is what CAF applicants are told about being honest.

The PM was announcing a new plan to plant 2 billion trees

The Great Oxidation Event was a time that Earth's atmosphere and the shallow ocean experienced a rise in oxygen, around 2.4 billion years ago during the Paleoproterozoic era. Geological, isotopic, and chemical evidence suggests that biologically induced molecular oxygen started to accumulate in Earth's atmosphere and changed Earth's atmosphere from a weakly reducing atmosphere to an oxidizing atmosphere,  causing almost all life on Earth to go extinct.. The causes of the event remain unclear.
-Wikipedia

:Tin-Foil-Hat:

Back