• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GDLS unveils new light tank for US army

Brihard said:
I don't think it's intended to do much in a surge capacity against a peer or near-peer adversary, but if you have a less capable national power threatening some of your key interests, the ability to, say, seize an airfield and then put a bunch of these on the ground alongside infantry and under your own airpower would be compelling.

We practised that kind of operation alot in 5 AB Bde, practising for the likelihood of a 'Kolwezi II' type SPE/NEO operation.

The 'light tanks' were CVR (T), LAPESd in by C-130. It worked great, mainly because we could take the pish out of the plummy Blues and Royals' accents :).

This has been an element of the medium holy grail for about three to four decades now.

Recommend looking at RAND's Lightning Over Water study as a good primer to understand the essence of what the U.S. is looking for.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1196.html

As well, the role of French light armour in Op SERVAL resonates with this outlook.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR770.html

I enjoy how they talk about operating in a Chinese or Russian Anti-Access/Area Denial (AAAD). Seems to be the latest jargon to try and get something through Congress or shoot down some other Service's program.

Let's say we accept that premise - how do you get those things into the theatre if the AAAD is so good? So you can get a C17 in there with these things, but nothing else?  :eek:rly:

Target Up said:
... because you're really going to need them.

At least they actual get them into service instead of spending oodles of money with nothing to show for 20 years worth of effort.

Tango2Bravo said:
I enjoy how they talk about operating in a Chinese or Russian Anti-Access/Area Denial (AAAD). Seems to be the latest jargon to try and get something through Congress or shoot down some other Service's program.

Let's say we accept that premise - how do you get those things into the theatre if the AAAD is so good? So you can get a C17 in there with these things, but nothing else?  :eek:rly:

That! Is right the question! - That's the one that Multi-Domain Operations and all its derivatives are trying to answer. Big, big work-in-progress.  RIP Air Land Battle. RIP Air Sea Battle. Long live MDO.

:cheers:

Tango2Bravo said:

Don't discount the role of ego in pushing this type of operational capability. Everyone wants to pretend they're capable of leading 'Normandy 2.0' ...

We were pretty clear that, even though we had a big, bad Airborne Brigade, we wouldn't be trying anything fancy anywhere other than a 3rd World scenario. And even then, the whole 'controlling the airfield footprint' thing was hugely important.

What i see a small AFV offering is protected radio comms and surveillance equipment. going by what D&B is saying grabbing and holding an airfield would need a light AFV to provide DF support to take out technical's, APC's and RPG teams. Mortars to provide firesupport  mounted and/or emplaced. Weight and space saved equals more fuel, ammunition, food and water delivered, which is likley more important than a slightly better light tank.

I struggle to see what value all this money spent brings over a upgraded Walker Bulldog or upgraded Scorpion each fitted with a 90mm LP gun.   

Colin P said:
What i see a small AFV offering is protected radio comms and surveillance equipment. going by what D&B is saying grabbing and holding an airfield would need a light AFV to provide DF support to take out technical's, APC's and RPG teams. Mortars to provide firesupport  mounted and/or emplaced. Weight and space saved equals more fuel, ammunition, food and water delivered, which is likley more important than a slightly better light tank.

I struggle to see what value all this money spent brings over a upgraded Walker Bulldog or upgraded Scorpion each fitted with a 90mm LP gun. 

Exactly.

The light tanks brought II/TI and other surveillance tools, comms, and a rapid, all terrain, direct fire capability to the party. And when you add in the mortars, guns, engineers and air support, it makes for a pretty capable package.

Colin P said:

If you're going to go small for airborne/air-mobile ops , then go small.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZvVEJ-IOuc

They are good for all the roles except direct fire. Hell a stripped down Leopard 1 offers pretty much everything you want for about 40 tons.

daftandbarmy said:
Don't discount the role of ego in pushing this type of operational capability. Everyone wants to pretend they're capable of leading 'Normandy 2.0' ...

We were pretty clear that, even though we had a big, bad Airborne Brigade, we wouldn't be trying anything fancy anywhere other than a 3rd World scenario. And even then, the whole 'controlling the airfield footprint' thing was hugely important.

I have Tootle's book, Danger Close about 3 Para's entry into Helmand. Even the 3rd World can be challenging if you've got very little with you.

;D

FJAG said:
I have Tootle's book, Danger Close about 3 Para's entry into Helmand. Even the 3rd World can be challenging if you've got very little with you.

;D

Apparently it can also be challenging if you bite off way more then you can chew :)

And immediately after I post.you t.shows up....0
Go really small tanks

Those crazy East Germans kids.

But just think how cool those would be when you were 12! Yes the Stasi sucks but here drive a mini tank for the Vatherland.

Back