• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Naval platforms, systems, & fleet composition

If Davie wants work, they should probably get up to the same quality standard as the NSS yards. I've seen all 3 yards and Davie is still 3rd place.
Maybe why that contract for the third yard hasn't been announced yet?

You want a piracy/drug patrol boat with ice strengthening and two helo that can carry up to 300 riders and a RORO deck? Go big or go home I guess (it's only marginally shorter than a frigate), never know when you might get arctic narco pirates.

If Davie wants work, they should probably get up to the same quality standard as the NSS yards. I've seen all 3 yards and Davie is still 3rd place.
Of course it's primary purpose is transport. Adding other duty options for it when it's not "transporting" may make the sales pitch more convincing as opposed to continuing to fail with a sales pitch for the Big Honkin Ship that will sit in Halifax looking for something substantial to move or a disaster to rush off to. And, there is discussion in other threads about obtaining an OPV.
Similar idea to the Absalon but focused more on the transport side. And the hull would be ice strengthened not ice breaking.

An interesting opinion piece on the US Naval Institute website arguing the advantages of more numerous, longer range Anti-Surface Missiles with smaller warheads over heavier missiles.

It's not specifically mentioned in the article, but I'm guessing that a missile with a smaller warhead could potentially be faster, more maneuverable and more difficult to hit than a larger missile (depending on the method of propulsion and trade-offs between size and range, etc.).

Canadian Company Cellula Robotics Ltd. working on a prototype XLUUV for the Royal Australian Navy with the first hull expected 4th quarter of this year.

The press release describes the project as "delivering our concept of an underwater loyal-wingman to the Royal Australian Navy".

Looks like a project on which the RCN could benefit from partnering with the Aussies.

Canadian Company Cellula Robotics Ltd. working on a prototype XLUUV for the Royal Australian Navy with the first hull expected 4th quarter of this year.

The press release describes the project as "delivering our concept of an underwater loyal-wingman to the Royal Australian Navy".

Looks like a project on which the RCN could benefit from partnering with the Aussies.
The website points to the fact that DRDC funded their initial prototype for a long-range UUV (Solus-LR). Good news story as not all DRDC projects make it to industry.

Back