• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

If this was a planned phased approach a transparent and good government would have informed the country with detailed timelines right about the time the truckers were making a stink... perhaps to take the wind out of their sails and keep everyone in the loop... No, we got "racists" instead.

Based on everything I've seen since 2015, I'd place my money on Puckchaser's post. This PM, entire cabinet, and MPs in support of, can't be bounced soon enough or hard enough.
Just so I understand clearly, you guys are insinuating that the LPC had information that some of these mandates were no longer needed, and they were prepared to retract them, but decided to delay retracting them until after PP became opposition leader, so that the LPC could take a bit of wind out of his sails from the get go?

If this was a planned phased approach a transparent and good government would have informed the country with detailed timelines right about the time the truckers were making a stink... perhaps to take the wind out of their sails and keep everyone in the loop... No, we got "racists" instead.

Based on everything I've seen since 2015, I'd place my money on Puckchaser's post. This PM, entire cabinet, and MPs in support of, can't be bounced soon enough or hard enough.
No one, anywhere, had detailed timelines of anything at the time.

Bear in mind that the original protest (before everyone else's other grievances came in) was the Canadian ban on non-vaccinated Canadian truckers returning from the US. A ban, by the way, that was also an American policy. So Canadian truckers wouldn't even be able to get into the US in the first place.

At that time, the US didn't say when they would be dropping that ban. How is the Cdn govt supposed to inform the country about a ban that another govt instituted, and didn't tell the Cdn govt its timelines?

Bear in mind that the original protest (before everyone else's other grievances came in) was the Canadian ban on non-vaccinated Canadian truckers returning from the US. A ban, by the way, that was also an American policy. So Canadian truckers wouldn't even be able to get into the US in the first place.

At that time, the US didn't say when they would be dropping that ban. How is the Cdn govt supposed to inform the country about a ban that another govt instituted, and didn't tell the Cdn govt its timelines?
I was in western Manitoba when the convoy rolled through. A vast majority of the supporters on the side of the TCH were people just fed up with the overall policy direction of the government and not directed at specific vaccine mandates or lockdowns. They saw this as an easy and safe way to show their displeasure at Ottawa. I’ve seen this sort of response time and time again from the west and it usually fizzles out by the time it reaches Thunder Bay. I think the government was counting on that as well but for whatever reason it maintained its strength all the way to Wellington St.
I’m pretty tuned into the attitudes of most rural people in the west and they were initially happy Ottawa got a bit of discomfort but that support dried up after day 3 of the occupation.
But if the Libs and NDP want to campaign on the Occupation out in the west, they’re not going to find much traction. Not that they had a hope in hell in any case.

No matter how it was painted, the Freedom Convoy was a pointed effort at Western displeasure at the Canadian government. Full stop. And I agree. When an election is decided when they reach Toronto, what can people out West do? The fact that the current government enacted the EMA is shameful, when people feel disenfranchised.

I really could have done without the posturing by both sides.
And I really could have done without the a**wipe who told me that by handing out masks at the hospital. He'd see to it that I would be one of the first up against the wall....it was icy and he fell.

No matter how it was painted, the Freedom Convoy was a pointed effort at Western displeasure at the Canadian government. Full stop. And I agree. When an election is decided when they reach Toronto, what can people out West do? The fact that the current government enacted the EMA is shameful, when people feel disenfranchised.

Well, on the West Coast we...

camping free people GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

I really could have done without the posturing by both sides.
And I really could have done without the a**wipe who told me that by handing out masks at the hospital. He'd see to it that I would be one of the first up against the wall....it was icy and he fell.
Just about every protest movement seems to attract morons. This one just seemed to attract more then the usual number.And most of them also were convinced that they were really big wheels in the organization .
The funny part is he really actually did fall . And maybe it says something bad about me but it did bring a smile to my face.

Last edited:

Some schadenfreude in that last bit. :)

I don't think you folks who worked to keep the rest of us safe from this invisible enemy will ever get the credit you deserve. They say no good deed goes unpunished. :salute:

Can confirm. The convoy protests was super white.

Interesting observation from the front-line.

It was kind of funny here in the Ottawa Valley watching it come thru and the people who got involved and were pro convoy.

Saw cars from the area, with signs and flashing lights. Marked as Convoy control cars. Plywood signs where the 17 became the 417 outside Arnprior.

We still have the cars and trucks in the Valley with Flags, and the convoy supporting signs and marked as convoy control chase cars. Most of these cars were small rice burners, guys with big pick up trucks that were modified with straight pipes, mostly young people who needed to feel they belonged to something bigger then them.

Telling the convoy to send it large and take all lanes up. Area farmer had a huge field cleared of snow and installed a huge fire pit and did a BBQ along the road.
But I also saw the area businesses that did not want to support them even thou they were in the trucking world of business. Fuel up and please leave, they did not want to painted as a supporter and lose local business.

The traffic did damage to roads because they were never designed for that traffic load.

Watched the convoy come from the West drive by my office window ( i stayed at work that night worried i might get home or back to work in the morning with the traffic delays). Hitting Ottawa as rush hour Ottawa begins ( already slow traffic on 3 lanes of the Queensway each way).

This convoy only punished people who lived in Ottawa, did not change anything, the costs of this got added to the covid bill.

No matter the outcome it was going to be negative and have negative effects on their fellow Canadians.

But when it comes down to it, they have to investigate the money flow, where did it come from, where did it go, how did it get used, where did the remaining funds not used get put, what charity they were support with it, did that charity want the ties to the convoy, was the convoy organizers pocketing cash or skimming funds off to another group etc. This needs to be addressed and made public, do not need a list of donors, but need to show where it went.

I always figured this group could of been a political power fund raising group. They could of used the power behind their group to back various candidates for almost any election and maybe change the face of government. But they went this direction instead.

Can confirm. The convoy protests was super white. Not exclusively, but overwhelmingly. I thought I’d somehow stumbled into a fight at the Kingston yacht club.

Definitely not just male. Majority male, but plenty of women too. Purely from eyeballing it I’d say proportionately more men than women were arrested, but I’d also say that men were disproportionately the ones acting sufficiently aggressively as to stand out from the people around them and get arrested. But that’s also totally normal for pretty much any ‘big angry crowd’ protest with significant arrests.

A protest with active police action is an environment ripe for testosterone poisoning.
Because very few Nigerian, Nicaraguan, or Indian immigrants move to Saskatchewan, or Alberta, I'm not surprised that the protest was super white. The protest was about government interference, not about the colour of your skin.

This is the problem with political discourse.

You are both conducting a critical analysis of recent government decisions.

But because @Navy_Pete's conclusion differs from yours, you claim he's being partisan.

You're so sure that your conclusion is right, that the only way someone could have a different conclusion is if they are being partisan.
Unless you are being partisan

Because very few Nigerian, Nicaraguan, or Indian immigrants move to Saskatchewan, or Alberta, I'm not surprised that the protest was super white. The protest was about government interference, not about the colour of your skin.
I won't speak to the ones in SK or AB, but the Ottawa one was super white.

Ummmmmmm, most of the protesters were from the West
Are you referring to the core group of a couple hundred trucker protestors, or the larger group of 10k+ at its peak? Either way, what's your source on that? My gut says your wrong, but I can't back it up; I can't actually find data either way as to the origin of the protestors (either the core or the larger group), other than individuals.

Lots of Quebec “truckers”.

Motorcycle groups from all over

Not sure what the breakdown on where people were from.

The convoy claims it was from all over Canada. Unless they were exaggerating?

This is the problem with political discourse.

You are both conducting a critical analysis of recent government decisions.

But because @Navy_Pete's conclusion differs from yours, you claim he's being partisan.

You're so sure that your conclusion is right, that the only way someone could have a different conclusion is if they are being partisan.
I'm getting a big white privilege vibe from this post.

I'm getting a big white privilege vibe from this post.
Am I so upsetting you in the other thread that you have to drag it into this one? When I mentioned a vibe I was feeling, it was no more than an explanation directly to MJP as to how I was feeling. I didn't use it as a response or retort to anyone else in particular's message, unlike what you just did.

But, fine, I'll bite, what else am I suppose to do while I wait for Fiona? I am white, and by many standards, very privileged, so, you're probably right, my statement is likely coloured by my experience and biased toward my cis-white upper-middle-class experience. Tell me @PuckChaser, can you expand upon this and tell me how my statement above lacks objectivity? What is the more objectively true conclusion that I should have come to?

Are you referring to the core group of a couple hundred trucker protestors, or the larger group of 10k+ at its peak? Either way, what's your source on that? My gut says your wrong, but I can't back it up; I can't actually find data either way as to the origin of the protestors (either the core or the larger group), other than individuals.
Well then maybe you should trust your gut. I am going by the media posts, and who was arrested.

Back