• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces plan $101-million upgrade for CFS St. John's

UPDATE......

DND News Release

News Release
Land Purchased for a New Multi-Purpose Facility in St. John’s
NR–07.102 - November 21, 2007

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. - The Department of National Defence (DND) has purchased approximately 6.4 hectares of land from Canada Lands Company CLC Limited (CLC). The site was purchased for approximately $800 thousand and will become home to the new multi-purpose facility at Canadian Forces Station (CFS) St. John’s in Pleasantville, Newfoundland and Labrador.

CFS St. John’s and several Reserve and Cadet Units are currently dispersed across land that is over three times larger than the assessed requirement. In an effort to consolidate operations at the Station, the Department purchased 6.4 hectares of land on the south-western side of the current Pleasantville location.

“This investment, which is part of the $101 million construction initiative announced in April, clearly demonstrates the commitment of this government to the Canadian Forces and to CFS St. John’s in Pleasantville,” said The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency.

“CFS St. John’s performs an important role in Newfoundland and Labrador. The Station provides training, operational support and family resources for numerous military units,” said the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Rick Hillier. “This project is long overdue, and once completed, will better support future operations.”

“The purchase of this land and the planned construction project will significantly increase employment opportunities in the region,” said the Honourable Loyola Hearn, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Minister responsible for Newfoundland and Labrador. “This is a major economic benefit for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.”

The new multi-purpose facility project, estimated to be completed by Winter 2013, will replace facilities that were constructed as an American Army Base during the Second Word War, and then transferred to the Canadian Government in the late 1960s. The new facility will comprise operational training space, offices and classrooms, medical and dental facilities, messes, vehicle maintenance bays, warehouse space, and a Military Family Resource Centre.

There has been a military presence in Pleasantville since the First World War. Until recently, DND had been leasing the land from CLC, which purchased the site from Public Works and Government Services of Canada in 2006

Nfld Sapper said:
DND News Release
CFS St. John’s and several Reserve and Cadet Units are currently dispersed across land that is over three times larger than the assessed requirement.

Of course, once the new armoury is built... it'll result exactly 4/5ths of the building space actually needed... the "land" the base is dispersed across right now IS far more then needed... but the actually floor space of the buildings occupying said land only meets maybe 3/4s of the demand... and with all the units in pleasentville in the process of expanding... should be fun...

Yeah I guess that's why my unit is gonna put a second Field Squadron in NB.

.... OOPSIE!?!

Mind you, by the time the new construction is "up", they may decide to hang onto one of the older facilities OR build again.....

Nfld Sapper said:
Yeah I guess that's why my unit is gonna put a second Field Squadron in NB.

NB as in New Brunswick??

I know 36 has a troop or some such of truckers out in Conception Bay North somewhere.

Just a Sig Op said:
NB as in New Brunswick??

I know 36 has a troop or some such of truckers out in Conception Bay North somewhere.

Yup as in Fredrecton, New Brunswick. But Regimental Headquarters will still be here.

How very odd... are there any Field Engineer regiments in New Brunswick already?

Back to the Pleasentville... the RNFLDR went recruiting mad over the summer, as did 36, and 728 is also expanding... no idea if ARFT is staying the same size... either way, should be interesting...

geo said:
.... OOPSIE!?!

Mind you, by the time the new construction is "up", they may decide to hang onto one of the older facilities OR build again.....

They won't be hanging on to the older facilities, they're WWII Surplus (Never built to the highest standard to begin with, as they were built in a big rush. All which haven't been condemned have been renovated, most several times, but they're still 60 year old wooden buildings), most of the buildings are condemned, chock full of asbestos, and in short, in dire need of replacement. Plus, the buildings aren't even DND property, they belong to CLC, or so the legend goes...

Building again, a possibility, but unlikely... the property on which the buildings currently stands is prime land for real estate development, and will no doubt be snapped up as soon as it's available. So either they'll have to build elsewhere (Aside from the white hills, I can't think of any vacant land nearby, so somone would be very much "decentralized" from the resources...) or add another floor to the proposed "super-armory".

It's not as if I've seen any blue prints, could well work out just fine... I'm just skeptical.

Heh.... if we didn't know any better
we'd say you were somewhat "bent & twisted" ;)

I hope everyone has a grain of salt with them.

Start up is a long way off and we all know how the government can change direction on money items.

All that is being done is they will be shrinking the fish bowl and keeping the same amount of fish in a smaller bowl.

I do hope it all works out to everyone's satisfaction.

Back