• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Following LT into the Service? Maybe!

rennick

Inactive
Reaction score
I've really appreciated this forum over the last several months, and I'm hoping you guys can help me with some of my questions.

For background, my husband had his swearing in ceremony 2 weeks ago, and heads off to BMOQ on May 7th to begin his career as a Social Work Officer with the forces. As we've been given to understand, his BMOQ will go from May 9 - August 19, followed by up to 7 months (or more, depending on how long he takes to reach BBB) of Second Language training. After that, he'll be posted for OJT, and we'll be moved to join him (he has held his MSW for several years already).

After hearing him talk about this for several months, and his excitement in anticipation of joining, I'm starting to get a little bit of the bug. I've never had a job that had much meaning, and the idea of having a meaningful job is really appealing to me,  so I'm really considering joining (or I should say, applying to join).

I understand that the best chance of being posted with my husband (but recognizing there are no guarantees) is to apply to the RMS Clerk trade. I could possibly qualify for LOG O, but honestly, I'm not sure I'm officer material.

So, here are my actual questions:

1. Given that hiring seems to be slow in general, would it make sense to put in my application prior to the completion of my husband's training (as in, once he's finished BMOQ), or would it instead be best, in your opinion, to wait until we've been posted, and settled in, and then put in my app? I do have teenagers, so if I was offered a position before he was done SLT, I'd have to turn it down, I imagine.

2. I have a 4-yr BSc degree, and have worked in a variety of administrative areas, as well as the last 10+ years in data analysis/information technology, but I have no formal training/certification in any of the specific fields that RMS Clerks appear to work in. Would it be of value to use the time between now and when I would apply to obtain credentials, such as a college certification in HRM, payroll admin, etc. Not just in terms of improving my application, but in being able to perform with excellence in the trade.

3. For those in the trade, is there a standard sequence of promotion? All things being equal, where, in rank, could an average RMS Clerk expect to be 10 years in? Would having specific credentials as mentioned above have any influence on promotions? I know for my husband, they told him that he will likely not be promoted beyond Captain, as there are only very few SWO Majors. Is there a similar NCM ceiling for RMS Clerks?

4. Since my husband has only 14 years until he reaches 60, I would anticipate having 7-8 years of career left at that point. Would there, at whatever rank I might reasonably attain by that point, still be opportunities for overseas postings? Or would I be too senior at that point. (Sorry, I really don't have a sweet clue how this stuff works).

Thanks!

....or you can consolidate your professional skills, develop and outstanding resume and continue in civilian life as many other spouses do. your professional life will be harder than those who do not move as often, but those who have followed their family have always found ways....mostly though networking.

kratz said:
....or you can consolidate your professional skills, develop and outstanding resume and continue in civilian life as many other spouses do. your professional life will be harder than those who do not move as often, but those who have followed their family have always found ways....mostly though networking.

I wrote several responses to this, but none were suitable. Suffice it to say, thank you for presenting an alternate view, though it doesn't help answer any of my questions.

1.  There will not be any offers for RMS Clerk for BMQ beginning before Oct.  Go ahead and put your application in.  Recruiting can sometimes be flexible with BMQ dates.

2.  If selected, you will receive all the training you require.  If you're still interested in upgrading your education to improve your job performance after, you can request that the CF pay for it.  Focus on your level of physical fitness, and stay busy working, volunteering, etc.

3.  RMS Clk is a large trade, with plenty of room for advancement.  That being said, you will not be guaranteed promotion past the rank of Leading Seaman/Corporal.  As has been covered in other threads, promotion past that rank (in almost all occupations) is competitive and based on merit.  Most with 10 years in are LS/Cpl or MS/MCpl, and a few are PO2/Sgt.  A very few can see PO1/WO in that time frame.

4.  It could well be an option for your career at that point.  Lots of spots for clerks, but also many who want those positions, so as always, no guarantees.

Thanks agc. Good to know. In the end, I may indeed end up staying in the civi-life, but I'd like to at least contemplate this. Thanks again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that although the CF does attempt to co-locate married service couples (i.e. those where both partners are members of the regular force), there are no guarantees by any means.  I have known of few MSCs that have survived long separations.  This doesn't mean they don't exist.  It just means that I can recall more MSCs where the marriages have ultimately failed than those that survived.  I can make a similar observation for members on long term imposed restrictions (i.e. where the member proceeds on posting without the family, for several years) as well.

You may want to consider the Reserve option.  You can still possibly work full time as a Reservist, but if your husband is posted, you can still pack up and move right along with him.  As a Reservist, you cannot be forced to go or stay anywhere you don't want to be and you can quit at any time,  Having said that, there may also be more job opportunities available at the new location as a Reservist as well.

Back