• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fat troops on the street....

being what most of you call a "Fattie", I feel that I cannot bite my words any longer.  yep,  round in the middle( like some farmers) but can run 5k in 26 mins, 10k in just under an hour( not great but not bad either) can do the 13k with 90lbs on my back in less then the required time no problems( do it every sunday, after a 2 hour road bike), and I eat 2200 cals a day, I weigh and measure my food.  When I was in the 031 before( decade ago) my PT sucked, yet in the field, I never held anyone back, always carried alot of S&^%$ for the section. 
I have a mate that used to bug my a** for being a fat &^%$, the day he got stuck under his car and I tilted it enough for him to get out from under it, he stopped.
When training I have more drive than a Pitbull after fresh meat.

So would I fall into the "glutton" and lazy category.

sorry for the rant but I get uppy if I don't have my doguts.

On a serious note, I made an assumption, that all the "fatties" in green, were like me, working hard at improving.  Am I being nieve in thinking this way.

respect
FITSUMO

To me the ability to do the job is more important than how somebody looks physically. The anti-fat attitude is pretty mean spirited a lot of the time and once a individual gets 'out of spec' doing physical activity is often made very unpleasant by the actions of others. As for NDHQ middle aged waist expansion at desk jobs is a fact of north american life and has been that way for a very long time and isn't a recent thing at all. Leslie Groves packed on a few pounds in the 40's basically doing a desk job but he got the job done.

well in the naval reserves, on the ship Im posted to right now. We have a bowflex. No cardio equipment and starting next week Im going to be at sea for 6 weeks. Thats no PT for 6 weeks and to much food. The CF makes it hard for troops in shape to stay in shape. I found a ladder that perfect for chin ups and I will drag the bowflex out from the corner of dankness its in and set it up....and do push ups and Im going to buy a skipping rope but it is still hard.

I dont even know who to complain to about this sigh.....

I WANT TO STAY IN SHAPE BUT APPARENTLY THAT ISNT A CONCERN IN THE NAVY RESERVE

Britney Spears said:
Boy, how did people ever get in shape before they invented "cardio machines" eh? ;D

You bugger  ;D

Have you seen an MCDV- you dont have the space to run around the ship. God- giv me a hamster wheel i dont care but give me something.

Lets get them all out at once, I'm sure we all have our fav:

7 Deadly sins are:

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

The Seven Heavenly Virtues:
faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance, prudence

The Seven Contrary Virtues:
humility, kindness, abstinence, chastity, patience, liberality, diligence

7 Deadly sins are:
Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.
check
check
check, although, really, how much beer does one 'require'?
check. And check!
Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.
check
Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.
nope, good here.
Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.
che... ah, screw it
woo hoo! 6 out of 7!

Oh crap!  I am definitely going to hell!  >:D

Especially when it comes to Lust, Greed and Gluttony.  Those three go so well together don't you think?

Even better when your greedy and/or glutinous for lust!!  ;)

:cdn:

Ahhhh, the pleasure of being a quasi-zen-Buddhist-agnostic... No Sin! Woo Hoo!!! ;D

Back on topic...

I'm not a PT god by any stretch of the imagination (there was a time though.... :warstory:) but being a smoker at XX years old and 20 years of service it is pretty pitiful that I can still out run young troops half my age.

I saw an MP MCpl clearing in to Disney land on the Rideau two weeks ago in CF's and I'll tell you this guy needed an FAC for his brass buttons. The only thing that kept me from telling him to take off his tunic was the glare of the CWO PM beside him when he saw the look on my face. This guy was a disgrace to see in uniform.

Now having gotten that rant off my chest I do not expect everyone in the CF to be Mr. or Mrs Universe. All that is required is that they be able to do their job and conform to the CF's standard of physical fitness.

I know I'm going to get eaten alive for this but until the standard changes the CF Express test is the standard. Do I think it should be a higher standard? Yes, at least for the pointy end. The real REMFS, the ones who never go out into the field/deploy can keep the express test as a basic measure of general health those who can or will end up in the **** should be held to a higher standard. One size never fits all, pardon the pun.

BeadWindow said:
Have you seen an MCDV- you dont have the space to run around the ship. God- giv me a hamster wheel i dont care but give me something.

Hmmm ... I kinda think there are modernised versions of 5BX ...
(i.e. that don't require much in the way of non-human equipment ...)

Heck - I've even read about American PW's in Vietnam/Hanoi Hilton who did 5BX ... but maybe that was only because their captors hadn't embraced the underwhelming "Personnel Support Agency" concept back then ...

bossi said:
Hmmm ... I kinda think there are modernised versions of 5BX ...
(i.e. that don't require much in the way of non-human equipment ...)

Heck - I've even read about American PW's in Vietnam/Hanoi Hilton who did 5BX ... but maybe that was only because their captors hadn't embraced the underwhelming "Personnel Support Agency" concept back then ...

Where can I find info on this 5BX workout?

The 5BX program was developed for the Royal Canadian Air Force by Bill Orban. They stopped using it 25 years ago. Some people say that some of the exercises are outdated and could be harmful - others use it and have no problems at all. In the end the choice is yours whether you take up 5BX.

http://www.statesa.com/gettingfit/5bx.php

"Lets get them all out at once, I'm sure we all have our fav:

7 Deadly sins are:

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work."

6 out of 7 for the above also.

"The Seven Heavenly Virtues:
faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance, prudence

The Seven Contrary Virtues:
humility, kindness, abstinence, chastity, patience, liberality, diligence "

and for these, oohhh crap I have alot of work ahead.

This thread caught my eye, it is a problem in our Army.  I had an American S/Sgt. approach me when I was overseas once and asked me "I've noticed you guys have an awful lot of fat people in your Army? Is that common or what?"  I was rather embarrased because he was right and it made me realize that our allies take note of things like this.  Out of all the nations we worked closely with, ie the Germans, Norwegians, Slovenians, Hungarians and Americans, none of their troops were fat, but you didn't have a far hike to go to find a fat Canadian. As for that little "if time permits" loophole, thats a load of crap.  If your unit can't make time for you to do PT (Every combat arms unit finds the time each day) then for petes sake, put the fork down and wake up a little earlier and do PT on your own time or do it after work!  We get paid good money to do our job and a significant part of that is being in good physical shape.  I'm not saying by any means that all our soldiers have to be in Ironman shape, but there's no reason or excuse for somebody to be 40+ pounds overweight.Each soldier has a commitment to physical fitness and it should be enforced.

Fitness is 'Politically Incorrect' in today's DND.  It interferes with the long term goal of 'Inclusiveness of Command' (cool phrase, eh?  I just made that up)..  Not to mention the bad old days of the BMI Inquistion, and a certain - IIRC - CDS saying "Give me two years, and you won't see any overweight people in uniform" or words to that effect.

If we seriously want our basic fitness level to apply to ALL members of the CF, we need merely insert a PO 400 - being the express test - into the Training Plan of EVERY course in the CF.  Then put out a CANFORGEN saying all must pass this test the morning of Day 1 of the crse, or RTU at the unit's expense. Just like Basic Para.  No waivers.

Note that an MO can declare you 'fit for training', but he CANNOT put you on course.  An MO is an advisor.  Advisors advise, COMMANDERs command.

So, once everyone has to pass PO 400 before receiving ANY course training, we effectively freeze the careers of those chronically unable to lead others under operational conditions as well as censuring those who would otherwise be placed in positions where their appearance and deportment is expected to set an example.

Once it becomes clear that there is NO way around this, the target audience will either meet the standard, or self-select out of the stream. 

Comments?

Tom

Tom

Good intentions.

I've seen people in many Purple trades who were grossly overweight.  You may run into one at the front gate of Edmonton Garrison.  I've seen them so large that special tailoring had to be done to fit them with uniforms.  Be they MPs or Cooks or whatever.  To bring about your plan, you would have to go to the Head, and the Head is in Ottawa.  Next time you are down that way, relax with a coffee in the Rideau Centre overlooking the Puzzle Palace and take a survey.  Need I say any more.  :-[

Back