• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Expedient Beer Coolers...

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Given the lack of fridges in most shacks... what have YOU packed with ice for use as an expedient beer cooler?

-Barrack Box (A standard)
-Mop Bucket (Washed and well rinsed of course)
-Wash Basin (Packed with ice to bring down the swelling in my foot... my roommates saw this as an excellent opportunity to cool their beer)
-Wading Pool

trippled up garbage bags full of ice hold a metric shitload of beer cans.

Isn't that about three arse-loads in imperial?

Yup, just slightly more than two hockey socks full.  The bonus is, when the ice melts, it makes an atomic water bomb.

Just a Sig Op said:
Given the lack of fridges in most shacks... what have YOU packed with ice for use as an expedient beer cooler?

-Wash Basin (Packed with ice to bring down the swelling in my foot... my roommates saw this as an excellent opportunity to cool their beer)
-Wading Pool

I remember being there for two of those...in FACT;

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0534-1.jpg

On my Water Supply Course we would put them in the window.

Toilet tank (toilet no longer attached, cold water still there).  ;D

Actually, now that I think about it... DID we rinse the mop bucket? I remember there being quite a rush to use it...

Just a Sig Op said:
Actually, now that I think about it... DID we rinse the mop bucket? I remember there being quite a rush to use it...

I'm not sure...I know we filled it with cold water and threw it at someone who was having a shower...

Not exactly an "in the shacks" solution, but definitely not official use;

Hay Boxes.

We were trying to figure out where to get large basins to fill with ice and beer for the bar at New Years last year and the RQ mentioned that he had a bunch of hay boxes...  They work great, particularly because they're insulated.   ;D

n510832331_263378_3606.jpg

They're designed to keep hot things hot an cold things cold, seems reasonable to me!

the old galvanized wash bins we used in the field to do dishies in. 2'x2'x1'

The Armour Corps, year round expedient Beer Cooler has for years been the Water Jerry Can strapped to the back of the vehicle filled with Canned Beer and Ice (No need for ice in the Winter).

I have visions of a crew standing around a coleman stove, both burners going full blast, holding a frozen jerry as close to the flames as they can without melting it, trying to thaw their beer loose :)

A bath tub with water and ice can hold more beer then you could imagine.....

241 said:

Perhaps you should have read the first post...

Just a Sig Op said:

-Wading Pool

241 said:

Just don`t let Cpl (Now WO) Jones into the 'can'.  He`ll take up a relaxed position in the tub and sit there, merrily drinking to his hearts content.  Don't ask about the colour of the water in an hour.   ;)

For those days out in the boat, the Laundry Bag makes a nice anchor cooler when filled with beer cans.  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
Perhaps you should have read the first post...

There are bathtubs in just about every shack I have been in, one or two per floor, hell I have used at least one in just about every shack for this specific purpose.....

241 said:
There are bathtubs in just about every shack I have been in, one or two per floor, hell I have used at least one in just about every shack for this specific purpose.....

Which?  The cooling the beer part or the chilling with the beer part?

Back