• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

exercises to burn fat in a targeted area

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Lithium]

Inactive
Reaction score
My apologies if this is in the wrong place, but wasn't sure where else to put this.

I am a big guy. I am about 6' 3" (not exact, but close) and weigh 213 pounds as of this morning. I was curious as to any specific training plans people out there had for burning fat in the abdominal area, or if there was just any specific exercises that work to target that area.

Any help in this area would be much appreciated, as I want to be fit when I become old enough to join the reserves. Thank you.

One specific excercise you can do is actually considered an "iso-linear" because it targets a specific muscle group.... It's called a crunch! You know, sit on your butt, lay down and then flex your stomach and RAISE your chest to your knees! That will do it, that and running/cardio to simply burn calories from your body...

If you're that tall though, that weight doesn't sound bad actually. You'll want some meat on you, not a lot but some and if you have that big of a frame you'd probably want to keep the weight you have, just tone up. If you're still that young (not even old enough to join) you probably will tone up as you get older and your muscles grow more. Probably still a lot of "baby" fat left on you. Puberty does wonders over time sometimes... :p

Goodluck

PS> You can join at 16 just so you know

Cardio cardio cardio is the only thing that will burn fat, and of course diet. So push away from the buffet. ;)Do a search read the training forum. ;D

I've been reading learning about fitness and health for years now, and I have always read that there is no such thing as target fat melting.  You have to burn calories plain and simple, and your body will decide where it comes from.
Cheers

[Lithium] said:
I was curious as to any specific training plans people out there had for burning fat in the abdominal area
impossible. Proper diet and exercise will burn fat across your entire body.

or if there was just any specific exercises that work to target that area
many. This forum is full of them. The ones at the top of the forum with blue thumb tack icons are a good place to start. So is the Search function.

Curiosity sated?

If you are really looking to target a certain area the only way to do that is to build muscle in that area.  As mentioned, no such thing as target work-outs to burn fat.  But you can certainly do target work-outs to build muscle.

You can Not Isolate one area to Burn fat, In order to loose fat you must Loose it everywhere, only thing that will achieve this is Cardio and a good Diet.

R031 Pte Joe said:
One specific excercise you can do is actually considered an "iso-linear" because it targets a specific muscle group.... It's called a crunch! You know, sit on your butt, lay down and then flex your stomach and RAISE your chest to your knees! That will do it, that and running/cardio to simply burn calories from your body...

If you're that tall though, that weight doesn't sound bad actually. You'll want some meat on you, not a lot but some and if you have that big of a frame you'd probably want to keep the weight you have, just tone up. If you're still that young (not even old enough to join) you probably will tone up as you get older and your muscles grow more. Probably still a lot of "baby" fat left on you. Puberty does wonders over time sometimes... :p

Goodluck

PS> You can join at 16 just so you know

Thank you for the advice :) Also,I am 15 and am turning 16 in Decembrer. With my extra weight, its just fat, plain and simple. Thank you everyone who posted for their advice on this topic, it is much appreciated

I have to agree with *CDN*Blackhawk,  one burns fat all over the body.  Unfortunately the gut is usually the last place to loose it.  I have several friends who have has excellent results on this program called Body for life.  http://www.bodyforlife.com  I'm sure any library has the book. The program is 12 weeks - if you're just starting I'm sure you'll have time to finish it before you start boot camp.  I'd suggest doing jogging for your cardio,  build up slowly though, ie run 5 minutes one week then 10 minutes for the next and so forth - Just so you don't stress your IT band. (read up on that)  When you go into boot camp you should be able to run 5 km so problem,  start building up to it - slowly. I don't know where your body is physically, so don't hurt yourself, follow common sense.  (you can build up your distance and loose that unwanted weight,  a two for 1 deal)

I am underweight myself,  but I'm still following my own advice. 

The best description I've heard is that fat comes off "in layers" kind of like an onion, so as per the others, you cannot target one region over another.

RE:  Losing Fat across your entire body - Strength Training and Interval Training in my opinion end up burning more fat that cardio in the long run, but that's not a universal opinion by any means.

Matthew.  :salute:

Zell and paracowboy,

Thank you for the links, as Ive said before the help is much appreciated

Like others have said you can't spot reduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back