• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineering Officer Eligibility

Potato

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm finishing my Mechanical Engineering diploma this December at NAIT, Edmonton, and I'm thinking of going into Engineering Management or Bachelor afterwards. Few questions on becoming an Aerospace Engineering Officer:

1. For direct entry, how do I get Force Canada to evaluate whether my program fits this position's criteria? Do I apply first for a "quote"?

2. For paid education, is going to RMC a must or does any other university works? Do I get to pick?

3. If I'm going to RMC, what is the requirements for mechanical/aeronautical engineering program? I cannot find it on the website: https://www.rmc-cmr.ca/en/registrars-office/admissions

Thank you!

Potato, by "Force Canada" I assume you mean the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Entry standards can be found on the Forces.ca website. If you apply, you will take the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT)... I highly recommend studying.

If you are wanting to apply for subsidized university education, then it is the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) that you should be looking at (see below link). For the past two years, subsidized education at Civilian Universities has not been available, so RMC is the only option for ROTP. Just so you are aware, Aerospace Engineer is one of the most competitive trades for ROTP, for whatever reason, so you may want to consider other occupations as well.

Conversely, you could go to university on your own and apply to the Primarys Reserves (PRes), who offer part-time employment during the school year, full-time summer employment, and up to $2000/year in tuition reimbursement.

To apply as a Direct Entry Officer, you need to already hold a relevant degree.

https://www.rmc-cmr.ca/en/registrars-office/regular-officer-training-plan-rotp

Hi winds_13,

Yes I've tried the practise CFAT. For direct entry, do you mean going to an university on my own makes only me eligible for Reserves?

And does direct entry just reviews what uni and program you're in and accepts you automatically, or do they also requires interview to assess you?

Thank you for all the explanation!

Potato, "Direct Entry Officer" (DEO) is an officer entry plan. It is for CAF applicants, to either the Regular Force (RegF) or Primary Reserve (PRes), who already hold the required degree for the officer occupations that they are applying for. It is the opposite of a subsidized education program.

For example, if you already had a Bachelor's of Engineering, you could apply as a DEO Aerospace Engineering (AERE) Officer.

However, it is also possible to apply as an officer in the PRes through the "Reserve Entry Scheme - Officers" (RESO program) if you are enrolled in a relevant bachelor's program (see below link for more info). It is not a subsidized education plan but would certainly help to pay for school while providing training and experience.

Regardless of what entry plan you apply for, there are several steps to the application process (initial application, CFAT, Medical, Interview, Background Checks, etc.). Refer to the "How to Join" section on the Forces.ca website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/defence-administrative-orders-directives/5000-series/5002/5002-8-reserve-entry-scheme-officers.html

Back