• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EME vs. MSE

Anthony5

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been working on this issue for awhile, trying to find relevant posts on this site. It doesn't seem to be working so I figured I'd post.

I recently graduated with a degree in Applied Science in Mechatronics Engineering (for anyone looking for an explanation of this see here:
http://www.mme.uwaterloo.ca/undergrad/mechatronics/home.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

Suffice to say, I believe it qualifies for all engineering occupations in the CF. At least for the two I'm discussing now).

So, not being very interested in the opportunities civilian occupations had to offer (as well as the good training and pay the military had to offer), I applied for Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Officer, it being the closest to my field. Went through the application process and recently (today) found out that EME was full this year, and I'd have to re-apply for next year (March) if I wanted to try for it. They suggested that the Navy Engineering fields (Marine Systems and Naval Combat Systems) were still open, and I could apply for those.

While these fields interest me (particularly Marine Systems) I had some concerns about applying for them. In particular,

How much more time away is there in the Navy vs. the Army (particularly the two trades I mentioned)? I understand the military involves time away, and is a lifestyle choice. But I'm concerned that that means forgetting everyone I have now. I have a girlfriend, and while she's willing to move wherever I'm posted, I worry about having to leave her for several months at a time if I were in the Navy.

Perhaps my fears are unfounded, but I scoured this website and found suggestions of being away on a ship for 6-8 months at a time (I understand this is expected in terms of "deployment", but the way it was presented seemed to indicate it would be every year).

I also wonder about what people think of life at sea, the lack of personal space, etc. I figure I can deal with these things, but they're on my mind.

Anyway, if anyone can offer an opinion of Navy vs. Army, I would be appreciative (though please preface your post with any biases you may have, so I can take those into consideration).

Thanks for your time.

Anthony5 said:
How much more time away is there in the Navy vs. the Army (particularly the two trades I mentioned)?

Perhaps my fears are unfounded, but I scoured this website and found suggestions of being away on a ship for 6-8 months at a time (I understand this is expected in terms of "deployment", but the way it was presented seemed to indicate it would be every year).

I also wonder about what people think of life at sea, the lack of personal space, etc. I figure I can deal with these things, but they're on my mind.

Anyway, if anyone can offer an opinion of Navy vs. Army, I would be appreciative (though please preface your post with any biases you may have, so I can take those into consideration).

Thanks for your time.

Well I can't speak to EME, but I can tell you a little bit about MSE from my limited experience.

First of all, realize that Naval Engineers have just about the least sea time of any trade in the Navy. Most likely I will never spend more than 4 years posted to a ship, and if I get ONE six moth deployment in that time I will consider myself lucky, as there are a lot more people than there are ships, especially with FELEX coming up over the next few years. Also, when you choose your posting to a ship, you will generally know whether or not that ship will be deployed during the time you will be on it, so if you want to you can request a low readiness ship that will be alongside the whole time, I know of a few that plan to do that.

In my opinion though, going to sea is a lot of fun, and you should take every chance you get, it is a totally different lifestyle, and how much you enjoy it depends on numerable things, how easily you get seasick being a big one. Maybe I'm biased somewhat because I was raised around boats, but I love being on the water, and I couldn't imagine not doing it.

As far as Army vice Navy, a big difference will be what postings you can get, if you go Navy you will obviously spend a lot of time in either Victoria or Halifax, but Army will have a broader spectrum of possible postings away from the coasts. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but I can't speak to what I don't know.

Hope that gives you a little bit of perspective from the Navy side, but feel free to ask if you want to know more.

In terms of being away from home, I would argue that the Navy doesn't spend anymore time away than the Army.  The difference is that the Army goes to the field and sleeps on the ground, while the navy goes to sea and sleeps in a real bed (albeit one that moves occasionally) with real sheets.  There has been a lot said about six month deployments in ships.  Yes, they do exist, but on a considerably less frequent basis than the Army.  We generally only have one ship at a time away for six months and a ship only has about one tenth the number of people currently in Afghanistan.  As MSEng314 said, if y get one six month deployment in all your time at sea, consider yourself lucky.  Many get none.  Antoher thing to think of in the family sense is that when you are away, your family will likely be in Halifax or Victoria, two relatively large and interesting places to live and work.  If you were EME and posted to Shilo, your family may be even less thrilled about staying behind during your third tour in whatever hell hole we'll be fighing in once you get qualified.  Still another thing is that when you wear a Navy uniform in either the Naval Operations Branch (which includes the MSE and CSE folks) or Logistics, you tend to spend your entire career in Victoria, Halifax or Ottawa, which means you move a lot less.  This in turn means a little more stability for the family.  Finally, port visits to some of the most interesing cities in teh world can be a real morale boost.

Before anyone starts throwing buns about how soft the Navy has it, let me tell you about Force 10 in the North Atlantic.  It will definitely knock over your sherry glass. ;D

Pussar,
        Force 10. Ok i'm game. Don't drink Sherry though. So amaze me.
I love to hear good Navy story's. My Dad served on the St Catherine
(corvette) ww2 North Atlantic Squadron (sub hunter). Ready Aye Ready.
Scoty B (salute)
P.S. My avatar's don't work, go figuire.

Ever see in the movies where ships ride down the crest of a wave like a surfer?  That happens for real.  Force 10 means watching the inclinometer (the thing that looks like a spirit level and measures how far the ship heels) on the bridge stop, but the ship keeps heeling over.  It means standing on the pilotage and staring at a wall of water because the ship is heeling over that far.  It means ducking under the front of the pilotage as the greenie (huge mother of a wave and always cold) comes crashing over the bow.  It means having only sandwiches to eat because the galley is too dangerous to cook.  It means flying across the wardroom when the furniture breaks free.  It's better than a roller coaster and you get paid to be there!

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go ahead with this. My new interview is tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next NOAB.

Edit:

Pusser said:
Ever see in the movies where ships ride down the crest of a wave like a surfer?  That happens for real.  Force 10 means watching the inclinometer (the thing that looks like a spirit level and measures how far the ship heels) on the bridge stop, but the ship keeps heeling over.  It means standing on the pilotage and staring at a wall of water because the ship is heeling over that far.  It means ducking under the front of the pilotage as the greenie (huge mother of a wave and always cold) comes crashing over the bow.  It means having only sandwiches to eat because the galley is too dangerous to cook.  It means flying across the wardroom when the furniture breaks free.  It's better than a roller coaster and you get paid to be there!

Also, I found a youtube video that shows something like this here. The waves get quite large at about the 4 minute mark. One of the comments (as reliable as comments on youtube are) mentioned that this was the MV Dallington, which would make it comparable in size to the HMCS Iroquois or HMCS Halifax (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Back