• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Electronic-Optronic Technician ( EO Tech )

keaner

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting back into the Reserves. While I was in the Regs I was an FCS tech and there were no positions for the Reserves but I understand there are now EO Tech Reserve positions. Has anyone any info on this? How do I find which Units support this trade?

Thanks

Thanks...tried that. The Unit said, "We don't have any positions for you, but we'd be glad to have you. Stop us having to backload equipment all the time." I'm not sure if that's going to be ggod or not.

No positions available maybe mean just that but you may have skills or qualifications they are interested in. If electrical/electronic work is your forte then try researching LCIS Tech (Land Communications and Information Systems Technician) or ED Tech (Electrical Distribution Technician). Hope that helps, Cheers.

I was talking to the recruiter and he said he knew an EO Tech that had been on many tours in the passed 4 years and I was wondering how often EO Techs are deployed and what kind of job taskings do they have overseas? Are they attached to units for mainentance during patrols and operations, etc.. ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Patrick H. said:
No positions available maybe mean just that but you may have skills or qualifications they are interested in. If electrical/electronic work is your forte then try researching LCIS Tech (Land Communications and Information Systems Technician) or ED Tech (Electrical Distribution Technician). Hope that helps, Cheers.

LCIS is no longer open in the reserves. There are only a couple of units in the Res that have spots on the establishment for them, and those are full up.

...go ref force again EO has a nice signing bonus now I hear

A signing bonus would be nice....but Reg force again will never happen commitments being what they are. I'm hoping to spend a good long time in the Reserves but I need to be honest with myself. If I can't find a local unit that has a position for which I am qualified (TQ5, JLC/JNCO MCpl FCS) - and so far, no luck - then I'll have to start a new trade. I'm not opposed to that....what worries me is starting at the bottom without the ability to take the time from work to get the courses I need to advance. Would I be happy never progressing beyond Pte.? For awhile maybe......but for how long? So, then I must ask if it is worth the effort at all.

EO - formerly FCS - are attached to almost every land unit in the CF...chances are you will go on tours. The job taskings are much the same as field taskings they do on ex now....fix things, guard duty, rear area security, etc.

Alright, good to know.

Are they attached to convoys and such, for maintenance while outside the wire?

Any idea if this is similar for LCIS Techs? I was told that they can be attached to any unit - Similar taskings then?

I got out a few years ago and was an FCS tech...I can't speak for LCIS. As an FCS tech, if you are with a first line unit you will follow the troops around...you are their support, remember? You may do your repairs in biv or on site depending on the equipment and/or situation.

An FCS Tech on this site by the name of CombatBuddha just got back from Afghanistan......fire him a PM.

Thanks for your replies and your recommendation, Bloggins. I can't wait to get started. I will send the PM momentarily then.

Thanks again, Cheers :cheers:

Patrick

All troops on tour are soldiers first and trades pers second. Even the sigs weinies

I think it may be time for the branch to think outside the box a bit.
The possibility of the reserves employing a retired reg force EO (FCS) tech would make sense. one would think that there would be no problem establishing a trade for already QL5 qualified technicians, as most equipment is taught up to that level. Specialty courses would be an issue, but as only reg force units have this equipment, it shouldn't be an overwhelming problem. This would pull some of our dog f*ers out of reserve postings so that they can help out and deploy, Heck, they could even be hired as incremental staff at CFSEME.
It's lonely outside the box

I believe there is a possability for retired qualified FCS (EO) Techs to find positions in a reserve unit. They are probably only available in the Res Svc Bn.

You will need to do most if not all of the leg work for getting acceptance in this position as there are no Res EO Tech positions in the CF for the purposes of pay and manning level tracking it will be a tricky fit.

The prospect of raising the position of EO Tech into the Reserves has been brought up to the career manager and the word is that it is not going to happen. It is hard enough getting the trade back to fully functional now what with GDLS and Callian head hunting like crazy in the trade. There isn't the resourses available to form a seperate streem for the Reserves.

Essentially, if you are a retired, "FULLY QUALIFIED" FCS Tech you should go to your nearest Reserve Svc Bn and see what you can work out.

I place emphasis of the "FULLY QUALIFIED" criteria because I am sure there are some former members of the trade who released before they finished thier QL5s. These people are not qualified to be employed as an EO Tech in the reserves. You will only cause uneeded paperwork and admin time only for them to say NO.

It has been tried within the past six months and the ex EO tech got no where.
The CF/ Army/ Branch has to recognize this from the National, not local level.
I asked the CM in November and basically got a "not a snowballs chance in hell" answer. But this shouldn't kep us from trying.

There maybe a way, you were qualified at Regimental Coy as EME Common so the Svc Bn may be willing to recruit you against a vacant P Res Wpns or Veh Tech posn. It is possible. I heard that the Svc Bn RSM in Halifax is only qualified QL 1 Veh tech but is a retired  FCS CWO.  Depends on the Unit but you may have problems getting tool boxes as they won't have established TO&E for FCS posns.  Might get the nearest B Maint to 'loan you one if they have a spare .Good luck and keep us updated  of your results. We need soldiers like you in the reserve Svc Bn and units. 

An easy way to sum it up, is if combat arms soldiers are going somewhere, then an EO (aka an FCS Tech) will be there as well. After all, we fix the equipment that tells them where thier rounds are SUPOSSED to fall!!

I'm still lookinf into this. I have written a brief note to be passed up to our trade advisor, and hopefully it may get some positive response. I just have to get my local CoC on my side.

It's easy for an EO Tech to get a tour, especially if you posted to an operational unit within a Brigade. Nomally we are hurtin for techs to go overseas as alot of us "old times" are feeling the effects of age and some guys have forgotten what our job is really about...Repair war fighting equipment so that the mission can continue to be accompished.
I'd love to deploy again because no two tours I've been on have been the same. BUT it looks like I'm going to the school to instruct. Lord help us all.. >:D

combatbuddha said:
It's easy for an EO Tech to get a tour, especially if you posted to an operational unit within a Brigade. Nomally we are hurtin for techs to go overseas as alot of us "old times" are feeling the effects of age and some guys have forgotten what our job is really about...Repair war fighting equipment so that the mission can continue to be accompished.
I'd love to deploy again because no two tours I've been on have been the same. BUT it looks like I'm going to the school to instruct. Lord help us all.. >:D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :argument:

Back