• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drop Leg Holster

Bails

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone recall the model of drop leg holster they were issuing in Afghanistan in 2011/12?

I really liked it at the time and would like to get one but I can't remember the make or model.

Help?

I bought a Safariland 6004 from a police supply shop in Toronto (not the company in the following link) in 2007, based upon recommendations by a couple of trusted people: https://www.opticsplanet.com/safariland-6004-sls-tactical-holster-stx-fde-brown-left-hand-6004-376-552.html. I saw a few others wearing them, including our current CDS and his sergeant-major, but do not know if any of those were issued or personally purchased.

There were a mix of Safariland 6004 and Blackhawk! Serpa II being used in Afghanistan and elsewhere during that period and both were originally designed for use with the 1911 frame pistols.  The 6004 is a damned good holster, except you can't carry with a round in the chamber and cocked because the Self Locking System rotating hood won't clear the hammer.  You can notch the hood with a knife to make it fit.  The Blackhawk is also pretty good but not as secure as the 6004.  One big advantage is that you can carry cocked with the Blackhawk because there was nothing obstructing the hammer.

All that being said, if you can remember if the hammer was covered or not, that will tell you what model you're looking for.

There were a number of NDs, sometimes with associated leg injury, reported on Lightfighter due to the retention method of the Serpa holster, along with reports of a number of ranges that had banned use of that holster as a result. There is/was a Tex Grebner (I can't remember his channel name) video on Youtube where he attempts to draw from his Serpa and shoots himself in the leg.

I notched the rotating strap on my Safariland holster (as recommended by Kevin B) and it worked fine. I also removed the lower leg strap (as also recommended by Kevin B).

Loachman said:
There were a number of NDs, sometimes with associated leg injury, reported on Lightfighter due to the retention method of the Serpa holster, along with reports of a number of ranges that had banned use of that holster as a result.

The SERPA is banned from most shooting clubs in Canada because, unless you train extensively with it, your finger will fall onto the trigger while drawing.  This is a great concern on civilian ranges as many newer pistols don't have external safties.  With the Browning HP, if one didn't carry with the thumb safety engaged, it could be a huge concern.  Most non Cbt A, MP, CANSOF etc. pistol "users" in the CAF don't train extensively with the pistol and certainly don't practise drawing to point/shoot.  It might help if the CAF issued a decent holster, which is why bulk buys were made of the 6004, SERPA and other lesser quality holsters as an operational requirement to replace the old 64 pattern flap or Bianchi flap holster...  but that's for another thread.

Loachman said:
I notched the rotating strap on my Safariland holster (as recommended by Kevin B) and it worked fine. I also removed the lower leg strap (as also recommended by Kevin B).

That's exactly the workaround I referred to.  Make no mistake, though, for the reasons I noted above, there were NDs with the Safariland as well.

You guys trusted the Browning HP enough to carry it readied? Yikes.

PuckChaser said:
You guys trusted the Browning HP enough to carry it readied? Yikes.

In-theatre, yes, clearing-loading-readying multiple times a day....even with those crappy ‘Bianchi’ holsters we had in the mid-2000s.  I did relent  mid-tour (05-06) and got a Safariland (in addition to a Fobus paddle-holster for ‘discrete office work’), modifying the trigger guard as Loachman did, per KevinB’s recommendation.

I lucked out on tour, getting an 8L series BHP that must have just been brought into circulation from warstock...nice weapon...blueing looked pristine, barrel dint rattle around....reminded me of why the BHP was (one of) the SAS’ pistols for a while.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
In-theatre, yes, clearing-loading-readying multiple times a day....even with those crappy ‘Bianchi’ holsters we had in the mid-2000s.  I did relent  mid-tour (05-06) and got a Safariland (in addition to a Fobus paddle-holster for ‘discrete office work’), modifying the trigger guard as Loachman did, per KevinB’s recommendation.

I lucked out on tour, getting an 8L series BHP that must have just been brought into circulation from warstock...nice weapon...blueing looked pristine, barrel dint rattle around....reminded me of why the BHP was (one of) the SAS’ pistols for a while.

Regards
G2G

The first BHP I got issued at me first unit was a 1944 Inglis. I cut it out of the plastic bag when the Quartermaster handed to me. It had never been issued before I got it. It was a very tight gun and shot really well.

Back