• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do cooks get free food?!

ArmyVern said:
Glad that I'm a suppie ...

I have food, trucks, trailors, generators, bug spray, batteries, multiple budgets, toilet paper, guns ... AND

ammo.

;D

Yeah, yeah, well, well........... I got SWATs!!!!!

A close friend of mine (who is married to a military cook) told me just last week the the kitchen staff were very recently told in an O Gp/briefing that they were losing the 'discount' on their meals. 

On base, taxes are paid on rations eaten during your work shift (two meals whether its early shift/straight shift or late shift. Full amount paid for meals not during your shift (if paying rations).
Cui said:
A bit of a derail here, but how do the meal cards system work in the CF?

It's just like a debit card, you load money into it once in a while, like the ones university students have. Or does it keep track of your purchases and takes it derectly out of your pay?

I've never seen a CF personnel pay cash in mess halls, it's always been cards. I just wondered how those things work.

As well do you just get issued one meal card, or do you get a new one for every new base you get posted to?

Thanks  :)

The individual reloadable cards you can put money on are sadly not on every base, wish they were.

Other cards are issued to those paying rations.

Sometimes there will be one card used for a whole course with a list of names to check off, I'm sure someone could elaborate.

Get Nautical said:
Sometimes there will be one card used for a whole course with a list of names to check off, I'm sure someone could elaborate.

Heh on our brigade exercises, there is one card that pays for the entire brigade group.

/end derailment

fraserdw said:
Yeah, yeah, well, well........... I got SWATs!!!!!

Well, if it's any consolation , I did dine at Fort Frontenac for lunch last week ... and it cost me.  8)

The upcoming Ex in Pet will not charge me for food however.  :-X

I'm still blown away at the prices of food in Canadian kitchens compared to the US.

Cooks have a pretty thankless job. Luckily for them they never go hungry and don't work in the rain  :nod:

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm still blown away at the prices of food in Canadian kitchens compared to the US.

Cooks have a pretty thankless job. Luckily for them they never go hungry and don't work in the rain  :nod:

Never eaten from a flying kitchen? When it rains on us, it's raining on them, but the food is still always hot, plentiful and tasty.

recceguy said:
Never eaten from a flying kitchen? When it rains on us, it's raining on them, but the food is still always hot, plentiful and tasty.

They're still under the cover of the flying kitchen, and if a little rain does sneak through their still warm with lots of food around  ;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
They're still under the cover of the flying kitchen, and if a little rain does sneak through their still warm with lots of food around  ;D

Not every part of the meal is prepared up in back :nod:

Back