• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

You could list a pile of things that could be better used on training. I’m pretty sure the QOR’s trip to London had zero effect on training or the money earmarked for it. Trips and conferences for a minuscule few are not the issue.

Flight to London is around 1 k each, let’s throw 600 for three nights hotel, add in TD / Incidentals and we hit 3k pretty fast. That goes a long way in busing your troops to a training area / paying course TD / ect

It’s not like they meet royalty every three years. I’d be curious how many times that unit has sent anyone to London in say, the last 50 years or so to meet their Col in Chief. I bet it’s pretty minimal.
A quick browse shoes a trip to the Nethlands for a battle field tour, and them swearing in a new HCol, why you need a Col in Chief and an HCol I do not know.

Unlike, for example, Vimy Ridge 2017 where the Reg F members were looked after but reservists in attendance had to pay their own way I believe?

I know one HCol, for example, who paid out of own pocket so that about 20 all ranks from his PRes unit could fly over and attend.
My unit paid out of pocket in 2018 for members to attend the 100th anniversary parade in mons Belgium, Black watch did the same, the reg force on the other hand.....

Flight to London is around 1 k each, let’s throw 600 for three nights hotel, add in TD / Incidentals and we hit 3k pretty fast. That goes a long way in busing your troops to a training area / paying course TD / ect

A quick browse shoes a trip to the Nethlands for a battle field tour, and them swearing in a new HCol, why you need a Col in Chief and an HCol I do not know.
And do we know if that came from public funds? As mentioned associations and benefactors often foot the bill for those sorts of things.

And as I mentioned, I doubt any busses for training were cancelled for this event. The issue is not these sorts of things. Going or not going is not making things worse nor is it making it better.

That isn’t exclusive to the reserve world.
I never said it was.

New paper, with yet another opinion on what to do with the reserves
.https://www.cgai.ca/rebuilding_the_reserve_force?twclid=2-1epqx1dccf07rt4vofgc9cbu6

And do we know if that came from public funds? As mentioned associations and benefactors often foot the bill for those sorts of things.

TD will always be from public funds, as will wages. I’ll buy the flight.

And as I mentioned, I doubt any busses for training were cancelled for this event. The issue is not these sorts of things. Going or not going is not making things worse nor is it making it better.

Not cancelled but affected ? Eh

My unit paid out of pocket in 2018 for members to attend the 100th anniversary parade in mons Belgium, Black watch did the same, the reg force on the other hand.....

Like people paid to fly over themselves ? Personally for an optional parade I have no issue with it not being paid for. Like I said we just sent guys that were in Europe anyways.

I never said it was.
Fair enough. It’s part of our system though for better or worse.
TD will always be from public funds, as will wages. I’ll buy the flight.
Sure. All those reg force types that were there would have had TD and accommodations paid for the same way though no?
Not cancelled but affected ? Eh
Not even
Like people paid to fly over themselves ? Personally for an optional parade I have no issue with it not being paid for. Like I said we just sent guys that were in Europe anyways.
And they also would have had TD, transport etc paid for. If I recall the central band and a few other reg Force bands were sent over from Canada were they not?

Fair enough. It’s part of our system though for better or worse.

Sure. All those reg force types that were there would have had TD and accommodations paid for the same way though no?

Not even

And they also would have had TD, transport etc paid for. If I recall the central band and a few other reg Force bands were sent over from Canada were they not?
I have no idea, it was 5 years ago. I don’t know why it’s super relevant to be honest. I actually think this whole conversation is more of a point at my other comment, quoting an article, about the problems with seeing both entities as separate. Since the very first response was “what about 5 years ago when there was something that made me feel slighted.”

For the record. I would cut every reg Force band from the CAF. Actually most reserve bands as well. That should free up enough PYs for an AD regiment.

I have no idea, it was 5 years ago. I don’t know why it’s super relevant to be honest. I actually think this whole conversation is more of a point at my other comment, quoting an article, about the problems with seeing both entities as separate. Since the very first response was “what about 5 years ago when there was something that made me feel slighted.”

For the record. I would cut every reg Force band from the CAF. Actually most reserve bands as well. That should free up enough PYs for an AD regiment.
Nope.

The Reg F bands combined might give you a company.

The Army writ large needs to do better capability management, across full time and part time service. And better time management; Reg F time is far too often subject to the sunk cost fallacy, and thus is not valued as it should be. Res F time is too often viewed through the opposite lens and unreasonable expectations of outputs per paid time are introduced.

Nope.

The Reg F bands combined might give you a company.

I’ll do some research on this lol, I’m pretty sure an AD battery is pretty small PY wise.

The Army writ large needs to do better capability management, across full time and part time service. And better time management; Reg F time is far too often subject to the sunk cost fallacy, and thus is not valued as it should be. Res F time is too often viewed through the opposite lens and unreasonable expectations of outputs per paid time are introduced.

Agreed.

No clue. Someone upthread was connecting those things to training issues. It isn’t really relevant agreed.
Bands we’re already cut a while ago. I think there may be one or two bands per CBG if that. There might be what? Four Reg force bands? I think the reconstitution order indicated all bands to look at efficiencies. And yes I agree with you on that. But I doubt it generates any real results by cutting them.

If you can’t fill what you currently have (units, ships etc), cutting a band isn’t going to achieve that. Rather I would reroll most bands and give them either secondary or primary military tasks and music being one of their capabilities. Central band could be rerolled as that new aviator trade, navy band as bosuns or what not etc.

Reserve bands are primarily attached to infantry units so make them all driver qualified and maybe give them a CSS role. Basically give them a role that supports actual element core functions but they can also do the music thing as needed.

No clue. Someone upthread was connecting those things to training issues. It isn’t really relevant agreed.

Bands we’re already cut a while ago. I think there may be one or two bands per CBG if that. There might be what? Four Reg force bands? I think the reconstitution order indicated all bands to look at efficiencies. And yes I agree with you on that. But I doubt it generates any real results by cutting them.

If you can’t fill what you currently have (units, ships etc), cutting a band isn’t going to achieve that. Rather I would reroll most bands and give them either secondary or primary military tasks and music being one of their capabilities. Central band could be rerolled as that new aviator trade, navy band as bosuns or what not etc.

Reserve bands are primarily attached to infantry units so make them all driver qualified and maybe give them a CSS role. Basically give them a role that supports actual element core functions but they can also do the music thing as needed.
The British Army traditionally has the pipe band double hatted as the Bn’s MG platoon. Just saying.

I know there’s like four regular force bands, I just can’t think of why we need PYs devoted to it in this day and age. Actually one band is already RCA badged so just keep them and being in re rolling to AD.

I think in general we have PYs that need to be shifted to make a more efficient structure.

The British Army traditionally has the pipe band double hatted as the Bn’s MG platoon. Just saying.
Exactly the sort of thing we should be doing.
I know there’s like four regular force bands, I just can’t think of why we need PYs devoted to it in this day and age. Actually one band is already RCA badged so just keep them and being in re rolling to AD.
I’m just not sure that the current musicians or musicians that get recruited would be apt for any real combat arms tasks. CSS type stuff I could see.
I think in general we have PYs that need to be shifted to make a more efficient structure.
My concern is we aren’t filling the PYs we currently have. Which is why I think a reroll or secondary task for the musician trade would be better. In that particular case that is.

Exactly the sort of thing we should be doing.

I’m just not sure that the current musicians or musicians that get recruited would be apt for any real combat arms tasks. CSS type stuff I could see.

Allow them to retrace to fill existing empty spots, reallocate the PYs.
My concern is we aren’t filling the PYs we currently have. Which is why I think a reroll or secondary task for the musician trade would be better. In that particular case that is.
Failing of the recruiting system at every step. Why do we require Ottawa to conduct all the medical reviews? The RCMP has you get checked over by a local doctor, surely we can do the same.

Allow them to retrace to fill existing empty spots, reallocate the PYs.

Failing of the recruiting system at every step. Why do we require Ottawa to conduct all the medical reviews? The RCMP has you get checked over by a local doctor, surely we can do the same.
The medical still a choke point at the RCMP as well…

But I agree with you. The system needs major changes and modernisation.

What about mess dress / patrols ?
Still an official order of dress, few foreign accolades are allowed to worn, and ones that are, are listed in the dress manual, like the Brazilian jungle warfare patch

Still an official order of dress, few foreign accolades are allowed to worn, and ones that are, are listed in the dress manual, like the Brazilian jungle warfare patch
Fair enough I was honestly curious

Back