• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Diver Vision

UB6IB9

Inactive
Reaction score
A few years ago when I was entertaining the idea of joining the Naval Reserve I was speaking with a recruiter who told me PID’s need V2 and no laser surgery was allowed. I really wanted to be a diver and I wasn’t really sure if I wanted to join any other trade so I put Naval Reserve on the back burner. Sure enough I managed to get lured into joining my local cadet squardron and I’ve been there for the past 3 years. Now a few weeks ago I was having my interview and medical for the CIC and the topic of laser came up between me and the doc. And the doc told me laser was allowed for diver’s. I told him what the recruiter told me a few years back and he told me the recruiter had the wrong info about laser. So I was like WTF????? Anyways are there any PID’s out there who have had LASIK done? Even though my paperwork is in for the CIC I’m contemplating making a switch now.

Any insight would be great.

Cheers

Here's a crazy idea........

Walk over to a CFRC or NAVRES unit and ask......

maybe ?

cdnaviator said:
Walk over to a CFRC or NAVRES unit and ask......

I think his information came from the CFRC.

To the OP, my uneducated answer would be that a difference in information between what you were told before and what you've been told now might have to do with changes in policy on the issue of laser eye surgery.  Could it be that as the technique becomes more widely practised and more thoroughly proven it's becoming more widely accepted?

Perhaps the resident recruiter will be along soon to confirm or deny.

Actually cdnaviator, if you took the time to actually read over my original post I was clearly asking for insig.....nevermind I'll do it for you.......

UB6 said:
Anyways are there any PID’s out there who have had LASIK done? Even though my paperwork is in for the CIC I’m contemplating making a switch now.

Any insight would be great.

Cheers

.....i was actually looking to hear from any Diver's who have had LASIK done? My info was from CFRC. by the way, thanks for your input Neil.

Cheers

I have not had it done, but all divers meet the same standard, reg, res, pid, cld, etc.  It used to be the way you were first told - born V2, still V2 and that was it.  It has changed now, and there are Lasik corrected V2 divers.  I think there is a year of post op waiting before you can get tested and qualify.  That said, i have not personally gone thru this, and sometimes the rules change for no apparent reason, so its best to contact a Diving Medical Officer - they are the ultimate arbitrator!
Good luck, see you on the bottom

Thanks for the input gentlemen. The more I keep digging the more I want to switch over and pursue PID. I’ll let you guys know of the outcome.

Thanks again,
Cheers

Fire off a request e-mail directly to me at navydiver@bigfoot.com and I will sent you a copy of the Visual Acuity Standard for CF Divers. It is in pdf format so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or the full version to view...
Strength in Depth

Back