• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decline or accept the offer?

Newcanadian

Reaction score
Hello, I recently received an offer for the Naval Experience Program (NEP) six months after the interview. This is surprisingly fast, considering that I am a PR and everyone predicted a waiting period of at least 18 months for me. Now I am in a difficult situation with family matters that I haven't been able to resolve. If I decline the offer now and apply again for the same position at the beginning of next year (January or February), will I have to go through the entire process again (background check, interview, reference check, etc.)? Or will all of this carry over and my waiting period be shorter?

In case I accept the offer, from the information provided in my offer:"You will be placed on leave without pay after your enrollment until your paid service commences on or around November 16, 2024, subject to service requirements (if applicable); the intention is that you will be posted to the Canadian Forces Base CANADIAN FORCES LEADERSHIP AND RECRUIT SCHOOL on November 18, 2024."

Am I required to report for BMQ on November 18, and not a day later? Or do I need to arrive at the location for BMQ before November 18?

I am very grateful for the opportunity and for receiving the offer just six months later. This surprised me greatly because, even at the most optimistic estimates, I thought I would have to wait at least 12 months. So I am now overwhelmed and thinking about how urgently I need to resolve all my matters if I do decide to accept the offer. II've heard that after declining an offer, you may not receive any more offers, or the waiting period could be much longer. I might just be lucky to have this opportunity now.

Last edited:
Have you been officially enrolled (taken the oath to the crown and signed the documents?), if not then talk to the recruiting office and explain your situation. They may be accommodating.

Have you been officially enrolled (taken the oath to the crown and signed the documents?), if not then talk to the recruiting office and explain your situation. They may be accommodating.
No, there was no official enrollment. I only received an offer letter by email for now.
By 'recruiting office,' do you mean the one where I had the interview, medical exam, etc., or the one that sent me the letter?

No, there was no official enrollment. I only received an offer letter by email for now.
By 'recruiting office,' do you mean the one where I had the interview, medical exam, etc., or the one that sent me the letter?
Those should be the same place. Call them and explain your situation.

What’s the nature of your dilemma? Is it something likely to actually resolve, like you’re temporarily caring for a family member who’s ill but will be getting better? Or is it something like parental reluctance about you joining the military that will probably be just as much of a problem six months from now?

Consider whether you’re actually going to be able to fix a problem, or if you’re just kicking a can down the road?

Sometimes you have to - hell all the time - embrace the suck for without further progress is impossible.

Back