• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DART going to Nepal, 2015

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Advance Party for the DART has deployed to Nepal to support earthquake recovery.
Canada deploys advance DART team to asses earthquake-stricken Nepal
CTV News
25 Apr 2015

TORONTO – The Canadian government is sending an advance team from its Disaster Assistance Response Team to Nepal to help the Asian country cope with the massive earthquake that struck Saturday.

A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Rob Nicholson also says Canada is contributing five-million dollars to relief efforts.

A government source says an advance team is being sent over to determine how the Disaster Assistance Response Team, known as the DART, can best help.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1961580/canada-looking-at-sending-dart-to-earthquake-stricken-nepal/

The following has been posted on the 2 RCHA Facebook page:

I am sure everyone is tracking the 7.9 magnitude earthquake in Nepal with more than 1800 dead and thousands homeless. 2 RCHA OC DART is en route to Nepal now as part of the Humanitarian Assistance Reconnaissance Team. DART personnel from 2 RCHA have a 0730 hrs DAG parade at Y-101 tomorrow (Monday) with all kit, ID card, ID discs, etc. Probable deployment will see soldiers gone for 30+ days. We will keep our soldiers and families up to date on this Facebook page. I know that there is never a good time to take our soldiers away from their families with such short notice, however, I ask you all to consider the people we are going to help; they have lost loved ones, their homes, and in some cases their livelihoods. Our prayers are with them in their time of need

Further to the above, DART is being pre-positioned in Trenton, but the decision to deploy it has not been made.

Old Sweat said:
Further to the above, DART is being pre-positioned in Trenton, but the decision to deploy it has not been made.

Strictly speaking, the DART equipment is pre-positioned in Trenton already; it's (presumably) the troops being brought to the Yukon lodge to sit on their rucks closer to the aircraft.

dapaterson said:
Strictly speaking, the DART equipment is pre-positioned in Trenton already; it's (presumably) the troops being brought to the Yukon lodge to sit on their rucks closer to the aircraft.

IIRC all the Engineering (I.E. ROWPU's, Heavy Equipment (limited), some heavy lift vehicles) Medical and, Vehicles are held like you said Paterson at Trenton in the huge DART warehouse.

If you ever get a chance to do a formal tour of the DART facilities (warehouses, compound etc) it's worth the trip.  Quite interesting.

dapaterson said:
If you ever get a chance to do a formal tour of the DART facilities (warehouses, compound etc) it's worth the trip.  Quite interesting.

My buddy was there when they got sent to Haiti, told me the emptied the water supply stores (i.e. all spares) from the warehouse within 48-72 hrs.

DART composition

The DART has the following main elements:

DART Headquarters (about 45 CAF members): Drawn mostly from the 1st Canadian Division Headquarters (with about 30 CAF members) and the Canadian Forces Joint Signal Regiment (about 13 CAF members) in Kingston, Ontario, DART HQ is the link to the governments of Canada and the affected nation, and to partner organizations such as the U.N. and non-governmental humanitarian aid agencies. Under the direction of the Commanding Officer, DART HQ is responsible for determining and co-ordinating all the unit’s work in the theatre of operations. DART HQ is supported directly by a Military Police Section of two CAF members.

DART Company Headquarters (about 10 CAF members): “DART Company” is the main body of the DART, comprising Engineer Troop, Medical Platoon, Logistics Platoon and Defence & Security Platoon.
DART Coy HQ provides command and control for its sub-units and sets their tasking priorities; it also provides a separate command team that can direct a split operation if required.

Engineer Troop (about 40 CAF members): Engineer Troop includes both field engineers (in Water Supply Section, Heavy Equipment Section and Field Engineering Section) and construction engineers, to provide limited utilities and vertical construction services. With its Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit (ROWPU), Water Supply Section can purify up to 50,000 litres per day of safe drinking water, provided in bulk to the medical aid station and for distribution to local residents. Once the DART camp is established, the other sections of Engineer Troop undertake other basic construction and engineer tasks required to support humanitarian aid operations.

Medical Platoon (about 45 CAF members): The members of Medical Platoon operate a medical aid station, a small tented facility offering laboratory, pharmacy, rehydration, preventive medicine and limited obstetrics services. It does not provide surgical or trauma care services. The health care centre can serve 250 to 300 outpatients and 10 inpatients per day, depending on their needs.

Logistics Platoon (about 20 CAF members): Logistics Platoon provides the DART with almost all its support and sustainment services, such as transport, equipment and vehicle maintenance, and supply.

Defence and Security Platoon (about 45 CAF members): Defence and Security Platoon is the DART’s source of security and general labour services.

From the CF Info machine

Canada deploys an Assessment Team and elements of the Disaster Assistance Response Team to assist in humanitarian crisis in Nepal
April 26, 2015

OTTAWA – Today, an assessment team and elements of the Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) deployed from Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario. The Canadian Armed Forces is currently pre-positioning its personnel and resources in order to ensure a prompt reaction, in line with Government of Canada direction, to assist in the aftermath of an earthquake in Nepal.

Quick Facts

On April 26, a CC-177 Globemaster III and its air crew will transport the assessment team as well as relief supplies, medical personnel and firefighters as part of the Light Urban Search and Rescue (LUSAR) team.

The assessment team will assist the Interdepartmental Strategic Support Team (ISST) in performing its needs assessment and the other personnel will provide initial support and medical assistance once they arrive in Nepal.

The Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) is one component of Canada’s toolkit to respond to natural disasters abroad. It is a military organization ready to deploy quickly to conduct emergency relief operations.

Yesterday the Government of Canada announced it will support experienced humanitarian organizations with $5 million to provide life-saving assistance to meet the urgent needs of people affected by the earthquake in Nepal. Canada is also a contributor to international rapid response mechanisms that ensure partner organizations are able to act immediately at the onset of a crisis.

Quotes

“In support of Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development and in cooperation with our other government department partners, we are moving swiftly to assist Nepal in this time of need. Canada has consistently demonstrated strong support for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations at home and throughout the world.”

Jason Kenney, Minister of National Defence
“We extend our deepest condolences to the people of Nepal in the aftermath of this terrible earthquake. Our personnel are currently prepositioning to assess the needs of the affected population and the most efficient way to provide emergency relief. The Department of National Defence and the CAF stand ready to help save lives, maintain a stable environment, and assist in reconstruction where it is needed.”

General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff
- 30 -

Related Products
The Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART)
Images from the departure will be available at forcesimages.ca

Contact information:
Media Relations
Department of National Defence
Phone: 613-996-2353
Toll-Free: 1-866-377-0811
Email: mlo-blm@forces.gc.ca

DART and the C-17's are a match made in heaven. I suspect as soon as the assessment team thinks there is space and role to play they will be airborne. I suspect that runway and apron space is going to be key factor here.

Colin P said:
DART and the C-17's are a match made in heaven. I suspect as soon as the assessment team thinks there is space and role to play they will be airborne. I suspect that runway and apron space is going to be key factor here.

Nepal earthquake: Canada readies aid, disaster team

A shipment of emergency supplies and the first wave of DART members departed CFB Trenton on Sunday evening — flying to Europe, Kuwait and then India, where they will wait until called into Nepal.

A US Special Forces unit of 26 operators had been training in Nepal and have now transitioned to support rescue operations.The task ahead for the international community is staggering.Entire villages have been destroyed and getting help out there will require the Chinook as it can operate at those altitudes.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/us-green-berets-join-in-nepal-earthquake-relief-1.342639

Having been involved in a few DART deployments on the Movements side, I can say this: the assessment team has to be very specific on what the DART role will be and the equipment needed. It can be very difficult to prep loads when the priorities change hour to hour, and there is limited space available at 2 Air Mov to hold items.

One problem they are facing right now is that there is only one working runway at the airport in Katmandu, so flights in are being held up in various locations outside Nepal until they can be scheduled in.

Doesn't help that that's the only runway at the airport.....

The airport has a single 10,007 feet (3,050 m) concrete runway orientated 02/20.

I had a quick question, I have a keen interest on humanitarian missions, and have always wanted to partake in one of them.
I'm not a CF member yet, but may be employed as a NCM ACISS Reservist under the 32 Signal Regiment Ontario, what are the chances of being able to volunteer and be picked to go overseas after being fully trained?

faivious said:
I'm not a CF member yet, but may be employed as a NCM ACISS Reservist under the 32 Signal Regiment Ontario, what are the chances of being able to volunteer and be picked to go overseas after being fully trained?

DART is staffed by Reg F members. Unless we're setting up a theatre somewhere for a sustained mission, not likely.

faivious said:
I'll go further and say that your chances as a Class A (ie parade once a week) reservist to deploy on the DART are zero, unless as a Class B Reservist you are filling either a high readiness position or possess unique skills.

There are many Reg Force folks who spent several years being "on the DART" and were never called upon to deploy. It all depends on the (bad) luck of the draw.

ArmyDoc said:
I'll go further and say that your chances as a Class A (ie parade once a week) reservist to deploy on the DART are zero, unless as a Class B Reservist you are filling either a high readiness position or possess unique skills.

There are many Reg Force folks who spent several years being "on the DART" and were never called upon to deploy. It all depends on the (bad) luck of the draw.

I had a buddy who was back filling the high readiness Engr position during HESTIA and he was left behind and the guy he was filling in for was pulled off course to go....

Back