• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

D-Day. ‘nuff said.

R

rceme_rat

As if anybody really needed to be reminded, although I expect there will be precious little in the paper or on TV.

You would think that the trusty CBC would throw at least a quick blurb on eh? A quick moment of silence while on Parade tonight mabye?
But...we in the "know" are greatfull.

In my work I have to date a lot of documents. Everytime I wrote the date I wrote D-D beside it some people asked what it meant when I told them they said ‘Oh yeah!‘...lest we forget... :cdn:

Just to let you all know. I just returned from a photo trip to cemeteries in Belgium and France.
I was in Ranville with the 6th Brit Airborne on 05 Jun. The parades and ceremonies are very moving. They even have the little kids cheering and waving hand drawn flags of all the countries involved in WW II.
Full period dress para-jumps and encampments cover all of the Normandy Beaches.
On 06 Jun I attended the ceremony at the site of the Juno Beach Memorial in Courseulles. It will be quite the thing to see when it is done.
I like all the rest of you only wish Canada would remember our war dead and the efforts of the Armed Forces half as much as the Europeans. French, Belgian and Dutch civilians travel through that week and spend a moment at the headstones of some of the soldiers they met during the invasion. It is quite a thing to see and be part of.

Back