• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Computer Programming Help!!

Island Ryhno

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok so any programmers in here I need help. I'm running Python but I cannot get IDLE to work, emacs, vim etc. Seems I can't get a text editor to work on my pc at all. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks

Ryhno

XP Pro, 512mb, 30Gb Hardrive, Intel Celeron 2.4 P4, I don't know what is going on.

I'm not sure why you're trying to use vi and emacs on windows XP...

I've never used IDLE but something seems strange... what are the instructions for launching it?

It's a "program" like any else, just double click the icon and off you go, except it's not working for me. I tried running it from CMD put it doesn't recognize it, probably because it's a subcomponent of Python. Thanks for your help though.

http://www.python.org/idle/doc/idle2.html

Try that... IDLE is written in Python, so it must be called by the Python interpretor.

Don't worry about vi and emacs... those can be left for a very bored afternoon.

Thirstyson said:
http://www.python.org/idle/doc/idle2.html

Try that... IDLE is written in Python, so it must be called by the Python interpretor.

Don't worry about vi and emacs... those can be left for a very bored afternoon.

emacs can be thrown out the window, but vi should be suffered through by one and all!

If you're feeling really adventurous, I'd recommend setting your system up for dual boot between XP and some Linux distribution. Python, and almost any other programming language, is a lot nicer to work with in a *nix environment, IMO.

yup, unix rox, prob is, I gotta wife that likes to play on the pc...grrr. May cause me more headaches, I can here it now "What the hell is this? Honey can you fix this?"  ::) Then I'll show her, and I'll show her again, and again, and again  :P I do love her, she needs her own brand spankin new 486dx66 lol  >:D

Back