• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Component Transfer (CT) - Regular to Reserve [MERGED]

I think you have some misconceptions on ResF life...

1. Cl B positions are set with a high and low rank. If you're a rank above the high rank, there is a possibility you will be allowed to revert to a rank lower to take the job. You don't keep your pay, you will now be paid at the lower rank's pay scale. IPC levels are irrelevant here. You're also not guaranteed to get a Cl B job as you follow your spouse, especially if you're not in an easily portable trade, or if you're a Snr NCO/Warrant Officer. The Cl B hours are set by the gaining unit, and some positions are year-long MATA/PATA backfills, so you're essentially working the same hours as the RegF coworkers.

2. There's some SMEs here on the PS pension plan, and I believe a thread that covers some of the intricacies of transferring pensions. You wouldn't be the first PS employee to work Cl A. (Edit: MarioMike found the pension thread)

3. You're never guaranteed 15 days of employment a month (I've heard of it in the Air Reserve, but never seen it in the Army). If you're just a standard Cl A dude/dudette, you could work as little as 6 days a month (4 half days in the evenings, 2x 2 day weekends). There's typically opportunity to work more, but its never something you can count on for steady income. Be prepared to support your family solely on your spouses income.

GunnerSun said:
If I'm interested in class B, is it possible I will not be hired because I am at a higher pay level and close to a pension? Is it true that class B work would mean a steady 8-4 M-F workweek of sorts? Will it be hard to get hired while I'm still RegF?

To add to what PuckChaser said,

Reserve class B and Reg to Res CT question 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/110560.0

Question.

My initial contract ends in just over a year and I don't plan to re-sign given my current position. I was thinking about completing a CT to a Class A Reserve unit instead; however, there's no reserve unit for my trade nearby where I'm looking to move to. This means I'd end up having to switch trades and elements.

Has anyone successfully completed a CT from Reg Force to Res Force and switch trades in the process? I'm wondering if I should just let my contract run out, take my release move and then fully re-apply, or if I should attempt a VOT then complete a CT afterwards? (Unlikely due to being in a red trade).

Is it possible to be accepted by a reserve unit as a different trade to complete the CT, then complete a VOT afterwards into the trade of the position?

Have an appointment with a BPSO in a a couple months, just wondering if there's anyone who has any advice on how to go about this?

Thank you!

rcminvcr said:
Question.

My initial contract ends in just over a year and I don't plan to re-sign given my current position. I was thinking about completing a CT to a Class A Reserve unit instead; however, there's no reserve unit for my trade nearby where I'm looking to move to. This means I'd end up having to switch trades and elements.

Has anyone successfully completed a CT from Reg Force to Res Force and switch trades in the process? I'm wondering if I should just let my contract run out, take my release move and then fully re-apply, or if I should attempt a VOT then complete a CT afterwards? (Unlikely due to being in a red trade).

Is it possible to be accepted by a reserve unit as a different trade to complete the CT, then complete a VOT afterwards into the trade of the position?

Have an appointment with a BPSO in a a couple months, just wondering if there's anyone who has any advice on how to go about this?

Thank you!

Short answer: Yes but...

Longer answer: It is possible to transfer to a Res F unit with a MOC mismatch and, in some instances, continue in that MOC.  It would be more common to remuster - but that presumes availability for training, which may be full-time.  That can be done post-transfer; I know of a combat service support unit in the Army Reserve that has had artillery and armoured officers, and bosuns and WFE techs on strength while waiting for OTs to go through.

Back