• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Colours, 3 and 4 RCR 1971

wheels031

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the reasoning was for awarding our present 3rd Bn with brand new Colours in 1971 and not to the 4th Bn? I remember that the 2nd Bn, Cdn Gds upon disbandment and re-mustering as 3rd Bn, The RCR; however, our existing 3rd Bn was simply re-numbered as 4th Bn, The RCR and their Colours were sent to Pakistan to be altered to indicate “IV” instead of “III”. I am not opposed to the re-numbering, as a Regular Force Battalion takes precedence over any Reserve Force Battalion. What is confusing; and I consider it a great waste of money; was the awarding of brand new Colours (previously presented to the pre existing 3rd Bn in 1969) to the present 3rd Bn and not brand new Colours to the new 4th Bn, when the Regiment had never had a 4th Bn (regular or reserve) in its entire history until 01 Sep 1970.

It would not have been appropriate to take Colours away from a unit to give them to another. The Colours carried by the Reserve battalion were their own, presented to in 1959 (Queen's) and 1969 (Regimental). When the battalion was renumbered, so were their Colours. The newly formed 3rd Battalion (Reg F) then received its own Colours (and there would be no possibility of anyone insinuating that theirs were second-hand).

wheels031 said:
Does anyone know what the reasoning was for awarding our present 3rd Bn with brand new Colours in 1971 and not to the 4th Bn? I remember that the 2nd Bn, Cdn Gds upon disbandment and re-mustering as 3rd Bn, The RCR; however, our existing 3rd Bn was simply re-numbered as 4th Bn, The RCR and their Colours were sent to Pakistan to be altered to indicate “IV” instead of “III”. I am not opposed to the re-numbering, as a Regular Force Battalion takes precedence over any Reserve Force Battalion. What is confusing; and I consider it a great waste of money; was the awarding of brand new Colours (previously presented to the pre existing 3rd Bn in 1969) to the present 3rd Bn and not brand new Colours to the new 4th Bn, when the Regiment had never had a 4th Bn (regular or reserve) in its entire history until 01 Sep 1970.

John, good to see you're still kicking. I haven't spoken with you since the old RCR forum went tits up all those years ago.

I take umbrage however, with your assertion that a Regular battalion takes precedence over a Reserve one. At the time, the Colonel of the Regiment recommended keeping the Reserve battalion as the 3rd and renumbering 2 Cdn Gds as the 4th. I don't know who made the final decision but we know what decision was made.

Keep posting. Good to hear from you.
Dan.

Michael

Not appropriate ? You ill have to explain yourself.
Soldiers will always try to mock their rivals, whether it is another Battalion or usually another Regiment.  That has been happening for centuries and it will last for future centuries.
The Colours stay with the Battalion they were presented to. If the personnel are transferred to another or even new Battalion, they use those Colours or they are presented new Colours. Personnel can be transferred, but Colours, always stay with the Battalion they were presented to.
In this particular case; this would have been cost-efficient, The way this case was handled was a gross waste of money.

John

Dan; so nice to hear from you too, it took me awhile to locate the new Regimental Forum.

Why take umbrage at 3 RCR being re-numbered as 4th Bn. I knew that history is against you and that all Reserve Battalions are always junior to Regular Battalions. It was a forgone conclusion. I have read about MGen Dan Spry stating that he would prefer to not to re-number 3rd (Res) Bn, RCR and having the 2 Cdn Gds being numbered as 4th (Reg) Bn. RCR. Who made the decision, as it now stands, I have no idea, but whoever it was, it was the correct decision.

wheels031 said:
Not appropriate ? You ill have to explain yourself.

The Colours stay with the Battalion they were presented to. If the personnel are transferred to another or even new Battalion, they use those Colours or they are presented new Colours. Personnel can be transferred, but Colours, always stay with the Battalion they were presented to.

The Colours did stay with the Battalion they were presented to.

Why try to raise this as a "waste of money" 50 years after the fact? What is the point of that aspect of your observations?

Back