• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Colour Vision

It seem's they have annex E up under a different name. Here's the link.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/policies/med_standards/pdf/engraph/cfp154_annexEappen1-2_e.pdf

something i noticed down in the occupational specialty section, what does colourblindness have to do with being a paratrooper?, because of the jump light?............

Trakalo said:
something i noticed down in the occupational specialty section, what does colourblindness have to do with being a paratrooper?, because of the jump light?............

Nothing at all.  If you go back and re-read it, it says parachutist and not paratrooper. You'll also see that
the minimum category is the same as being an infanteer. i.e:  333225

Since there is no lower Colour Vision (CV) category than 3 , being colour blind doesn't enter into it.

OM

OK thanks, i was scared there for a second when i thought there was a restriction.............. :salute: :cdn:

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I am curious specifically about this, and maybe someone can answer:

Minimum standards (as per doc):
Arty NCM = CV2.
Arty O = CV3

Is this a small example of where an Officer apparently does not have to be able to do everything an NCM does? Any elaboration or ideas on why it would be a CV3 for the NCM vice the O?

Meridian said:
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I am curious specifically about this, and maybe someone can answer:

Minimum standards (as per doc):
Arty NCM = CV2.
Arty O = CV3

Is this a small example of where an Officer apparently does not have to be able to do everything an NCM does? Any elaboration or ideas on why it would be a CV3 for the NCM vice the O?

Simplified, NCMs handle arty ammo which has different colours to denote different types of ammunition and officers don't.

kincanucks said:
Simplified, NCMs handle arty ammo which has different colours to denote different types of ammunition and officers don't.

Oh interesting.
Thanks for the answer Kin.

While doing the Farnsworth test if you get 2 colours mixed up is that a fail and your classified as a CV3 or is there a min. of total errors you need?

13. The interpretation of the test results is simple if no errors were made in the ordering of the
coloured caps; a grade of CV2, colour vision safe, would be assigned.

If you fail this test (make major errors), you are assigned CV3 Colour Vision Unsafe (Deutan).

despite paragraph 13, the last sentance lets you get away with a minor error. example. two reversed in order.
( 1,2,3,5,4,6,7  but not 1,2,10,4,5,9)

Despite the CV category for infantry being CV3, I believe it's preferred that you don't have colour vision deficits.  And since snipers are infanteers, well take it from there.

MM

I want to become an infantry officer in the canadian forces, i'm well aware that i'm colorblind and i know i would fail the ishihara plates color vision test, and perhaps the farnsworth one. is it still possible to be an infantry officer in the canadian forces eventhough im colorblind?

I was R031 and still a CV3. I was born this way  and nothing can be done to change it.
The colour vision rating  is more of a safety thing for yourself and the troops around you.
Colour codes on arty  rounds, gernades etc for quick visual ID. No one wants to fire the wrong round on target or wrong colour smoke etc.
There are trades that are closed to you  when you  are CV 3 but does not mean the end of a career in the army. Have the recruiting staff go over your vision rating and see what  trades are still open to you.

The book test is not as correct as the more advance tests,  the book is just gives a general idea of what  colours are affected by your vision, then you have the coloured disk test, put the pucks in the order of shade from one colour to  the next.  I failed the book tests ( was tested using 3 differerent test books to narrow down the colour problems, ) then I did the disk test and faile dit, but they  rated me Cv2 for my  personal safety, when on a call out at  LFCA HQ I arranged to get a Latern test  at DCIEM the same test they  give pilots and i failed it badly was given the final CV3 rating for my  personal safety.

There are many  trades open to people who areCV3, just be prepared to look at a few other trades. Mostly  likely  you  will find  the following trade areas closed to you, most aircrew trade, naval hard sea trades, some tech trades,  and some others. I remustered to Fin Clk  now a closed trade but tht  had nothing to do with me being colopur blind, just a choice.  Still a lot of interesting trades left to you

Can anyone comment on the necessity (or lack there-of) of perfect color-vision for Armoured soldiers...?

???

CV standards can be found on the Internet in Appx 1 to Annex E to CFP 154: http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/pdf/AN-Eapp1-eng.pdf

Crewman (Armour) - CV3 same as Infantry

If anyone is curious about being colour blind as an arty officer, I got in with CV2, and distinguishing ammo colours is not a problem. There's no way you could mistake an HE round for a smoke or illum... they're dark green, very light green, and white respectively, and coloured stenciling further differentiates them.

Only trouble I've had is in recce - if the gun markers are all red, I can't see them on a field of green grass.  That's easily remedied by painting a white stripe horizontally on the flag.

Glow stick aren't a problem - the red and green are far enough apart in shade.

I've been trying to find a place to ask this for a while now... I'm a reservist but still in highschool, after this year I want to continue on with police training for either OPP, York Region Police, or Toronto Police, maybe even MP. I don't want to have to go through four years of college (criminal justice course) and not be able to get in because i'm extremely mildly colour blind. What test do they make you do when joining the force? I passed the shade test on my medical test (the one where you arrange darkest to lightest shade) but just narrowly failed the book test, I can't recall ever messing up a colour other than in that booklet.

Army_Bassist said:
I've been trying to find a place to ask this for a while now... I'm a reservist but still in highschool, after this year I want to continue on with police training for either OPP, York Region Police, or Toronto Police, maybe even MP. I don't want to have to go through four years of college (criminal justice course)

I am under the impression that all of these forces give preferential hiring to, and may even require, those who have completed the Police Foundations Courses.

Army_Bassist said:
....... i'm extremely mildly colour blind.

Extremely mildly colour blind?  ???

George Wallace said:
Extremely mildly colour blind?  ???

Is that like being a little bit pregnant?  :)

Back