• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cold War Memories

Some of the "funny" memories:

1. An excited mother yelling her son's name the the front entrance of Minto Armoury Winnipeg on a October Saturday morning at the start of the Cuban missile crisis. 
2. The role of the Militia was National Survival (meaning rescue). We were taught nuclear bomb effects, knots & lashings, how buildings collapse, how to rescue from buildings. Practice from the balconies/rafters of Minto. Pity the poor simulated casualty, tied to a stretcher, sometimes flipped upside down, being lowered and hoping the lashings hold. The Ponderosa ( 3 or 4 building training village with the different kinds of collapses) at Shilo. Black coveralls worn all the time over wool battledress. WWI helmets.
3. Being told, in the event of an attack, to RV at the armoury, where the 3/4 and 2 1/2 tons would be fired up, convoy to Portage la Prairie (50 miles West), and re-enter Winnipeg to rescue the citizens!  Cars were not common place; steetcars were = time to reach Minto, convoy, move, starting vehicles in the winter, etc. Not a hope in hell before the bomb hit.
4. Summer concentration in 1963. Units were allowed one day of Corp training after NS training. That one day, learning never go to ground on a forward slope. Brought "under fire" , looking back to see hundreds of black coveralls all on the slope.
5. 2 PPCLI, Germany 1968: never allowed, even in garrison, to roll up the sleeves of the combat uniform due to the possibility of "Flash" burns from the nuclear weapon! If you are that close, what about the blast, radiation effects?

Bn practice, and 4 CMBG Quick Train. Germany being one armed camp. Autobahn, right lane, signed military traffic only. Bn parade, CF 104, screeching over the parade square, RSM (probably not flinching) also screeching "what are you looking at, eyes front). Night tank attack by the Brits against us, using white light. Absolute confusion. Sitting on a hill at dusk, meeting my Pl Comd for the first time. Capt Brophy asking if knew Barbara ______. He went to high school with her. Barbara was my sister! A young Maj Stewart, formally the Bde Maj, joining as Coy Comd. A fitness nut, he sure made sure we were in top shape. (I have had a couple of opportunities to reminisce those days with MGen Stewart. He remembers all the key Coy peoples names from that time).

Not so funny was the Prague Summer. The married rats were brought into, and confined to camp (Fort MacLeod). The Quick Train was cancelled, fearing the German citizenry would panic. (I believe it was the law that the citizens were not allowed on the roads to flee the Soviet hordes, thus clogging the roads for military traffic). Every vehicle bombed up, live. We were only approx 500 km from the Czech border.

One of my new neighbours was drafted, of course, into the Hungarian Army. He had no idea what was going on, where he was going, but ended up there.

The Cold War is over.

Rifleman62 said:
(I believe it was the law that the citizens were not allowed on the roads to flee the Soviet hordes, thus clogging the roads for military traffic).
I recall a briefing in ~1987 or so by an officer during one of our lectures.  Someone brought up "what about refugees on the roads?"  The officer replied that since it was law in Germany to remain at home in the event of hostilities, then there would be no refugee problem.  I suppose his faith in the German attitude of "Ordnung muß sein!" was a bit stronger than mine!

George Wallace said:
1990 was the last big "Fall Ex" for 4 CMBG and 1 Can Div.  There was no REFORGER that year, as it was the new reunified Germany's first election.  Canada was the only nation to hold a "Fall Ex" that year.

Not quite, we did have a FALLEX the following year as well, 1991.  However to be honest, it was less involved than in previous years, but the C2 elements from the rest of 1 Can Div did fly over for a CPX.  The arms units stayed mainly in the Hohenfels Training Area (HTA) and the other odds and sods played in the Requisitioned Manoeuvre Area (RMA).

In 1990, while there was no REFORGER, we weren't the only ones out in the RMA.  II (GE) Corps was also there, but there was not as much interaction as during the glory days.  When the German Unity Day (3 Oct) rolled around the bde/div fwd had already moved out of HTA and was in the RMA.  We had been instructed to keep a low profile during the day and after sundown all units had to be in a hide - and NOT in any villages.  We were specifically told to refrain from making any close recces of gasthaus .

I'm not sure if the Americans had deliberately not planned for REFORGER in 1990, but by that time their units in Germany were either on the way or gearing up to move to Saudi Arabia.  On the day that we moved out of Hohenfels, (while waiting to start the road move) the US medical company that took over the cantonment buildings we just vacated was commanded by a friend of mine (we had been on course in Texas earlier that year).  His division was doing work-ups before deploying down range; their move was scheduled to be the day after they completed 2 weeks in the HTA.  We, of course, were hoping that Canada would send 4 CMBG.

Rifleman62 asked an intersting question:

2 PPCLI, Germany 1968: never allowed, even in garrison, to roll up the sleeves of the combat uniform due to the possibility of "Flash" burns from the nuclear weapon! If you are that close, what about the blast, radiation effects?

The answer is relatively simple in that casualty causing thermal effects from a tactical nuclear weapon outrange both blast and what was known as "militarily significant radiation." The latter is radiation which would kill or incapictate a soldier within a short period of time. If you escaped that you might die later from radiation, say in a matter of months, but in the meantime you were available to fight.

Old Sweat said:

2 PPCLI, Germany 1968: never allowed, even in garrison, to roll up the sleeves of the combat uniform due to the possibility of "Flash" burns from the nuclear weapon! If you are that close, what about the blast, radiation effects?

The answer is relatively simple in that casualty causing thermal effects from a tactical nuclear weapon outrange both blast and what was known as "militarily significant radiation." The latter is radiation which would kill or incapictate a soldier within a short period of time. If you escaped that you might die later from radiation, say in a matter of months, but in the meantime you were available to fight.

The following is the article that concerned the doctrine for medical management of nuclear casualties.

CFP 313(1) Medical Services in the Field (dated 27 November 1970)
1307. PATIENT MANAGEMENT

1.    First aid treatment of nuclear casualties will be described in art 309 of the basic reference.  It must be emphasized that there is NO first aid for nuclear radiation injury, except for the simple management of vomiting, and that all casualties require medical attention.

2.    The immediate management of nuclear radiation patients will be based upon signs and symptoms indicated by the patient rather than on the basis of the supported dosage of radiation received.  Treatment and evacuation of these patients will be based primarily on the priority of their associated burns and/or traumatic injuries.  The interpretation of the medical significance of various levels of exposure to radioactive contamination is a function of the medical service.  The evacuation policy and maximum stay time permitted in a radioactive area are command decisions.

3.    Patients suffering from acute radiation sickness for whom the decision to evacuate has been made should be sent directly to a definitive or special care facility.  It is obviously to the patient’s advantage not to travel too far or too long, but nothing will be gained by admitting him to any of the limited care facilities in the evacuation chain.

4.    Treatment of radiation sickness presents a complex problem, and one that is beyond the scope of this manual.  The basis for initial treatment is:

a.  steps to allay apprehension by cheerful and attentive nursing care;
b.  the administration of anti-nauseants, analgesics and sedatives as required;
c.  maintenance of body fluids by mouth, if possible, or by intravenous fluids; and

d.  the maintenance of strict asepsis and the use of antibiotics prophylatically as indicated. 

5.    It should be noted, in conclusion, that the manifestations of nuclear radiation injury are usually delayed.  Apart from the comparatively few severe cases, who are really beyond help, symptoms will not appear for perhaps two weeks.  The immediate problem is burns and trauma.

Our panniers for nuclear casualties had large quantities of anti-emetics and basic analgesics.  Probably the best explanation of the treatment regimen for radiation casualties that I heard as a young MA was “Give him Gravol and an aspirin, make him drink a canteen, give him a pat on the head and tell him he’s fine, then send him back to the line.”

dangerboy said:
One of my memories is getting ready to go on my reserve Infantry course in the summer of 89 and the word came down that they were taking people for the fall ex.  I believe it was part of EX REFORGER (if not I am sure somebody on here will correct me ;D).  What they did was take the one platoon of unqualified soldiers and ran an Infantry course for them while the rest of us were in the other Pl doing an Infantry course also.  It was more or less the same as our course with the one exception, they had the new weapons (C7s & C9s) and they were trained on them and we were using the FNs.  While I could not care less about the C7, I liked the C1 the C9 was an object to be desired especially over the C2.  I was tempted to put my name in for the exercise but I was still in school and could not justify missing 2 months of school to train in Germany.  I thought there will be other exercises and I will just put my name in again.  I did not know at the time this would be one of the last chances if not the very last chance to deploy and Germany and receive some invaluable training.

Technoviking said:
I was a section commander in that "other" platoon :)

Fall 1989 one of my first duties as the newly minted CSM of a "Tronna Regiment" was to read the assesment of one of our summer
newbies who had been in that "other" platoon. Damn thing read like a lost kit report for CENTAG. 8)

Reading it did bring back memories of my own youthful adventures in the land of brautwurst and beer a decade or so earlier. Said newbie must have learned a bit there I would imagine as he went on to a relatively lengthy career with several promotions according to the unit's Facebook page.

Old Sweat said:

Probably a moot point as the synthetic material would melt into your skin anyways. Unless you're SOOOO old that you were wearing the wool battledress!  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Probably a moot point as the synthetic material would melt into your skin anyways. Unless you're SOOOO old that you were wearing the wool battledress!  ;D

This is why underwear of any type/sort should be BANNED according to Vern.  ;D

daftandbarmy said:

.......and that too, thank you very much. I still have two DT60\PDs. I was also recently at a show where a guy had a table full of CD V-742 Pocket Dosimeters. He was amazed when I showed him how they worked and how to zero them with the charger.  ;D He had bought them surplus and wasn't even sure what he was selling.

I wonder what my DT60 would read as if I had it read?  Hopefully not too much.

ArmyVern: ... and topless into battle we will go.

GAP probably went naked into battle.

daftandbarny: I still have my last set of battledress, as well as my black Fox putties thank-you very much.

Sitting in the back of a Queen Mary on late night radio watch and sentry listening to Radio Moscow on the 106 set.

Rifleman62 said:
ArmyVern: ... and topless into battle we will go.

Well, if the next big one hits the fan in Europe or Ontario ... that's all perfectly legal!!  ;D

Apparently, in a Muslim nation, it would just serve to cause earthquakes.  :-\

ArmyVern said:
Well, if the next big one hits the fan in Europe or Ontario ... that's all perfectly legal!!  ;D

Apparently, in a Muslim nation, it would just serve to cause earthquakes BOOBquakes.  :-\

There, fixed that for you!  ;D

Posted to Silberhutte as a cross country ski instructor and posing by the big fence in front of the sentry tower (East Germany, the Brocken) for a hero shot and being yelled at by the locals: 'Come back! For God's sake come back over the line!'.

Geez, I guess those little red, yellow and black trail markers I passed were actually the border, eh?

Border tour to the Czech frontier, tossing green liquid grenades over the fence for the Godless heathen commie bastards.  Major shitstorm ensues, many laughs had over many beers back at Albertshof later.  Beer fuelled international incident?  Nah, never happen.

Bumped with an example of Russia's take on Cold War Memories ...
More than 60 Soviet people die in Cuba during Caribbean crisis - Defense Ministry
The ministry posted on its website the information, according to which the losses made 64 people
TASS, September 09, 9:45 UTC+3

MOSCOW, September 9. /TASS/. The Russian Defense Ministry published data on the Soviet citizens, who died in Cuba during the Caribbean crisis - the acute confrontation between the Soviet Union and the U.S.

On Friday, the ministry posted on its website the information, according to which the losses made 64 people.

"The exact number of the Soviet military who died in the operation has not been published," the ministry said. "According to the Defense Ministry’s information between August 1, 1962 and August 16, 1964, in Cuba 64 Soviet citizens died."

55 years earlier, on September 9, 1962, in a secret operation dubbed Anadyr the Soviet Union delivered to Cuba first ballistic missiles, and later on the USSR supplied the nuclear warheads for them. The operation in August-October 1962 was a response to deployment of the U.S. missiles in Turkey and Italy as well as to the threat of the U.S. military intervention in Cuba. The growth of the Soviet military presence in Cuba, which is only 200km from the U.S., caused the Caribbean crisis - a dramatic aggravation of the Soviet-American military and political relations in the Cold War, which put the world on the brink of a nuclear conflict between the two countries.

Soviet military, who participated in the Anadyr operation, were decorated with state awards.

We were in 3 wing(RCAF Zweibruchen I believe)  from 1962 to 1966. I was born in March 1962 and we left Canada that June.

Forgive me if my memory is a bit weak, I was very young at the time.  I remember being told by my mom about the sound trucks that would go around late at night( we lived in the City about 20 miles from the base) . Every time the Soviet army in East Germany would go on exercises we went on full tactical alert. 
3 Wing had a quick response area and a fighter wing that stood on ready 5 alert for over 25 years.  To the best of my memory that wings task was to fly in front of US heavy bombers, headed east.  Both the fighter wings and the heavy bombers would be carrying nuclear weapons.  I was taught by my mom that when the sound trucks came blaring "Snowball"  my dad, then an RCAF Corporal and his crew had 10 minutes to report to work .  We were on the Audubon and one of each crew kept a porsche or similiar speed car in the driveway .  The crews would grab their go bags and pile into the cars. and floor it.  Maybe 10 minutes later the dependents buses would be around to take us family to the deep shelters.  It was a time my parents never forgot the terror of.  Thing is we were only 15 minutes missile flight time from the East Germans.  SO if they flinched we had to assume it was a real first strike and respond.  My parents had me as an infant and my 2 year old brother.  I thank God above that each time was just a false alarm.  If things had gone bad there is no way that Nato could have halted a Soviet aggression east of France.  We simply did not have the men/weaponry.

RodneySmith said:
We were in 3 wing(RCAF Zweibruchen I believe)  from 1962 to 1966. I was born in March 1962 and we left Canada that June.

Forgive me if my memory is a bit weak, I was very young at the time.  I remember being told by my mom about the sound trucks that would go around late at night( we lived in the City about 20 miles from the base) . Every time the Soviet army in East Germany would go on exercises we went on full tactical alert. 
3 Wing had a quick response area and a fighter wing that stood on ready 5 alert for over 25 years.  To the best of my memory that wings task was to fly in front of US heavy bombers, headed east.  Both the fighter wings and the heavy bombers would be carrying nuclear weapons.  I was taught by my mom that when the sound trucks came blaring "Snowball"  my dad, then an RCAF Corporal and his crew had 10 minutes to report to work .  We were on the Audubon and one of each crew kept a porsche or similiar speed car in the driveway .  The crews would grab their go bags and pile into the cars. and floor it.  Maybe 10 minutes later the dependents buses would be around to take us family to the deep shelters.  It was a time my parents never forgot the terror of.  Thing is we were only 15 minutes missile flight time from the East Germans.  SO if they flinched we had to assume it was a real first strike and respond.  My parents had me as an infant and my 2 year old brother.  I thank God above that each time was just a false alarm.  If things had gone bad there is no way that Nato could have halted a Soviet aggression east of France.  We simply did not have the men/weaponry.

More proof that every 'dependent' in Europe at that time deserves a friggin' SSM medal too, AFAIC  :nod:

We truly felt like cannon fodder.  Unless the enemy delayed initial firing there is no way the dependents could make it even to the shelters. Not enough time.  Given a 15 minute launch to impact.  Add to that the shelters were WW2 surplus and no where near strong enough to survive a nuclear incident.  If we survived the plan was to load dependents onto Yukon or other transport aircraft and evacuate us via Spain.  It was felt that we could not safely be taken to England in an emergency so had to go from the Azores transatlantic to Halifax

Back