• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT and POET

• Thread starter Thread starter LB
  • Start date Start date

LB

Inactive
Reaction score
I wrote in March, and it was surprisingly easy.  However, ignore this fact, look at it behind a veil of abject terror, and attempt to completely overcompensate for a weakness that most likely doesn't exist.
I was terrified, studied a bit of math, and managed to get in the 98th percentile (they handed me the wrong sheet and I got to see all my stats, I'm still wondering what the "P.O.E.T" occupation is, though I do know I did well on the vocab part.)  It's intimidating, and in my case it was my first experience with the military beyond, but I did well enough to qualify for all the trades so I'm happy (sadly, since I'm joining the reserves some of those trades were closed to me, like Airplane Mechanic).

And yeah, if you're worried about vocab, just read a few of the classics, or things on the Canada Reads book list, you'll do fine.  If you're worried about math, look at long division, ratios, percentiles, fractions (just knowing how to apply arithmetic to fractions is enough), and word problems.  As for spacial, that's innate to an extent, but try cutting out shapes, placing patterns on them, and then putting them together; think Grade 4.

Only thing I can really recommend for the test itself (and I do this for all test), is pretend you have half the time you actually have, and RUSH.  Then go back as many times as possible before the times runs out.  And never spend more than 40 seconds per question in the first spurt.

There are numerous study books out there.  I wouldn't dismiss that ECFAT preparation program so quickly unless someone has actually taken it and then taken the ECFAT and can comment.  The one thing that the latter will do is condition you regarding setting your pace in the different sections.  For sure some people know their stuff but they take too long on parts and end up running out of time.  That ECFAT prep course is a classic test practice approach; having researched the effectiveness of teaching test preparation courses for things like the TOEFEL, GMAT..., one of the only aspects of prep courses like the latter that serves to be effective is the practice effect: learning how to "take" the test.  The actual material on the test is very difficult to study for, save for the math.  But these kinds of prep courses have been shown in research settings to improve the scores of test takers, although it is generally marginal.

The recruiting center can tell you about how long your old CFAT is good for.  It will stand if you have taken it over the past 4 years for certain.  But, like Kincanucks said, you appear to not have made the cutoff score for your trade choice, which is different than the trade you enrolled as so you have to take it again.

LB said:
I'm still wondering what the "P.O.E.T" occupation is

Actually its not a trade, its a course, Performance-Oriented Electronics Training, conducted at CFSCE (Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics) in Kingston, Ont.

The course is mandatory training for LCIS Tech, AVS and ATIS Tech, and I am not sure if the NE Tech folks in the Navy attend either...but I know those 3 take it.  137 training days, according to the info I have off the CFSCE site.

Cheers

Mud Recce Man said:
Actually its not a trade, its a course, Performance-Oriented Electronics Training, conducted at CFSCE (Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics) in Kingston, Ont.

The course is mandatory training for LCIS Tech, AVS and ATIS Tech, and I am not sure if the NE Tech folks in the Navy attend either...but I know those 3 take it.  137 training days, according to the info I have off the CFSCE site.

Cheers

You have no conception as to how disappointed I am right now.

I was actually hoping against hope that there really WAS a position such as, say, Army Poet, for example, though I suspect that particular rank is more suited to marching with the primus pilus over the Canadian Forces.
Though in retrospect, it was probably pretty dense of me to even think there was such a position.

LB said:
I was actually hoping against hope that there really WAS a position such as, say, Army Poet, for example, though I suspect that particular rank is more suited to marching with the primus pilus over the Canadian Forces.
Though in retrospect, it was probably pretty dense of me to even think there was such a position.

The words I can use to describe my reaction at this point would be considered " msn kife" by some people on these boards.. so I say simply that,

"I laugh out loud sir".

Like... army poet as in writer.. ? ::)

This one did make me laugh  ;D

Like... army poet as in writer.. ? 
I was chuckling at that thought too....an Army poet. I am picturing someone standing in the mess hall reciting to a perplexed group of soldiers. ;D

Pieman said:
I was chuckling at that thought too....an Army poet. I am picturing someone standing in the mess hall reciting to a perplexed group of soldiers. ;D

:rofl:

Ya from the works of Homer Simpson?

"Margeo, Margeo, where fart thou?"

Pieman said:

Well, we have poets laureate, Army Poets would be based around a similar idea, just on a smaller scale.  And I like the idea of mess recitals, that's good.  Like something out of MASH, almost.

And I like the idea of mess recitals, that's good.  Like something out of MASH, almost.
Maybe have a dancing bear and juggling act in the mess too.  ;D Stikes me as something very out of place that's all.

You guys stress yourself so much, any scub can get in with a low IQ is the canadian military not the american.

You guys stress yourself so much, any scub can get in with a low IQ is the canadian military not the american.

And you are an example of a scub?

copecowboy said:

Nice punctuation.

Here, have a throat punch. 

Back