• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Campsite and Arctic Tentage - Cold Weather Operations Video

Also blowing in your air mattress (like the thumbnail shows) is not an ideal thing to do in cold weather as the moisture in your breath can freeze in the valve causing it to malfunction.

Also blowing in your air mattress (like the thumbnail shows) is not an ideal thing to do in cold weather as the moisture in your breath can freeze in the valve causing it to malfunction.

Which is why the wise, warmth seeking winter camper always carries a (personally purchased) roll mat/ z mat to put under the air thing :)

That's why they have that big inflation membrane on the air mattress. As an aside, a lantern hung high will give better light in the tent but will also concentrate all the heat at the top where it doesn't do anyone any good. Ours were always hung much lower down.

🥶

That where an air pump comes in handy. As much as they called them "self-inflating", in the cold they aren't and the "inflator bag" was garbage. One pump in the toboggan and one pers can prep all the mattresses while the cook lights the stove, and three put up the tent (5 men to put up a tent as per the video - Luxury). Under $20 at Crappy Tire and it can also be reversed to suck the air out - works on a black betty as well. Oh yeah, the plastic hose can become brittle in extreme cold, guntape it before going out.

A wise Jedi you are. I'll watch the video later.

That where an air pump comes in handy. As much as they called them "self-inflating", in the cold they aren't and the "inflator bag" was garbage. One pump in the toboggan and one pers can prep all the mattresses while the cook lights the stove, and three put up the tent (5 men to put up a tent as per the video - Luxury). Under $20 at Crappy Tire and it can also be reversed to suck the air out - works on a black betty as well. Oh yeah, the plastic hose can become brittle in extreme cold, guntape it before going out.

Genius, of course.

FWIW, I had to exchange the issue thermarest four times over the course of a couple of years due to faulty valves.

I have never had that kind of quality issue with any of the similar self-inflating mattresses I bought from civvy sources. I always carry a z-lite foamy too, just in case, anyways.

Genius, of course.

FWIW, I had to exchange the issue thermarest four times over the course of a couple of years due to faulty valves.

I have never had that kind of quality issue with any of the similar self-inflating mattresses I bought from civvy sources. I always carry a z-lite foamy too, just in case, anyways.
I went through 6 thermarests at clothing stores when I last went to the Arctic before I found one that did not have a rotten valve block. Even then, I should have brought my own personal mattress up north. I would have been warmer.

I went through 6 thermarests at clothing stores when I last went to the Arctic before I found one that did not have a rotten valve block. Even then, I should have brought my own personal mattress up north. I would have been warmer.

Luckily I had a 'black betty' in reserve. Gold, Jerry! :)

Back