• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt. Leary Killed in Afghanistan - 03 June 2008

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
A Canadian soldier was killed Tuesday morning in Afghanistan when his convoy came under enemy attack in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar province.

Capt. Richard (Steve) Leary was killed during a dismounted security patrol with Afghan partners, said Colonel Jamie Cade during a Tuesday news conference.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080603/afghanistan_death_080603/20080603?hub=TopStories

EDIT: how idiotic of me.  RIP to the fallen, and condolences to those left behind.

:cdn:

Condolences to Capt. Leary's family, colleauges and friends...  :salute:

CF Statement:  "One Canadian soldier was killed today at approximately 9:30 a.m., Kandahar time. The Canadian soldier was killed by direct fire when a joint Afghan-Canadian dismounted security patrol came under small arms fire from insurgents in the Panjwayi District.  The fallen soldier is Captain Richard (Steve) Leary of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry, from Shilo, Manitoba.  During their patrol, the soldiers encountered insurgents who attacked with small arms fire. Capt Leary was struck while the soldiers were returning fire and repositioning. Close air support was called in and the enemy was defeated.  Our thoughts and prayers are with Capt Leary’s family and friends during this very difficult time. We are deeply saddened by the loss of Capt. Leary. In his memory, and in memory of those who have gone before, we will increase our resolve to bring peace and stability to the people of Afghanistan."

My condolences to Capt. Leary's family, friends, and all who knew him. 
RIP

Condolences to Capt. Leary's family and friends  :cdn:  :salute:

Dave

Statement by Governor General/Commander in Chief:  "My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I have just learned of the death of Captain Richard (Steve) Leary of the Second Battalion of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry based in Shilo, Manitoba. We are saddened by this tragic news.  Captain Leary lost his life while on patrol in the Panjwayi District of Afghanistan. Like all of his colleagues, he believed profoundly in this mission and, as an officer, his first concern was to ensure the well-being of his platoon.  Each and every woman and man who volunteers to help rebuild Afghanistan is a source of inspiration and hope for the Afghan people. I commend Captain Leary for his hard work and the sacrifices he willingly made with courage and conviction.  On behalf of our entire country, we offer our sincerest condolences to his family, friends and comrades-in-arms. Our hearts and our thoughts are with them."

Statement by PM:  "On behalf of the Government of Canada and all Canadians, I extend my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Captain Richard (Steve) Leary who died today in Afghanistan. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time.  Captain Leary was killed while engaged with insurgents during a joint security patrol in the Panjwayi District. He was making a difference, working alongside his fellow soldiers, to rebuild a war torn country.  The Afghan people have a right to freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law. These are the values that we hold dear in Canada and these are values that our brave Canadian Forces’ members are working to promote in Afghanistan.  We honour Captain Leary’s sacrifice. His efforts will not be forgotten.”

Statement by DefMin:  “Today we are united in our grief for Captain Richard (Steve) Leary who died in the line of duty in Afghanistan. To his family, friends and loved ones, we extend our deepest sympathies.  Captain Leary and his fellow soldiers are affecting positive change in support of the United Nation-mandated, NATO-led mission in Afghanistan. Their bravery and sacrifice allows the Afghan people to rebuild their country after decades of turmoil. I join with Canadians, in respect and admiration, for the men and women in uniform who protect Canadians and promote the Canadian values of freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.  We honour Captain Leary’s sacrifice. His efforts will not be forgotten.”

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect others.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for those in need.

My condolences to the family. :cdn:

Heartfelt condolences and tears to Captain Leary's family, friends ...

Another great loss for Canada ...

God Bless all of you working to protect Canada, and by His grace, keep you safe ...

Back