• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's Black Watch (history - merged)

• Thread starter RoyalHighlander
  • Start date
Didn't the Cambells kill a bunch of McDonalds when they were staying at the Cambells castle and thats why their name is dirt? Thats the story I heard........

Could well be. . .

All the Clans were blood-tirsty in one way or another. I heard a story where Lady Gordon invited all the Clan Chiefs to dinner and poisoned them. Sir Ewen Cameron is credited with killing the last wolf in Scotland. He's also said to have bitten out the throat of a MacGregor foe- the quote is something about the sweetest taste he'd ever had. On the up-side, commandos trained at Achnacary-the clan seat of Clan Cameron during the war, and nearly burned his house down!

:cdn:
Hawk

Hawk said:
Kirkhill-better not mention the Campbells to any other clan!!! I'm a Cameron by birth-a cousin told my girl-chasing teen-age son-"she can nae be a Campbell". We don't hold grudges or anything-stems from the Campbells supporting the English at the Battle of Cullodin Moor in 1746.

Hawk

Hawk, I'd tread lightly on the Campbell name.  About the only clan that got the best of them, and that only occasionally, were the Hamiltons.  My mother's aunt married a Cameron. Not much to choose between the Camerons and the Campbells, crooked noses or crooked mouths. >:D

You might recall that there used to be southern Regiment of Covenanters, the Cameronians, that stood alongside the Hanoverians.  Just as did the Regiment from my home town, Marr's Grey Breeks or the Royal Scots Fusiliers (Now 2 RRS I believe).  Interesting that the Grey Breeks were raised with the Scots Greys to put down the Cameronians and their ilk.  Then the Greys, Grey Breeks and Cameronians were used to put down the Camerons of Lochiel and those other Stewart supporters.

And FL - you are right.  The incident happened at Glencoe in 1692 over whether to support the new Dutchman and the Covenanting Presbyterians, or the Stewart King James II, the Old Religion and the Pope.

But most days the Campbell's can be trusted. 

The Government Tartan is actually the Campbell tartan.  The Campbell Tartan is the first one and the Black Watch the second.  Aside from the lighting the colours are the same and the pattern is the same.

The Independent Companies, the 6 that were raised in 1725 were raised by the Campbell, the Earl of Argyll.  In 1739, when the Companies were regimented Lindsay, the Earl of Craufurd raised another 4 Companies to round out the establishment of the Regiment.  Independent Companies of the watch had been raised and disbanded for the Crown since 1660.  But the Regiment's real history began as a Regiment in 1739 once the Highlands had been pacified by General Wade and the Watch Companies could be put to regular service in the War of Jenkin's Ear.

Yer Guid Health.

I'm so sorry-I didn't mean to offend anyone. I really must learn to mind my lip online! They still take the animosity toward the Campbells somewhat seriously in the Highlands-more a joke in Canada. My husband's niece married a Campbell-his uncle was at the wedding in full regalia-he looked amazing.

As long as you remember the Cameronians and Locheil's men are two different peoples!!!

Incidently-we have the typical Cameron bump on our noses!!

Hawk

Hawk said:
I'm so sorry-I didn't mean to offend anyone. I really must learn to mind my lip online! They still take the animosity toward the Campbells somewhat seriously in the Highlands-more a joke in Canada. My husband's niece married a Campbell-his uncle was at the wedding in full regalia-he looked amazing.

As long as you remember the Cameronians and Locheil's men are two different peoples!!!

Incidently-we have the typical Cameron bump on our noses!!

Hawk

Aw that's alright Tcheuchter  >:D - as you say - over here its not the issue it is back there.  The tribal lines were drawn long before the Romans showed up. As the Highland/Lowland Camerons show as well.  ;)

Funny you should mention about the Cameron nose.  As well as the Campbell mouth I remember a book that I was reading about the British Royals and they commented how all the portraits of the Stewart kings show the same droopy eyelids.    A mate of mine that I met over here, had that same cast to the eye.  When I met him I asked him if he had any Stewart blood in him he said his name was Shand - a sept of the Stewarts.  Those genetic traits seem to be pretty hardwired sometimes.

PS - Just to let you know, we have the occasional Campbell show up on this site.  ;)

Boy I'm glad I apologized!

We also have a droopy eye lid-but fom the English side of our family-and a look at a picture of my Father, and you can picture him in a Centurian's helmet! Interesting.

The biggest problem they had on the Highlands, all through their history was the fact that the Clans couldn't get along. When Dundee managed to unite them at the battle near Blair Atholl in 1689 - it was a bloody route of the English. Our Sir Ewan was there, too!!

I was somewhat concerned when they got home rule-there is still at least some animosity between the clans (thence my Campbell comments) but they're managing to keep a lid on it. Maybe they've finally grown up!

Hawk

Hawk said:
... Maybe they've finally grown up!

Hawk

Aye......anything's possible.  Although from my last trip to Ayrshire a year or so ago I have my doubts.

I just heard the noon news on CBC. Tony Blair has asked (pleaded?) with Scotland not to vote for independence. In discussion with my Sassanach husband, neither of us think it would be good for Scotland. Its interesting to contemplate, but could they be a separate, self-supporting country? They seem to be succeeding as a sort-of province on England.

If you ask an English person what nationality they are they will say British but if you ask a Scottish person they will say Scottish.
Kind of like the Canadian/Québécois thing here I guess…..
Yeah I don’t think people take it seriously over here, we have a lot of Rabbie Burns Day Scottish, kinda similar to the Green Beer Irish that will be around tommorow.  I am a MacKay and we are supposed to hate the Sutherlands (they took our land) but the only Sutherland I know is a good guy.
Mind you I thought he was a good kid before I learned his last name, otherwise who knows!

English father, Scottish mother, Scots and English grandparents, born in Scotland, raised in Scotland and England - I am not in the best position to offer an unbiased opinion.  Personally, I think they would be daft to declare independence.  The Union made Scots and Scotland.  Until this oil issue came to the fore separation was background noise heard at Murrayfield rugby pitch.  Now the Scots think the English are getting too much Scots oil.  The English think the Scots are getting too much of the money earned from British oil.

Insh'allah.

My point exactly-along the lines of "if it works, don't fix it".

To my mind, it would be a disaster any way but the way it is now.

Hawk

Well the scottish and english might both feel the other is getting too much oil but its not going to be as bad as
Nigeria/Iraq/Sudan
At least they will solve their problem civially
It can get ugly when countries have both natural resources and differnt ethinc groups
Esp when their country got created by Europeans :p

:cdn:so on that topic lets nationalize the oil fields and spread that wealth from Victoria to Newfoundland!:cdn:

FascistLibertarian said:
Well the scottish and english might both feel the other is getting too much oil but its not going to be as bad as
Nigeria/Iraq/Sudan
At least they will solve their problem civially
It can get ugly when countries have both natural resources and differnt ethinc groups
Esp when their country got created by Europeans :p

:cdn:so on that topic lets nationalize the oil fields and spread that wealth from Victoria to Newfoundland!:cdn:

Fascist...you've obviously never been to a football match ;D  You might consider your optimism misplaced.

As to your last suggestion - you really do want to stir the pot, don't you?  >:D

Aye - but football hooligans are another subject entirely!!! >:D

Hawk

I have been to one football match that was a very low division in France, in the burbs, it was so much fun!
And i was in a bar in Paris when Arsenal lost to Barcelona. I was scared it would "kick off" lol, not my fight.
Now if the Leafs won ;)

There are some very short rare videos of the Black Watch during the last parade at Camp Gagetown . Maybe there is a generation out there that never knew we had other Regiments than what we have today . This great Regiment and it's sad demise along with  others during the early 70's . The 3rd Battalion (Reserve) is still going .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3c9EPCICTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZbItYlpvs      :salute:

At least according to the Canadian Press' French wire....
Pour la première fois de l'histoire du Canada, un francophone dirigera bientôt un régiment écossais du pays.  Un gros cadeau attend le lieutenant-colonel Bruno Plourde à son retour d'Afghanistan: le commandement de son régiment de réserve, le Royal Highland Regiment du Canada, couramment appelé the Black Watch, une institution établie en plein centre-ville de Montréal, rue Bleury.  Bruno Plourde ne savait même pas, à l'origine, qu'il allait créer ainsi un précédent, jusqu'à ce que ses camarades le lui fassent remarquer, a-t-il confié tout bonnement, au quartier-général de la police où il est posté, non loin de la ville de Kandahar ....

If I've read the lead correctly, CP is not correct - this is not the FIRST time a Francophone has commanded a Scottish regiment in Canada.  Then-Major Daniel Lapointe (of the Royal 22e Regiment) was CO of the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment in the late 1990s/early 2000s (news release attached).

milnews.ca said:
At least according to the Canadian Press' French wire....
If I've read the lead correctly, CP is not correct - this is not the FIRST time a Francophone has commanded a Scottish regiment in Canada.  Then-Major Daniel Lapointe (of the Royal 22e Regiment) was CO of the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment in the late 1990s/early 2000s (news release attached).

Unofficial translation  ;D

For the first time in Canada's history a french-Canadian will command a scottish regiment. A big surprise awaits LCOL Brune Plourde when he returns from Afghanistan: command of his own reserve Regiment, the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada, usually called the Black Watch, an institution based in downtown Montreal, Bleury street. Bruno Plourde did not know he would be setting such a precedent until his colleagues told him so, he says cheerfully from the Police HQ (not sure what's being referred to here) where he is posted, not far from Kandahar City...

off126 said:
Unofficial translation  ;D

For the first time in Canada's history a french-Canadian will command a scottish regiment. A big surprise awaits LCOL Brune Plourde when he returns from Afghanistan: command of his own reserve Regiment, the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada, usually called the Black Watch, an institution based in downtown Montreal, Bleury street. Bruno Plourde did not know he would be setting such a precedent until his colleagues told him so, he says cheerfully from the Police HQ (not sure what's being referred to here) where he is posted, not far from Kandahar City...

Merci pour votre assistance - I'm correct, and CP is wrong.

It's Bruno, not Brune.  Other than that, a good translation.

Back