• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada will send troops to areas of the world levelled by last week's tsunamis

I was assuming he meant a civilian freighter, which would likely be from one of the docks around Vancouver. They're much more effective at hauling large amounts of cargo than anything the military has...
And you know this how? Have you ever been on an AOR or watched one being loaded or unloaded? Ever been involved in a replenishment at sea?

Ex-Dragoon said:
And you know this how? Have you ever been on an AOR or watched one being loaded or unloaded? Ever been involved in a replenishment at sea?

Ok, so I phrased the second part of that badly, and should have provided some more detail. Also, I jumped the gun and misread it as a cargo haul not the provision of "other required military capabilities." Chalk one up to not paying enough attention. Oops   :-[

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

As for the reason for that statement if it were just a cargo haul at issue:
I'm wasn't downplaying the versatility of our AOR's, merely thinking that for a pure cargo haul from point A to point B a ship designed specifically for this is more reasonable, as it is set up entirely for cargo containers and has a much smaller crew.

Another Recce Guy said:
If the government wanted to make it happen, they could.

Political lazyness is what I call it.

Then again be in there shoes for a minute, now after it is being announced there going everyone and there mother are going after the government for even bothering to HAVE a DART unit (Or whatever it may fall under).

I'll see if I can scrounge up the articles.

They need to have someone on the ground first t see what is needed in the area (I believe the term is COMMANDERS RECCE).  I think we're doing a pretty good job so far of supporting the disaster assistance.  When the PM returns from his visit and sits down with the Yanks and Brits, I'm sure we'll here more.

I agree fully with the recce thing btw, besides would you wanna end up putting something worth 20 million in a middle of a governmnet vs rebel battle?  Wouldn't think so.

Jay Hunter said:
I agree fully with the recce thing btw, besides would you wanna end up putting something worth 20 million in a middle of a governmnet vs rebel battle?   Wouldn't think so.

Golly gosh ... what an extraordinary coincidence that you'd mention that this morning ...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/01/09/srilanka.violence/index.html

Sunday, January 9, 2005 Posted: 3:54 AM EST (0854 GMT)
BERUWALA, Sri Lanka (CNN) -- A grenade attack has killed three people and wounded 34 others in eastern Sri Lanka, where tsunami relief efforts are underway.

Back