• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada‘s Reaction to Deployment

enfield

Inactive
Reaction score
I feel a need to post this observation.
For the past two days since Canada announced it‘s participation in the current effort, I‘ve been watching CBC and reading various news sources and discussion boards, as all of us have.
I‘ve seen policitians from all parties get together and say how much they support the CF, how great the CF, etc. etc. I‘ve seen public opinion and read message boards full of civilians praising the CF in their current effort.
Now, where the hell was all of this support and pro-military love in the past 15 years? Where was it when the Airborne was dishonorable disbanded? When the Somalia scandal was underway? When our budget was slashed to 9 billion a year? When the latest scandal hit - be it women, training, whatever? Where is this public support when we‘re short 5,000 recruits? When your average Canandian can‘t name a regiment, nor recognize a Canandian soldier (any reservist who take sthe bus to work can attest to this). While I appreciate the support the CF is now getting, I have to say i find it bittersweet.

For it‘s Tommy this, an‘ Tommy that, an‘ "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it‘s "Saviour of ‘is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An‘ it‘s Tommy this, an‘ Tommy that, an‘ anything you please;
An‘ Tommy ain‘t a bloomin‘ fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!
- part of "Tommy", by Kipling.

i knew about world war I/II then all three of my english teachers at school.
they taught about when a battle was fought an why,i knew who fought it,where they fought it,under wut circumstances they fought it and what politics were behind it.
(i also knew how to strip the lee enfields mr. patterson brought to school as a demo :D )

kinda sad eh?
:cdn:

spelling/grammer correction:
" i know MORE about ww I/II than all thre of my english teachers"

Back