• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camp Ipperwash Alumni Association

• Thread starter the patriot
  • Start date
T

the patriot

Hello,

I‘ve come across something that is still a sensitive topic for those who remember Ipperwash as a training area for those who served under LFCA. Apparently it is a sore spot for the cadets as well who were in uniform while the camp was still operational. Please find listed the website for the Camp Ipperwash Alumni Association.

Camp Ipperwash Alumni Association

-the patriot- :cdn:

Is there anywhere else I could find more information on this? How big was the base? Was anybody killed? What excatly happened? The web site said it was an armed uprising by the First Nations but that doesn‘t really tell you much.

It was land that was annexed by the federal government in 1942 from the First Nations. The base itself was fairly large, with a range for the firing of rifles, a tank range, a range for anti-armour weapons etc. One could say it was about the size of Meaford. I can‘t really estimate the size, but that should provide you with a rough idea of how big it was. And to answer your question, yes someone was killed. A native protester by the name of Dudley George was killed by an OPP sniper. That OPP officer is now facing charges and removal from the police service.

-the patriot- :cdn:

The people doing the Ipperwash thing have good intentions but their knowledge of what it was all about leaves lots to be desired. I fully support anyone who wishes to support any part of our military heritage that interests them; BUT, please, get the facts straight before you get on a band wagon and make statements which you can neither support or are wrong.
Canada has THE greatest military heritage of any country in the world. We don‘t start a fight, but we sure as **** finish it. (in spite of the gov‘t, not because of it). The soldiers of today (2002) are no different to those of us (1860-2001). The big difference is what gov‘t support was given. THAT is the thing.
Sarcee Bks and Currie Bks are 2 different entities, as is their history. Work Point Bks goes back to before WW I (1914 for those that don‘t know the dates).
A point to remember: The world did not start on the day we were born.
B Walford CD (with bar)

Ipperwash was about 3k by 4k on the shore of Lake Huron on highway 21. I still have a map around here somewhere. There was no tank range. There were rifle, pistol, and grenade ranges and tucked in the woods, just past the gas shack, there was a rocket range.

Re: Ipperwash
      As both a former cadet and  alumni of the ipperwash cadet camp and being a first nations person I would like to give my "opinions" . I greatly enjoyed being at ipperwash and i consider them to be the best years of my life. At Ipperwash i learned how to be a man. when i returned home from there i stood straight and proud because i learned things that i could never learn anywhere else. Imagine the suprised teachers when i constantly corrected them in geography when talking about maps. I learned to fire an FN which when you are a kid is pretty frikken awesome. I used the skills i learned there when i hunt moose and deer now. I learned how to survive in the bush...which saved my life a few times. and who can forget the meaford tornado lol. I was saddened by the turn of events in the death of dudley george though...and i support the right of the stoney and kettle point first nations in the recovery of their ancestral homelands and sacred sights. Afterall...they were promised the return of the land after WW II had ended. well...thats all....    wish you all peace and good health for life. 
                                                                          john purdy

Hello there;

I am new to this site.  I was at IACC as a cadet '84, '85, and call-out '86, '87.  I made many good friends there, unfortunately have not had any contact with anyone from my cadet days since I left cadets.  Surely there must be someplace to re-hash old acquaintances, if you know of any, please advise me.

If you, yourself were @ IACC between '84 and '87 I would like to hear from you.  Please e-mail me @ < frisbeedude2003@yahoo.ca >

Thank you,

Marc LeBlanc

the patriot said:
It was land that was annexed by the federal government in 1942 from the First Nations.  The base itself was fairly large, with a range for the firing of rifles, a tank range, a range for anti-armour weapons etc.  One could say it was about the size of Meaford.  I can't really estimate the size, but that should provide you with a rough idea of how big it was.  And to answer your question, yes someone was killed.  A native protester by the name of Dudley George was killed by an OPP sniper.  That OPP officer is now facing charges and removal from the police service.

-the patriot-  :cdn:

He's pretty much been tried and convicted, hang on he has been tried and convicted sent to jail and booted  out of the OPP.
His name is Ken Deane (not sure about the spelling) The trial said that he fired his weapon with out provacation it seems the bullet holes in his cruiser were not from any one in the camp, as the search conducted 3 days later did not turn up any guns of that caliber

I was there for the Final Camp. it was not a peace protest by any  means. Natives chased Cadet Officers ouf the woods at gun point.  OPP were the police powers, I hung out with MPs from Petawawa and Toronto who were sent there, they  were not allowed to wear combat uniform,  only workdress and sidearm.  Number 1 rule was to call the OPP for any and all native people problems.
there was an incident on the final day  of the camp, natives drove up on the base where the cadets were kept and they  returned a building they had burnt after being search by  Police for some reason,  clothes and other person effects were in the building , bagged and tagged by  MPs i think. I have pictures of the OPP searching the Native camp site on the base, was never given the Okay  to show them to anyone soI have them in a box some where.

after the cadets left  it got worse the news trucks came and it was a real circus.  They got the land back, and now it just sits there as a waste land.
I had a  great summer there working in the pay office .
lost contact with everyone from those days.
I do know that  res personanel did drive the trucks that  took all the ammo off the base , to london I think it went.

the real bad parts came after the army  left the camp.

I was at Ipperwash in 1985, from the Algonquin Regiment North Bay, Ontario.

Jeff Hunt, Red Wing, Minnesota  jeff@lauraszoo.com

Back