• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF now re-open to Permanent Residents

Good move. I will be reminding my recruiter to encourage PR applicants to continue to pursue citizenship, as PR status may prevent them from deploying to certain locations.

So what the USA, and others have done for eons.
Usually Security Clearance limitations will limit certain trades.

Ok - maybe I'm misremembering but PRs were allowed in the CAF before, right?

I swear this isn't a new thing (hence my title as "re-open").

Yes, PRs were permitted to join previously, but IIRC, that stopped after 9/11.

What about opening it to Commonwealth Realm citizens with prior service?
That’s the next step isn’t it? Permanent residents are already quite far along on a path to citizenship, so enrolling them expands the potential recruiting pool, but not drastically. But enrolling non-residents or those on tourist visas? Potential game changer.

That’s the next step isn’t it? Permanent residents are already quite far along on a path to citizenship, so enrolling them expands the potential recruiting pool, but not drastically. But enrolling non-residents or those on tourist visas? Potential game changer.
Many other countries use military service as a path to citizenship, why not us?

Not recognizing foreign service in an allied state is something we need to fix. I have a private thats an ex IDF Airborne combat engineer, should be warrant with his experience, but here he is waiting for DP1....

You're not serious are you? I know we can PLAR certain stuff, though admittedly I usually see a list of CAF courses recognized when someone commissions, etc. But given the process should be (... dangerous term) able to look at a TP, curriculum, etc., and do a proper comparison, can they not PLAR non-CAF service?

You're not serious are you? I know we can PLAR certain stuff, though admittedly I usually see a list of CAF courses recognized when someone commissions, etc. But given the process should be (... dangerous term) able to look at a TP, curriculum, etc., and do a proper comparison, can they not PLAR non-CAF service?
yes they can. But for some reason it takes forever.

I have a private thats an ex IDF Airborne combat engineer
Zach Galifianakis Ngapa GIF

Interesting career change.

Non CAF service is routinely PLAR'd.

Self-announced service vs actual service may vary.
YMMV, but have seen both good and bad PLARs for non-CAF service. In some cases, we've gotten great folks get slotted in with a bit of delta training (mostly to get some experience with the differences between navies) in others zero delta training for folks that turned out to be useless.

I think if we screen candidates properly though that should be a good way to immigrate into permanent resident status/citizenship. Lot of trades where there is a high degree of similarity by design so we can operate together/use similar gear. It's a lot easier to take someone skilled with similar equipment/tactics to adapt to the CAF than train someone from scratch (for the most part).

Back